Miami facility losing equipment

terminal closing

We all at 68 were told that nemf is closing 3 terminals this week. Mt Joy, Miami, and Baltimore. We were told we are covering some of Mt Joy area which is nothing new to us because we used to have it before Mt Joy opened. Sounds like we are going back to the old way of doing things.

consider this phase 2..phase 1 was canada...phase 3 will probably be late dec january, i would guess all the expansion terminals....time to cut the fat NEMF....

to much freight i move coming from the expansion terminals...like more than 2 stops a day of expansion freight on my truck alone...if were closing terminals it's because we can cover the area from a nearby terminal or no freight to justify a terminal..i know others are doing the same thing all over the place....this wonderful stimuls plan that us ,our children and grandchildren will have to pay for isnt doing anything..god bless govt!

At the risk of being labeled a "troller", the best sources I have say that NEMF closed Miami, Baltimore, and another place (I think) in PA.

Good luck fellas and best wishes.

consider this phase 2..phase 1 was canada...phase 3 will probably be late dec january, i would guess all the expansion terminals....time to cut the fat NEMF....

You have no idea what you're talking about.

Canada was a business deal decision, pros out weighed the cons in freight volume.

Of the 3 closing now, only Miami is a "pull back" of service area. When you consider the distance to Miami from the NE, probably won't be much of bottom line difference to just interline with AAA Cooper and call it a day. The other two terminals service area will still be serviced as always, just from a different barn.

The expansion terminals in Ohio and Chicago are producing a lot freight for the traditional NEMF service areas. Closing them would be felt through out the system, and on the bottom line as well.

ok hometown dummy, we'll see in december or january..maybe it wont be the expansions..u could be right

i disagree with canada...its all a business decision...nemf is contracting..and their core is new england...the l/h costs going to and from expansion terminals are negatively affecting the bottom line..mike made a bad decision out west..time to pull back and lick ur wounds..

wonder why he would pull back when some way or another all the other companies with terminals everywhere keep things rolling..if they can do it why cant we?....that question is aimed right at the suits who make these sometimes backwards decisions..so whats gonna be the answer gentlemen..or will it be some kind of excuse

u hit the nail on the head....u have to understand nemf had its run...freight bustn at the seams, OVERTIME UP THE WAZOOO for everyone,and there was no productivity standards or o t..it was basically a free for all...but nemf was making money..alot of it...then the expansion started....mike wanted to be a billion dollar company for his legacy.... recession hit and hard...bad timing to expand, * * hurts more than it benefits it kills service delays l/h and clogs it up constantly..and when its slow its slow....now they have to cut back.....and theres not one suit that has been at nemf during the prosperity ...their all new guys.....and they are scrwing up big time and costing ms a ton of $$$$

and not to mention half of them have been thrown out the door for theft so why keep the rest...move guys up who know whats going on instead of hiring these precisious suits who just bs their way to a fat paycheck,run something that was good into the ground, then leave smiling all the way to the bank...if you take guys who actually drive or know how to get things done, move them up little by little you would see a world of a difference..but hey what the heck do i know im only out there seeing what goes one firsthand, making nice with the customers, getting freight on the truck and putting money in my pocket and ms's,,,but keep wasting money finding and hiring these idiots who couldnt run anything if it was directly in front of them... with a manual open....wake up mike..their costing you more and we could be doing better and we should be..listen to the drivers once in awhile...we may know a thing or two some of us actually care about the future

wonder why he would pull back when some way or another all the other companies with terminals everywhere keep things rolling..if they can do it why cant we?....that question is aimed right at the suits who make these sometimes backwards decisions..so whats gonna be the answer gentlemen..or will it be some kind of excuse

Several companies have closed and or merged terminals over the last few years. The yrc sinking ship has closed many holland terminals, and merged a lot of the yellow and roadway terminals.

Con-Way, one of if not the healthiest of the ltl players closed 40 terminals about a year ago I think. Those terminals service areas were cut up and serviced by the surrounding terminals. Fact is the freight base in this country is shrinking, so in many cases 2 terminals in close proximity aren't needed any more. This is the case with Baltimore and Elkton I'd say.

I have no idea why we had a miami terminal in the first place. My guess would be clothing (read GAP) related. Since we don't deal with that stuff any more, I'd guess it wasn't worth it any more. I know Florida as a whole sucks for freight. Cut out the over head, pass freight back and forth with AAA Cooper and call it a day.

The only reason there was a Miami terminal, in my opinion, was to service Puerto Rico. Miami was probably the closest shipping port & Now this is being done through the port in Elizabeth. We can still service Miami just the same through AAA Cooper.

My condolences

My condolences to the workers and drivers at Miami, Baltimore, and Mt Joy terminals.

I was afraid something like this was going to happen when we were asked to start moving equipment out of Miami over a month ago. Apparently Miami will lose 9 full time drivers, 2 part timers, and about 6 office/dock workers.

Anybody know how many other drivers and office workers from Mt Joy and Baltimore got the axe?

Just got back from Miami with 2 sets of pups and another day cab (81004).

It appears that all of the Miami equipment has been relocated to AAA Cooper's site.

6 more day cabs and about 12 more trailers are still down there.

Our latest trip had a boat load of fun to deal with. All but 2 tires on both sets of pups were low on air. A couple were down to 20 PSI while the others ranged from 60 PSI to around 80 PSI. Had a couple of missing lights, a bad brake chamber, and a leaking hub on one of the dollies.

I was able to air all the tires up (I carry a tire gauge and 50 foot air hose) on site. Regrettably I had to call for road service to fix the air chamber. The dolly had the brakes set so tight we had to back them off before we could head out.

All told we lost about 6 hours getting things going. We made it up to Fort Pierce only to find the leaking hub failed completely. We had to limp up to the T/A in Vero Beach to get it repaired. Too late to call anyone for an EFS check so I paid for the repairs myself.

Of course I will get reimbursed for the repairs but it is pretty sad that no-one took the time to actually maintain this equipment while it was in service.

Oh well, I guess I should be used to it by now.

miami

first time I have heard you in a whlie knock the company. you know full well the equipment is garbage but always looked at the bright side. The bright side is dimming quickly, isnt it???