Near Lafayette Indiana ABF Set Of Twins Rollover Swerving For A Deer

If there is high grass on the road side,there will be evidence of a running deer.
However if there in no trail,the crash maybe the result of another issue.

No animals (other than Human) were harmed in the creation of this incident.
LONG LIVE those Deer that scare drivers to LIVE and scare again!!

This is one of the top rules not to do in trucking.....swerve for a deer. It's hard not to do because of the natural human reaction to not hit anything. It's hard tho

You're right it is...I was barreling down on a mule deer on a country road and just grabbed onto the wheel tight prepared to slam into it fortunately it bolted before I hit it...

I do agree that any time you hit any animal,it is the fault of the critter for obstructing the road way.
However if you swerve out of the way causing any negative results it is your fault.

At another trucking forum, I said the exact same thing you guys said. Hit the deer instead of swerving. I must have hit a hornets nest or something, because I became bombarded by their self-proclaimed resident experts. One of those self-proclaimed experts was probably driving this ABF truck.

I never cared about others with misguided opinions,on any given driving issue.

As a former UPS Freight safety trainer I was forever warning drivers to never mistrust your own judgment.
If you think you shouldn't do something yet do it, & something negative comes of it.
Who do you have to blame?

I never cared about others with misguided opinions,on any given driving issue.

As a former UPS Freight safety trainer I was forever warning drivers to never mistrust your own judgment.
If you think you shouldn't do something yet do it, & something negative comes of it.
Who do you have to blame?
I don't typically care either, but I do care when people tell new drivers what to do in a given situation, and it's the wrong thing to do.

Well then whenever receiving advice from unreliable sources.
We can just push the ignore button,& use our own best judgment.
Or seek out information from a more reliable source.

I know back in the day when I was starting out,there seemed to be a lot of teachers.
I just had to learn how to weed out the good from the bad,to checkout the background of the many voices I was hearing.

If a driver had a very good driving record,& his advise seemed to be believable I tended to except those remarks.
However if the advice was not that logical coming from a driver with a poor record I may have agreed to his face.
But would later ignore it.

The thing with trucking the best teaching comes from ones own experiences.

Most new drivers aren't going to know any better than to look around to various places for other opinions, and in some instances, it's too late if you learn on your own. Example:

New driver comes to an online forum asking what to do when a deer jumps out at you. Someone responds to swerve.

They swerve, and lose control of their truck. Instead of landing in a median and flipping a truck where no one was hurt, they sideswipe a minivan full of kids.

Giving out bad advice can lead to deaths, and ignoring it is just as bad, IMO.

So Airbrakes what in your opinion is the answer?
Your opinion as well as mine,or anyone else's is always welcomed.
After all that is one of the reasons this message board is so valuable to the trucking industry.

So Airbrakes what in your opinion is the answer?
Your opinion as well as mine,or anyone else's is always welcomed.
After all that is one of the reasons this message board is so valuable to the trucking industry.

For starters, I don't post on internet boards to argue with people. I get plenty of that at home. I correct bad information. In this particular case, the best thing you could do is hit the deer. It's the same thing as someone running a stop sign, and/or failing to yield to you. It's better to go ahead and hit them than it is to take evasive action.