TForce | My wife has been the vice president of her union for 8 yrs.

Apostolic

TB Legend
Credits
When her and the president negotiate a contract on behalf of their co-workers its always give,and take.

She's in the teachers union,not the Teamsters.

Whenever they want to have any wage,or benefit increases they have to be willing to give something up that the school district asks for in return for a new contract with increases.

The only trouble she has is they'er dealing with a school budget,and bugets,that rely on property tax increases have to be kept in tight guidlines.

When the Teamsters negotiate a contract do they have to give anything up in return for what they want?
I've been out of the union so long I can't recall if that happens or not?

My wife has been the vise president of her union for 8 yrs.

Apo,

negotiations on any road in life is always a series of gives and takes. The idea is to come to a deal that will satisfy all those that are involved.

I started this thread as an inquiry..

I woundered if we do end up becoming a union company,we don't really have anything to give back to UPS so we can gain better wages,and benefits?

If after 51% of the first terminal signs the Teamsters in as their represenitives,do you have any idea what a give,and take cotract would be drafted?

I'm not trying to start any trouble,or being dumb.
I just want to know what we would be looking at?

The local Teamster represenitives in my town are going to have a meeting soon with anyone from my terminal thats interested.
I'm also going to attend.

What questions would you Teamsters,or any of my UPS Freight co-workers sugjest should be asked?

This is a very important time in our company.
I myself would like everything brought out in the open to be covered for our future.
I would appreciate any helpful sugjestions.
Thanks in advance.

Apo,
There has always been give and take....even more nowdays as we realize that the Teamster Carriers need a little here and there to stay healthy and thriving. If they don't thrive neither do we. The days of a tough Business Agent slamming his fist on the desk and telling the boss how it's gonna be or else are over. I go to grievance hearings every month and it's all conducted in a very business-like atmosphere, not yelling and screaming at each other. Both sides win some and lose some. I've never been involved in Contract negotiations but I'm sure it works the same way. All that UPS will want out of you guys is a hard days work, and you're used to that. It's really much more smooth than it was 23 years ago when you were in the Union. I can't really tell you what to ask about, but I'm glad you're going to the meeting.

apo, that 8 years... explains why you spend so much time on the computer.

My wife is a real sweet heart..

to let me have so much fun on the truckingboards.
She also knows where I am.

I don't mind that shes a union leader.
Her union has everything set in stone.
When someone needs her to represent them,my wife knows the contract language very well.
If its some majior issue that can't be resolved with her co-worker,herself,and the boss than she hands it over to the president,and their union lawyer.

Everything works out for the best for whoever gets jammed up with work related issues.

My wife is a very good leader,she was going to let someone else do it this term,but everyone wanted her back so end of story.

Her union is the New York Teachers union.
Her union sticks up for their members whenever they need them.

Not like the Teamsters,they only restore jobs with back pay when they can get the story in the Teamsters news letter.
If its something you think is big to you,but maybe small to them,well to bad your out of luck.

Apostolic said:
to let me have so much fun on the truckingboards.
She also knows where I am.

I don't mind that shes a union leader.
Her union has everything set in stone.
When someone needs her to represent them,my wife knows the contract language very well.
If its some majior issue that can't be resolved with her co-worker,herself,and the boss than she hands it over to the president,and their union lawyer.

Everything works out for the best for whoever gets jammed up with work related issues.

My wife is a very good leader,she was going to let someone else do it this term,but everyone wanted her back so end of story.

Her union is the New York Teachers union.
Her union sticks up for their members whenever they need them.

Not like the Teamsters,they only restore jobs with back pay when they can get the story in the Teamsters news letter.
If its something you think is big to you,but maybe small to them,well to bad your out of luck.

I'm glad your Wife is a Union lady. She sounds like a good one too.
You really have the wrong impression about todays Teamsters though. Many, many things happen every month that would be worthy of the Teamster magazine.....far too many to mention. You really can't let go of the past and that's not healthy for you.

Not to downplay the importance of what your wife does, it is commendable. You have to understand the Teamsters carry lots of clout when comming to the table. We cover so many members and have the, in my opinion, best that there are in negotiators on contracts. No one ever gets everthing they want. But these guys get paid to know how and when to ask and get it. There is a department in Washington totally dedicated to contract research and helps out during contract meetings. You don't find that in every union. Thank your wife for me, for what she does. My wife works in the school system also. She's a Teamster Organizer!! DS.

Apostolic said:
The local Teamster represenitives in my town are going to have a meeting soon with anyone from my terminal thats interested.
I'm also going to attend.

What questions would you Teamsters,or any of my UPS Freight co-workers sugjest should be asked?

This is a very important time in our company.
I myself would like everything brought out in the open to be covered for our future.
I would appreciate any helpful sugjestions.
Thanks in advance.
Hey Apo.........I would suggest to go to the meeting and ask questions. I'm sure not every question can or will be answered. But you will have a heads up on what's going on. Educate yourself, and pass it along to us and your co workers. DS.

Apostolic said:

As a 20+ year Union Steward, I would take exception with that blanket statement. Again, APO, you have been out of touch with the labor movement for so long you really dont know what is going on.

If the Teamsters website put everything up that happened across the country that was a betterment for their members, they would need a hell of a big server and a very large full time staff to keep up with it.

There are things going on every day that wont make the newsletter or the website, but are still being taken care of by the Stewards and members.

Mike01 said:
As a 20+ year Union Steward, I would take exception with that blanket statement. Again, APO, you have been out of touch with the labor movement for so long you really dont know what is going on.

If the Teamsters website put everything up that happened across the country that was a betterment for their members, they would need a hell of a big server and a very large full time staff to keep up with it.

There are things going on every day that wont make the newsletter or the website, but are still being taken care of by the Stewards and members.

Amen, Brother Mike!

Why thank you, Dude. And ya know, the more I think about it, there is a lot going on that the Stewards / BAs are doing that even the general membership never hears about. I'm not talking secret under the table deals or sweetheart arangements. I'm talking about things that these people do for a member(s) that are done privately.

Maybe we Stewards should toot our own horn a little bit more and really show people what we are doing. It would really open the eyes of mamy people that think a Steward never does anything. Maybe they would finally understand what a hard job being a Steward is.

Mike01 said:
Why thank you, Dude. And ya know, the more I think about it, there is a lot going on that the Stewards / BAs are doing that even the general membership never hears about. I'm not talking secret under the table deals or sweetheart arangements. I'm talking about things that these people do for a member(s) that are done privately.

Maybe we Stewards should toot our own horn a little bit more and really show people what we are doing. It would really open the eyes of mamy people that think a Steward never does anything. Maybe they would finally understand what a hard job being a Steward is.
:bowdown::notworthy: :butthead: :butthead: the last two was my toot! lol, Go ahead with your bad azz, your appreciated!

Thanks, Serta. Appreciate the kind words.

As far as those two toots though.... uh.... well.... maybe somethings are just as well left in private:biglaugh: