Metuchen,NJ reports says,once again a Semi got stuck under a low bridge,oh my!

Trucks have been hitting that bridge for as long as I can remember. Back in 1965 I used to take the train to work from right there at the Metuchen station into Penn station in Newark. The bridge is still the same height and the only things that have changed is the trailers getting longer and higher

I just can't understand this type of accident, when the clearance is clearly posted and the driver can read English, somebody tell me why a driver would even attempt it??? Now maybe if there were no warnings, but even then the driver should recognize that he is about to go under an object that looks awful low and slow down, crept up to it, get out and look, but even then it might begin to clear and middle way through everything changes and "boom".

I will never forget when I drove for Johnson Motor Lines out of Charlotte, NC, we ran teams and this one trip they teamed me up with this "seasoned" driver and we had a trip to Springfield, Ma, We changed drivers in Maybrook, NY and he took over and this was before the interchange between 1-84 and 1-91 was actually completed. If you took the wrong ramp off of 1-84 for 1-91, you came upon a low underpass. I told him exactly what to do, I went to bed. Guess what? Yeah, he woke me up looking at the low underpass and I told him not to go that way. It was snowing, morning rush hour traffic in Hartford. We had traffic at a standstill, I had to get up, get my clothes on, get out in the snow and cold and then the police arrived and with some verbal abuse from motorists, we finally got backed out. But at least the driver didn't try to go under the underpass.

I've said it before and I'll say it again...if you can not eyeball a bridge and tell it is to low you have no business being in a big truck...

I'm begining to think there is a large magnet in the nose of the trl that pulls the unit twards the low overpass-just a thought

Aw come on don't be silly kantgetryte.
The bottom line on all of the low overhead crashes,comes down to very poor judgment,on the part of the steering wheel holders.

I just can't understand this type of accident, when the clearance is clearly posted and the driver can read English, somebody tell me why a driver would even attempt it??? Now maybe if there were no warnings, but even then the driver should recognize that he is about to go under an object that looks awful low and slow down, crept up to it, get out and look, but even then it might begin to clear and middle way through everything changes and "boom".

I will never forget when I drove for Johnson Motor Lines out of Charlotte, NC, we ran teams and this one trip they teamed me up with this "seasoned" driver and we had a trip to Springfield, Ma, We changed drivers in Maybrook, NY and he took over and this was before the interchange between 1-84 and 1-91 was actually completed. If you took the wrong ramp off of 1-84 for 1-91, you came upon a low underpass. I told him exactly what to do, I went to bed. Guess what? Yeah, he woke me up looking at the low underpass and I told him not to go that way. It was snowing, morning rush hour traffic in Hartford. We had traffic at a standstill, I had to get up, get my clothes on, get out in the snow and cold and then the police arrived and with some verbal abuse from motorists, we finally got backed out. But at least the driver didn't try to go under the underpass.
I remember reading about that. News article said it happened in 1912, and the trailer was being pulled by a six team of horses????

Whoa I thought at 70 I was old,but to remember a crash that happened back in 1912.
My,my,my you are really old BIG R GUY!

You got the circumstances correct, but you are off a few years, it was 1915 and I had been on a lease-purchase program and one more payment the horses and wagon was going to be mine.:horse****:

Yeah, I will admit that I am a "senior citizen", but with God's blessings, I am still a "productive citizen". First saw the light of day in 1935 and even though I was raised in a small town in Western N.C. I was taught to read and learned that "low clearance" means that high objects just might not "fit".