SAIA | NE Expansion

Last edited:
The Northeast is an tough expansion area !! Most towns and areas won't allow new truck terminals, OD lost in court in the Allentown area and had to move to another town to build. Everybody wants nice shiny big warehouse that pay lots of taxes, they don't want dirty 24 hour truck terminals !! Hell there are towns in NJ that have written laws against building terminals. FedEx freight was supposed to build a break in Secuacus NJ but were shot down. This was swamp land- new warehouse next door, post office facility on the other side and the intermodal rail terminal across the street. No house to be seen just industrial and they said no. They are now building in another town ( Roadway had approval to build there but didn't ) and the one way in and out on Route 7 floods bad when it rains heavy and has a least one head on collision a month. Expansion is great for you will be very expensive going up the 95 corridor.

The Northeast is an tough expansion area !! Most towns and areas won't allow new truck terminals, OD lost in court in the Allentown area and had to move to another town to build. Everybody wants nice shiny big warehouse that pay lots of taxes, they don't want dirty 24 hour truck terminals !! Hell there are towns in NJ that have written laws against building terminals. FedEx freight was supposed to build a break in Secuacus NJ but were shot down. This was swamp land- new warehouse next door, post office facility on the other side and the intermodal rail terminal across the street. No house to be seen just industrial and they said no. They are now building in another town ( Roadway had approval to build there but didn't ) and the one way in and out on Route 7 floods bad when it rains heavy and has a least one head on collision a month. Expansion is great for you will be very expensive going up the 95 corridor.

Damn, Joe you beat me to it. We also just improved the O/R to 92.8 which was released today. The future looks bright for SAIA. Taking a slow and deliberate approach to this expansion. O'Dell is about as good as you can get. I expect in time we will be in the 80's with an operation ratio like Old Dominion. It's just a matter of time.
To each his own. You want an improvement of 12 cents on our OR but to me that's 12 cents that the company could be spending on me. I prefer the later.

To each his own. You want an improvement of 12 cents on our OR but to me that's 12 cents that the company could be spending on me. I prefer the later.
That 12 cents would enable SAIA to secure everyone's future. NOT JUST YOURS. It enables SAIA to keep giving us substantial raises with no increases in our healthcare cost. And keep giving us 6% to our 401K plan. Everyone wins IMO.

Last edited:
Newark NJ ... Harrisburg PA .. Philadelphia PA .. Pittsburgh PA.

Newark NJ ? That's interesting, only possible location is the current mini break that Fedex Frght is moving out of. It was built by Brown Freight( for the old timers) then became Carolina, Viking, Watkins , FedEx National and currently Fedex Freight. The north side can only use pups or S/T's due to the fence line. There used to be a small yard in the corner but the landlord took it so he can build a cold storage facility. It's close to 100 doors but the doors only have like 8-10 inches between them. The front yard maybe holds 25-30 pups. Very industrial area, Red Star used to be next door but is now a lumber yard/brick yard. High theft area, lock your cars up tight. It is great central/North Jersey location though, near airport and ports.

Do you guys have something in the Baltimore area ?

That 12 cents would enable SAIA to secure everyone's future. NOT JUST YOURS. It enables SAIA to keep giving us substantial raises with no increases in our healthcare cost. And keep giving us 6% to our 401K plan. Everyone wins IMO.
I have to call bullsh@*t on that assumption. First, you are assuming that Saia would spend that additional money on the employees and you base that assumption on what? Making a lower OR requires less expense and more pressure to maintain it.That means cuts somewhere For instance, I believe that OD doesn't pay OT but Saia does after 45 hours. You want to give up your OT? At 92.8 You've got your payraise, your 401-k match, benefits, and the pressure level that we have today. Why mess with that? It's like you dig an adequate posthole , that will do the job, but here comes Train wanting to double the size and the work load just so that we can say, hey our posthole is as big as OD's. No thank you but feel free to help yourself to more work.

Newark NJ ? That's interesting, only possible location is the current mini break that Fedex Frght is moving out of. It was built by Brown Freight( for the old timers) then became Carolina, Viking, Watkins , FedEx National and currently Fedex Freight. The north side can only use pups or S/T's due to the fence line. There used to be a small yard in the corner but the landlord took it so he can build a cold storage facility. It's close to 100 doors but the doors only have like 8-10 inches between them. The front yard maybe holds 25-30 pups. Very industrial area, Red Star used to be next door but is now a lumber yard/brick yard. High theft area, lock your cars up tight. It is great central/North Jersey location though, near airport and ports.

Do you guys have something in the Baltimore area ?
No we are not in md

I can feel the vibe in the air. I'm about to be run over by a train. It's been good knowing you guys.
Building better infrastructure. We need better terminals and more terminals. Adding newer and more efficient trucks and trailers. Adding more maintenance facilities along with more fuel islands. In my day Overnite had a tire recapping facility in N.C. saving more cost in maintenance. Improving linehaul efficiency in certain lanes and pulling less empty trailers through better communication with improved technology. Improved pricing and weeding out the junk freight. Building a better network in claims prevention. Reinvesting the money back into the company is what I'm driving at. See, Dracula I will be retired soon so why do I really care? The answer should be pretty clear. I care about my younger co-workers and their future. You are cynical and very negative and self absorbed. The difference between me and you is I see the positive while you chose to see the negative. You may have been at SAIA longer than me but I've been in this business longer and have worked both sides. Attitude is everything. And you have a **** poor one.

Last edited:
Good for you, keep that positive, cheerleader, lets go get 'im boys attitude, and charge that hill. I'll sit back here with Oddball, have some wine and cheese, and catch a few rays.

When Saia goes into a new area, are the new hires started at full pay or is there a wage progression? When AF expanded in the NE years ago I heard they started at full rate since they were opening a new area, just wondering if Saia is the same way....