Yellow | Maybe it's about time we should think about a professional image ?

Snortin Nortin

TB Lurker
Credits

FedEx does it, ConWay does it, Wal-Mart does it. Why not RoadWay & Yellow ? I know the P&D guys wear a uniform shirt and I have seen some linehaul guys wear them, but those Cintas shirts are hideous to say the least.. Have you ever thought if we were to wear the White shirts could be blue or Kacky maybe with a flag attached to the sleeve possibly a safe driver patch attached to the other, just how much that would change our image in the eyes of the public ? I don't know how many times I have seen a BigR driver running down the road wearing sleeveless T-shirts and such, personally I know as a consumer I would feel more comfortable knowing my frieght was on a truck driven by a driver who shows pride behind the wheel for all to see. I know as a group we are all professionals and alot of us are considered the best of the best in our field of work. Maybe it's about time we put forth an image that shines of the pride we have as Teamsters and employees of RoadWay & Yellow..
I am sure this will create alot of negative comments, but think about how unprofessional we all really look when compared to some of the competition..

Treatment would solve this.

This is actually a good post, However at the present time many are having a hard time taking pride in the job they are doing. The company has made many people insecure about there jobs and they also do not give any acknowledgment that we are a part of a TEAM. Little things like these are difficult to over come for many. Since YELLOW has taken over I know in our neck of the woods people are more uptight and really do not care about there job. I wish this was not true, but at least; out here, we as a group need to be shown respect and appreciated for the job we do before we will take pride in our jobs. By the way I am a Trainer and I do work to improve the company and hope that they will realize that all the employees are the most valuable asset they have as a company.

This may sound trivial and childish but if they did this I truly believe it would make a big difference in the attitude and performance of the employees that they just see as a cheap commodity.

HAVE A GREAT DAY AND GOD BLESS!!
:1036316054:

This is actually a good post, However at the present time many are having a hard time taking pride in the job they are doing. The company has made many people insecure about there jobs and they also do not give any acknowledgment that we are a part of a TEAM. Little things like these are difficult to over come for many. Since YELLOW has taken over I know in our neck of the woods people are more uptight and really do not care about there job. I wish this was not true, but at least; out here, we as a group need to be shown respect and appreciated for the job we do before we will take pride in our jobs. By the way I am a Trainer and I do work to improve the company and hope that they will realize that all the employees are the most valuable asset they have as a company.

This may sound trivial and childish but if they did this I truly believe it would make a big difference in the attitude and performance of the employees that they just see as a cheap commodity.

HAVE A GREAT DAY AND GOD BLESS!!
:1036316054:
great post justpaul.....why is it, that something as simple as that, seems to still be out of reach for management to comprehend? That's all any one us wants is to treated with respect, and felt valued....what a concept...

if you read your nsecond ammendment rights from the Constitution, it grants every citzen the right to bare arms.....so leave my sleeve less shirts alone!!!!

I would venture to say that not one shipper makes their decision on what company they will use to haul the goods based upon what a driver wears. Pricing and service are what trucking is based on, not clothing.

interesting concept but its not my style to wear most of those costumes......sorry but I do agree with the image thing....just feel the image doesnt come from the clown suit,it comes from the individual and I have seen just as many slobs and nasty people wearing them and guess what......Yup,they still throw a negative image!
All it takes is to be well groomed with good hygene and clean clothes. Put that together with a smile and good manners with the customers and you can leave the clown suit where it belongs.....at the circus. Sorry ,but its just my opinion.
If you put a pig in a suit.....He is still a pig!

Roadway has never cared about the company image. They have constantly sent old, worn out line haul equipment to the city. I mean, think about it, the 1st impression a customer gets of Roadway is an old, worn out trailer and line haul tractor pulling into their business.

One of the main reasons Rex will not do it is cost. They seem to think that the Driver should pay for these uniforms. Now Con-way, UPS and the others do not charge for the uniforms. Why would I want to pay to dress like that?

One of the main reasons Rex will not do it is cost. They seem to think that the Driver should pay for these uniforms. Now Con-way, UPS and the others do not charge for the uniforms. Why would I want to pay to dress like that?

Those at YRC that wear uniforms do it voluntarily. It says in the contract, that if YRC requires us to wear uniforms, that they will be supplied and maintained at company expense. My thoughts are the same as yours, Lehigh, if you want me to advertise, don't make me pay for it. :1036316054:

Carhart Work Wear is my uniform.... is that professional enough for you not like those pimp suit colors I see of other companies,

Especially those black shirts with different neon colors for each group at Fedex.
What moron thought black would be a good color to wear, in a hot truck in the summer?:chairshot:

I like leaving the impression on our customers, is when I start my air start tractor and scare the sh!t out of them. I had two ladies nearly jump out of their skin the other day at a business, when I started our professional equipment. We have had customers refuse to load to our equipment, holes in roof, ripped sidewalls the usual. I think our equipment speaks volumes when you are at a place to pick up. The uniform, it depends on the driver and how he carries himself. Like I was told by another city driver, it is like we go out in to the city with a rock in one hand, and a stick in the other, compared to the other companies out there.:tongue0002::eck15::puke:

FedEx does it, ConWay does it, Wal-Mart does it. Why not RoadWay & Yellow ? I know the P&D guys wear a uniform shirt and I have seen some linehaul guys wear them, but those Cintas shirts are hideous to say the least.. Have you ever thought if we were to wear the White shirts could be blue or Kacky maybe with a flag attached to the sleeve possibly a safe driver patch attached to the other, just how much that would change our image in the eyes of the public ? I don't know how many times I have seen a BigR driver running down the road wearing sleeveless T-shirts and such, personally I know as a consumer I would feel more comfortable knowing my frieght was on a truck driven by a driver who shows pride behind the wheel for all to see. I know as a group we are all professionals and alot of us are considered the best of the best in our field of work. Maybe it's about time we put forth an image that shines of the pride we have as Teamsters and employees of RoadWay & Yellow..
I am sure this will create alot of negative comments, but think about how unprofessional we all really look when compared to some of the competition..
Easier said than done, half the Roadway drivers you mentioned are probably running out to the west or south in the heat, and the a/c not working properly....as ususal:biglaugh:the other half probably could care less, thinking they are not doing a GQ magazine layout, they are there just to drive the truck.
I wore Cinta's uniforms daily in the early 90's, and I have had them as recent as 2006, and they haven't improved them in years. Material is scratchy and they never seem to cut them right. I spend a good amount of money on clothing, since it ends up with grease or something equally as nasty from the trucks. I won't wear anything stained or ripped. I provide my own casual dress shirt(i.e. polo style, and such), with casual dress shorts in tan, kahki, navy colors. I spent 20 years in the Army crawling around in a uniform, because it was required, I really have no problem wearing a uniform again, would save me dollars in the long run(states if company wants everyone to wear it, the company pay's for it). But, I would appreciate it being something comfortable to spend 10-14 hrs a day in. Also another thing is alot of Road Drivers really don't have direct contact with the customers, as they mostly go terminal to terminal. Whereas the city drivers do have direct contact on a daily basis.