XPO | ..."more love"...

Were you also guaranteed a start time? Did you consistently get to go to the area in which you held a bid?
Yes. Your run has to end in the area that you bid to. If there are two runs going to that area ready, senior man gets his pick. If the run isnt ready you work the dock until it is.

Yes. Your run has to end in the area that you bid to. If there are two runs going to that area ready, senior man gets his pick. If the run isnt ready you work the dock until it is.
I see, that's interesting, but it wouldn't work in the Con-way business model because they try to set it up to when a city driver hits the clock, his run is ready, if it's not ready, he tracks down his freight from whatever trailers are there, loads the rest of his stuff and leaves. As to two runs going to the same area, we don't have much of that, but when we do, the first run usually leaves a couple of hours before the second one does, rarely if ever will there be two runs to the same area departing at the same time, at least where I work. Lastly, our runs end where dispatch says they do, like today, my pickups were slow, I had nothing left to pick up and still had 1/2 a van. So I was sent to another area to get a volume pop before I came back.

I see, that's interesting, but it wouldn't work in the Con-way business model because they try to set it up to when a city driver hits the clock, his run is ready, if it's not ready, he tracks down his freight from whatever trailers are there, loads the rest of his stuff and leaves. As to two runs going to the same area, we don't have much of that, but when we do, the first run usually leaves a couple of hours before the second one does, rarely if ever will there be two runs to the same area departing at the same time, at least where I work. Lastly, our runs end where dispatch says they do, like today, my pickups were slow, I had nothing left to pick up and still had 1/2 a van. So I was sent to another area to get a volume pop before I came back.
Thats why we can turn a profit while others lose money year after year.

Just because your deliveries end in your area doesnt mean you will be picking up there. Dispatch move drivers around to cover volume, close time, and driver hours. As for more than one run to an area. I work on the first inbound shift, I dont have a run and work the dock until extra runs become available. So I load peddles. The area that I load to has 10 drivers that bid to it spread out over 5 start times. (3 drivers start at 7am that are bid to there.) I also build 4 to 5 extra loads, both volume and peddles on top of that per day. Of course we have an average inbound of 1100 bills and 1.5 million pounds per day.

Twice the trailers, twice the registrations, twice the doors to break and load.
Less signs run over, unfettered access to the storage units, faster strips, single axle tractors 'round the house, three more feet running the road (used to be 8 or more).

See I think drivers SHOULD stay in their area. We have guys that have been peddling tge same area for 10 years. Great relationship with the customers and very efficient on the run. The driver knows all the back roads, close times, and what the freight is to make better use of the trailer. Customers even call the driver in a lot of cases to let them know to come in later cuz they arent ready or to save space for an add on.
This happens with some areas at my barn. When I was in the city, my start time was 10:30. My run was also the second longest mileage wise.. it went to me because of the time the freight was back. Late. I had a great working relationship with my customers and all yrc's reasoning. The only time I didn't get that run was if it was done early and a senior driver needed something to do. Guys that liked their run worked hard to keep it, ie not screwing off. The dispatcher always knows!

And benefits.

When our uniforms were sent out to be washed in the past - I would look at some my coworkers ( sweat down their back , shedding hair , drooling , runny noses , passing gas ) - and just take my uniforms home. Some really great people , hard working , but I don't want to wash our clothes together.:9529:
I guess when you take your lovely lady out for dinner you bring your own silverware.correct ???

Reactions: ESP
I guess when you take your lovely lady out for dinner you bring your own silverware.correct ???
I have more of a choice with one over the other. And , it's partly mental with the uniforms I see the nastiness and it's easier to avoid since I already have to wash clothes , with silverware , it's accepted that we eat off of it and then wash it.

Last edited:
I have more of a choice with one over the other. And , it's partly mental with the uniforms I see the nastiness and it's easier to avoid since I already have to wash clothes , with silverware , it's accepted that we eat off of it and then wash it.

Also, I don't like changing at the terminal. I wear the uniforms home anyway. So what the hell ?