Yellow | Merger

bubbadog121

TB Veteran
Credits
After reading the different analyst reports and looking at the economy I sincerely hope Mr. Zollars and Mr. Smid are considering waiting on the merger.

I am in no way suggesting that they not go through with it, since, it will position the company very nicely for the future. However, every analyst I have read stated that doing a merger of this size while the economy is slow is a huge mistake.

They all have pointed out that the merger will result in some loss of customers through disruption of service.The consensus seems to be between 5% and 15%.Their point is that a busy company can better tolerate that kind of loss to the bottom line than a slow one.

I hope that they will also consider the state of the economy when they made the decision to merge and what it has become.

After reading the different analyst reports and looking at the economy I sincerely hope Mr. Zollars and Mr. Smid are considering waiting on the merger.

I am in no way suggesting that they not go through with it, since, it will position the company very nicely for the future. However, every analyst I have read stated that doing a merger of this size while the economy is slow is a huge mistake.

They all have pointed out that the merger will result in some loss of customers through disruption of service.The consensus seems to be between 5% and 15%.Their point is that a busy company can better tolerate that kind of loss to the bottom line than a slow one.

I hope that they will also consider the state of the economy when they made the decision to merge and what it has become.

I don't know what ANAL-lysts you are listening to.... but if you read the ANAl-lysts reports/predictions since the day Yellow bought Roadway....they had always said, they were slitting their own wrists if they DIDN'T merge......

This "merger" is not the old ways of doing business, like ABF/Carolina, e.g.... it's the new way of doing business, and the smart thing to do, nowadays... cut office, back office, light bills, etc.... not labor.... We'll just be sharing the same bedroom, mostly...... (buildings & paper)

Aren't you doing things at home to reduce yer bills??? I know I am.... turn off the A/C, don't buy a new car, get a new refrig.... etc.....

If you don't stop the bleeding now...it would have bleed to death by the time the economy turns around....plain and simple...it must be done ASAP!.....KK

Let's Gitter Done!

I have a problem with waiting and stretching the "merger" out until the economy picks up. I think YRC has an agenda of trying to make us believe that all we will be "sharing" in these "Shared Service Centers" is the barns (including forklifts, dollies, shovels, brooms, etc) and the rolling stock (tractors, trailers, converters, etc). This the company can do without a change of operations. The tricky part is when they start "sharing" the freight. Up to now, a Yellow employee can't touch any Roadway freight, and vice-versa!

The problem I have is how the pickups are going to be "divvied out" between the two operating companies. If Yellow runs out of trailers, and the Roadway side has 3 or 4 extra, and a Yellow customer needs all of them, will the pickup call still go to Yellow who can then "share" the Roadway trailers to make the pickups for Yellow, but using Yellow drivers? Or will the Customer Service Center in Sioux Falls (union) or Des Moines (non-union) route the call to Roadway because they have the equipment?!

I don't know if Roadway uses Customer Service Centers for pickup calls like Yellow does, but they will have a lot of discretion over who gets what freight!

Bottom line......We can share facilities and equipment, but we CAN'T share the freight without merging and dovetailing the seniority lists...Plain and Simple! Many barns already have guys laid off and who is monitoring this situation? The Locals....yeah right! The IBT Freight Division....yeah right! The only people monitoring this situation is the company...and they will try to get away with as much as they can until they are FORCED to merge/dovetail these Yellow and Roadway seniority lists together!

LET'S GET IT DONE AND OVER WITH AND MOVE ON! WE'RE TRYING TO SURVIVE AND SAVE AS MANY JOBS AS WE CAN AT THE SAME TIME! LET'S STOP THIS "SHARED" B.S. and bring out the change of ops now and GITTER DONE!:chairshot:

I have a problem with waiting and stretching the "merger" out until the economy picks up. I think YRC has an agenda of trying to make us believe that all we will be "sharing" in these "Shared Service Centers" is the barns (including forklifts, dollies, shovels, brooms, etc) and the rolling stock (tractors, trailers, converters, etc). This the company can do without a change of operations. The tricky part is when they start "sharing" the freight. Up to now, a Yellow employee can't touch any Roadway freight, and vice-versa!

The problem I have is how the pickups are going to be "divvied out" between the two operating companies. If Yellow runs out of trailers, and the Roadway side has 3 or 4 extra, and a Yellow customer needs all of them, will the pickup call still go to Yellow who can then "share" the Roadway trailers to make the pickups for Yellow, but using Yellow drivers? Or will the Customer Service Center in Sioux Falls (union) or Des Moines (non-union) route the call to Roadway because they have the equipment?!

I don't know if Roadway uses Customer Service Centers for pickup calls like Yellow does, but they will have a lot of discretion over who gets what freight!

Bottom line......We can share facilities and equipment, but we CAN'T share the freight without merging and dovetailing the seniority lists...Plain and Simple! Many barns already have guys laid off and who is monitoring this situation? The Locals....yeah right! The IBT Freight Division....yeah right! The only people monitoring this situation is the company...and they will try to get away with as much as they can until they are FORCED to merge/dovetail these Yellow and Roadway seniority lists together!

LET'S GET IT DONE AND OVER WITH AND MOVE ON! WE'RE TRYING TO SURVIVE AND SAVE AS MANY JOBS AS WE CAN AT THE SAME TIME! LET'S STOP THIS "SHARED" B.S. and bring out the change of ops now and GITTER DONE!:chairshot:

Phil Gaines visited the Yellow SLC terminal this week. He stated that they do not have a plan as of yet for the operations here in Salt Lake. Our terminals in Salt Lake are 5 minutes apart. We do a tremendous amount of outbound between the two companies here which poses quite a problem.

this is what the suits are looking at during the integration meetings.

the company has to survive the worst trucking winter ever (there was no trucking industry during the great depression to use as a historical benchmark).

the company has to position itself to maximize growth and profits when the economy comes back.

you also got to remember the suits have to have the balls to cut a lot of suit jobs as well and let's hope the corporate deadwood gets trimmed a lot as well.

we have to remember to be stand up guys and not file petty grievances on a local level that will kill jobs 2 and 3 terminals away in a lane (this is happening right now to me).

I don't know what ANAL-lysts you are listening to.... but if you read the ANAl-lysts reports/predictions since the day Yellow bought Roadway....they had always said, they were slitting their own wrists if they DIDN'T merge......

This "merger" is not the old ways of doing business, like ABF/Carolina, e.g.... it's the new way of doing business, and the smart thing to do, nowadays... cut office, back office, light bills, etc.... not labor.... We'll just be sharing the same bedroom, mostly...... (buildings & paper)

Aren't you doing things at home to reduce yer bills??? I know I am.... turn off the A/C, don't buy a new car, get a new refrig.... etc.....

Cutting your bills and risking 5-15% of your customers are two different things.

My concern is that our bottom line can not handle 5-15% loss of customers at this time.
My issue is with timing.When this decision was made the market was much different than it is today.

Again, as KK pointed out we need to stop the bleeding.However, there are two sides to that coin. We can bleed through excess operating costs or we can bleed through lost revenue.There needs to be alot of wisdom applied here as to how fast we move on this.

Cutting your bills and risking 5-15% of your customers are two different things.

My concern is that our bottom line can not handle 5-15% loss of customers at this time.
My issue is with timing.When this decision was made the market was much different than it is today.

Again, as KK pointed out we need to stop the bleeding.However, there are two sides to that coin. We can bleed through excess operating costs or we can bleed through lost revenue.There needs to be alot of wisdom applied here as to how fast we move on this.

I need to resond to two quotes here, but I'll pick one and try to explain both. Freightmaster is the other quote that needs a response also...

Please Try to get "Change of OPS" outta your head. This merger is NOT like all the rest before this, because the way we all do business has changed, in this 21st century.

And bubbadog...Please try to not hink there is or will be a loss of 5-15% customer loss. Again, I don't know where you guys are getting these ideas from.

Let me tell you a little story ( yeah , Blue is full of STORIES ) Yellow and Roadway little satelittes are about 1 mile apart. We are still separate for now, but not for long. Ever since Yellow bought Roadway, both these terminals know, Blue is in the office, and them Roadway morons are gone. ( Just trying to say these Roadawy office here have been too high andi mighty for too long) Blue's blood bleeds red, not orange or blue, and she worked for both.

We both have this customer. Yellow gets alot more of it than we do. I got Yellow Ops lady ( at the time) calls me up and says her driver calls in and says a skid here for Roadway. I tell her, I never got the p/u request, and we have left the area ! She asks, do you want my driver to pick it up for you and bring it to you? OH ! Would you please ! And they did. This example has happened more than once, on both sides here.... (Yellow Ops lady lost her job day before announcement---too bad. They let the WRONG OPS guy go )

This is Yellow and Roadway BOTH working together for the same YRC BEFORE THE MERGER announcement.... And no picky-uni crap about who did what and who picked up whose. Who wants to drive back out(not close by) and waste time, fuel, just to pick up one skid, over some mistake.... And maybe lose a customer cuz we FAILED to pick it up..... Well, it got picked up.....

Yes, there is going to be some confusion issues for awhile... but the CCC is just that. They sit in an office, they don't know the areas.... and maybe not even in the same state. Just go pick it up ! Just go drag that Yellow trailer/Roadway trailer, ANYWAY ! And hope the office people are doing their job to keep it all straight.... Stop thinking of it as "It's ME or THEM !"....

This attitude SURELY is not gonna work....

And the post that said don't file stupid grievances.... I give you 5 gold medals for that reply !

I just had a road guy end up filing a grievance anyway, over some stupid stuff... when everybody was just trying to work together and do their job. BUT NO ! This is the UNION RULE, and YOU GUYS JUST SCREWED UP ! ( Roadway vs Roadway, combo vs Road )

I got a road man comes here often, he's also the Steward. One of my P&D was still working, but I had gone home. P&D guy was off yesterday, so he doesn't know the story. Road steward was hoping I was still there. Too bad I still wasn't. P&D guy says Road man was looking for you. He wanted to know your story on that whiny *** driver that just filed a grievance.... ( this is what roady steward had said to my P&D driver still working)

Road steward knows this place, and he knows me, how I do my job, and how we do things around here..... He stops by like 3-4 times a week....

Grievance road guy don't know I got 3 combo today to cover 6 areas, and the dock. They been stressed an working their _____ off LATELY ! ... I tried to explain to him, why I had offered for him to hook, up his tonight.... He went out on the dock and asked the combo guys if it was OKAY for him to hook set, cuz Roady didn't want grievance filed against him from the combo guys.... Then Road guy goes out in the yard and calls relay and says HE"s gonna file.... Yeah, he's paid whether he sits or works...so he'd rather sit, but he don't tell me that ! No, he ain't gonna tell me, Uh, no thank you, I'd rather sit on my azz and wait, and I don't care what yer problem is here..... Does this guy suck or what?????

If you got a good reason for a grievance, then ok.... but forget the cut and dried stuff/ line drawn in the sand...we've got to bend and give way, and help this company survive.... The END JUSTIFIES THE MEANS... or do you want us ALL to be unemployed?

If you haven't already read my thread, OFFICE News...please do, and judge for yerself. I don't feel like repeating, and this is why the boards were combined......

References

Bluemule Wrote:

"And bubbadog...Please try to not hink there is or will be a loss of 5-15% customer loss. Again, I don't know where you guys are getting these ideas from."

They come from the same people as you mentioned before that wanted the merger to be done five years ago.
Below are the quotes with references.
These were written before the Stock Market Crash.

An analysis of the pending integration of Yellow and Roadway
September 24, 2008 by Stifel Nicolaus Transportation and Logistice Research.
Potential problems we see with the plan:
Timing
As reasoning for doing this integration now, after years of touting the benefit of two separate brands and separate
networks, the company is citing the weak economy that has “created enough capacity in the networks to integrate
without interrupting customers’ supply chains.” We do not see losing tonnage and market share as positives. A
better time to integrate networks, in our view, is when times are good (balance sheet and margins are strong) and
there is solid density in the network. This way, unprofitable freight can be shed as the network is downsized to
have a leaner network full of higher-quality freight. With a still-soft economy and excess capacity in the LTL industry,
shippers have options and can shift fairly easily to a competitor of Yellow and Roadway that has a stronger
balance sheet and no integration issues.
You may view the full report here:Originally posted by KK
http://www.shnv.net/YRCW_What_Lies_Ahead.pdf

Research Bulletin Stephens Investment Report September 26th.
Downgrading Until High Risk, High Reward
Strategy Shows Signs of a Payoff
INVESTMENT CONCLUSION:
We are downgrading the stock of YRC Worldwide to Equal-Weight
from Overweight and are lowering our price target to $12 from $28.
YRCW is embarking upon a fascinating strategy that near term is
high risk, but offers the potential to substantially lower its fixed costs if
its merger of Yellow and Roadway ("National") is successful.
However, that payoff is likely a year away, meaning that the
integration risk needs to be more heavily weighted than the reward,
especially in a deteriorating freight market.
KEY POINTS:
• The primary risk to YRCW from shrinking the number of National
terminals/service centers from 586 (as of 12-31-07) to
approximately 350 is service disruptions. If significant enough, then
YRCW could experience noticeable revenue losses and customer
defections, perhaps on the order of 15% to 20%.
• If YRCW does nothing though, its prospects would also be dim with
National revenues likely to decline 7% to 10% the next year simply
due to the weak economy, secular decay in long-haul deliveries and
substitution pressure from intermodal.
• To be fair, it's not certain YRCW will lose 15% to 20% of its
revenues, but history suggests it will be challenging.
• The service and potential revenue loss risk is heightened by the
weak overall environment. With every carrier operating well below
capacity, we believe that many competitors will be eager to capture
revenue from any shippers nervous about the integration process.

You may view the full report here:
http://www.tdu.org/files/YRCW Sept 08 EW.pdf

and if you read the whole mess... from these ANAL-ysts..... it is a catch 22... a double edge sword.....

Damned if you do and damned if you don't... What kinda attitude is that? Or advice is that? ANAL-ysts are JUST GUESSING too !

I'd sooner go South to a nearby town here known for its psychics and fortune tellers..Cassadegea, Fl.... an give them 5 bucks.... least I was entertained for the day, and knew it was just for entertainment..... my weather man does just the same job of predicting the weather also...... Must be nice to do yer job badly, and still have a job and still get paid for it....

Can't talk of the big picture, here...only telling my little space in the big bad world.... imagine if everybody acted and felt that way? Don't worry about the big picture, just yer own little space????

Not picking on you bubbadog.... hope u got something out of some of the other stuff I had said....

this is what the suits are looking at during the integration meetings.

the company has to survive the worst trucking winter ever (there was no trucking industry during the great depression to use as a historical benchmark).

the company has to position itself to maximize growth and profits when the economy comes back.

you also got to remember the suits have to have the balls to cut a lot of suit jobs as well and let's hope the corporate deadwood gets trimmed a lot as well.

we have to remember to be stand up guys and not file petty grievances on a local level that will kill jobs 2 and 3 terminals away in a lane (this is happening right now to me).

WELL SAID! Paducah !

Maybe someone can tell me about the Boston (north reading)
I think both are too small to merge .What's their plan?

Maybe someone can tell me about the Boston (north reading)
I think both are too small to merge .What's their plan?

One year ago the same could have been said about Indianapolis. Now we have 60-70 on layoff at yellow. Our dock is greatly underutilized. It would not be that difficult to merge us now into one terminal, just not the best choice, in my opinion. End of story is don't ask to see them prove they can do it, if you lose enough work it isn't a big challenge.

Dovetail where terminal combine...separate boards where they keep the terminals separate! Are they out of their minds……..If you get layed off at Yellow or Roadway and you have Jr. men still working at other terminals then you have a CLAIM!!

Please call the IBT at once and urge them not to allow this to happen if this goes into effect at the change of operations we have some serious problems…

The IBT/Hoffa can not take our seniority away……And this is exactly what the companies are proposing~200 locations are going to merge terminals and seniority boards and the larger terminal are kept separate………

Please wake me when the nightmare is over!