ABF | New Allegations at 050

driver050319

TB Lurker
Credits
Had enough

Had Enough
I normally don't post much and just put up with the crap at our terminals 050/319 but everyone at some point gets pushed to far. These are some emails that were sent to Slagle, Babb and the safety dept and the response that was received. Please copy them and post them everywhere so everyone can see how we are treated.

Letter 1:
I believe you have been around trucking long enough to know when drivers/dockworkers are just “whining” about a manager and when there is a real problem. We would like to bring to your attention a problem with Dave Bowers here in IND 050/319.
As you know I’m sure, on Sunday 1-5-14 the state got slammed by a massive snow storm shutting down highways and cities. The city of Indianapolis posted a snow emergency on Monday 1-6-14 the first time since 1978 I believe, as well as all the counties around and north of the city which includes Hendricks County where 319 is located. Mr. Bowers did “cc” everyone on Monday but expected everyone to be at work on Tuesday 1-7-14. The city of Indianapolis did lift the snow emergency on Tuesday but the Mayor and Governor asked that everyone please stay off the roads. Hendricks County stayed on snow emergency. Mr. Bowers sent drivers out to other counties that were under snow emergency and when a driver pointed that out the response was “they pay us to deliver freight now go” It was suggested by another driver that maybe we should just break freight and get things ready for Wednesday and he was told to “get driving”. Not only did he put our lives at risk he also put the snow plow drivers, and the emergency workers who have to get stranded trucks and cars out of the way. When the first truck got stuck and they called for a wrecker, they were told “we are working ONLY for the State Police it will be 24 hrs. before we can help” He then decided to call the drivers back.
Many of the drivers live in counties that had snow emergency postings so they didn’t make it in, so far he has given everyone UNA days (unless they took a sick day) and even given a 10%er a “UNA/no call/no show” when he wasn’t even set up or called for work on Tuesday! Mr. Bowers response was “the 10% should have known when to come in” that seems hard to do when he is on call and the county he lives and works in was under a snow emergency.
Some drivers have already talked to a local television station about doing a story on the fact that ABF does not seem to be a good corporate neighbor since they violated the laws by sending people out when things were so bad. I have no doubt they will do the story because the people around the city were very upset by how bad the roads were. The Hendricks County Sheriff’s office was issuing tickets to people out driving they may issue something to the ABF terminal as well. That is NOT good public relations.
Normally ABF does an incredible job of hiring but you may have slipped on Dave Bowers. He was fired from PittOhio for the same kind of dangerous and illegal tactics. Forcing guys to work over the legal amount and changing their log books and such so they could go the next day. Although I’m sure you heard he resigned it was one of those two choice type things “get fired or resign”
You have had some great managers here Marksberry, Hammons, Albert, and Apple. Dave Bowers is doing nothing but running people and this terminal into the ground just so he can make his numbers look good whether that is by changing the times on Timekeeper deliveries or issuing letters to drivers for “running a route in a different order from the browser” or for “forgetting to sign 1 freight bill.” It seems there should be more important things to be worried about.
Please look into this, you will see that we are not just “whining”

Letter 2:
You were recently sent a letter about Dave Bowers at 050/319. It has come to our attention that on Wednesday 1-8-14 that two employees out doing Relocubes were forced to work almost 17 hrs. One driver got stuck on the road by a customer’s house, the customer came by in a four wheel drive and said “I told them NOT to try to get these I can’t even get to my house” They were then told take their 10 hrs. off and report back. They did not citing “fatigue and stress” I’m sure by now disciplinary letters have been written against them. We also believe that a “Whistle blower” has contacted the Indiana State Police DOT division about this violation.
We have also just seen on a local TV news station that the Mayor and Governor want to know of anyone who was disciplined by their employers for not working while the snow emergency was active in the different counties. The State and Counties may take action against the employers.
Is this the kind of disregard for employees, equipment and freight you expect from your managers just so their “numbers” look good? I’m sure some of our big customers like Amazon, CVS, Draper, Menlo, Pitney Bowes and others would like to get a letter showing how our manager doesn’t care about employees, equipment, or their freight by jeopardizing it like this.
Another “Whistle blower” may have informed the Fire Marshalls office about the Haz Mat area of the dock at 050. It is full of cardboard, broken skids and trash. The Haz Mat freight has to be set around in different places on the dock and since employees still smoke on the dock it is a dangerous situation.
Look into what we are saying this isn’t a joke to any of us and with the trouble with YRC now, we would hope to work together to get some of that business not fighting against a tyrannical manager.

Letter 3:
We recently sent you some information about some safety concerns at IND 050/319 concerning Mr. Dave Bowers. On Monday 1-13-14 an employee was ordered to drive over his 14th hr. he refused and on Tuesday 1-14-14 was suspended for refusing a work order. He was ordered to break law, refused and was suspended!
Is this the way ABF does business now? What is it going to take for management at the Fort to look into this? The death or injury of an employee, customer, or someone in the public? Can you imagine an accident going to court and finding out management was forcing the law to be broken, what would that cost ABF?
You hire the safest drivers in the country here and we are proud of that! We also understand that drivers/dockworkers getting a manager demoted to another position could set a bad precedence but this situation calls for a change before someone is hurt or killed. Mr. Dave Bowers does NOT need to be in an OPS or Terminal Manager Position.
Just the fines alone from the Indiana DOT or the FMCSA would be reason enough to look into this we believe.

The response to had enough

The response form Roy:
Dear Sir:

I write in response to your emails and to the anonymous letter mailed to me and others here in Ft. Smith.

I instituted investigations into the numerous allegations made in these correspondences and believe the following to be an accurate assessment.

Many of the allegations appear to be based on second or third-hand knowledge and are inaccurate. For example, an assertion was made that a serious accident occurred and Dave Bowers did not respond and therefore no drug or alcohol test was administered. In fact, there has not been a single accident where the circumstances would have triggered the administration of a drug and alcohol test at either Indianapolis or Brownsburg since Dave has been employed by ABF. Regarding the issue of the truck without heat or defroster, the facts are that parts were on back-order and no one was forced to drive the equipment.

There appears to be a misunderstanding of the FMCSR regulations regarding hours of service. While it is true that drivers cannot drive more than 14 hours on a regular basis, there is an exception to that rule and in the few instances where we exceeded the 14 hour rule, we were in compliance with the regulations.

It is of course, not desirable to work people 14 hours per day. Most of these issues have been caused by the extreme weather we experienced combined with employees being unavailable for work. Assertions were made that we were pushing too hard to operate during the inclimate weather. In fact, we shut down and began operating after the weather emergency was lifted. Even then, when we experienced difficulty, we pulled drivers back off the street. It has long been and continues to this day to be one of ABF’s guiding principles to operate safely. It is a fact of life that we must operate during winter months and it is always a judgment call to determine when conditions require us to cease or modify operations. Having managed terminals in Ohio and Pennsylvania, I have made numerous decisions of this nature. Winter weather is a challenge and when it is at its worst, we all need to chip in and get the job done. That often means operating in less than ideal conditions and working longer hours. I’ve done that myself many times.

The allegation that a driver was suspended for refusing to work past 14 hours is inaccurate and in fact, the driver worked 13.5 hours on the day in question. Out of respect for the driver’s privacy, I won’t discuss details of disciplinary actions, but he was not suspended for refusing to work beyond 14 hours.

My years of experience and judgment leads me to believe that these allegations are not the source of the complaints, but rather are being used to attempt to accomplish the real objective, which is to get rid of Dave Bowers. Again, investigations do not substantiate the allegations made against Mr. Bowers. As operations manager, Mr. Bowers is held accountable for results. Among the results he is expected to achieve is to pick up and deliver our customers’ freight on time and to manage our labor and physical resources in a responsible manner to keep our costs as low as possible. He is held responsible for driver, dock, and yard productivity, load average, fringe benefit costs, and numerous other metrics that require him to insure that the people who work for him are doing what they are supposed to do in a timely, productive, and safe manner. He, nor anyone else in a similar position can tolerate drivers refusing to carry out assignments or being so non-productive as to jeopardize our business and therefore, the livelihoods of all ABF employees.

My suggestion to the employees of Indianapolis and Brownsburg is the same that I would give to ABF employees anywhere. Show up for work on time, complete your assignments in a safe, productive, professional manner, help delight our customers and enjoy the benefits of holding one of the best jobs in the trucking industry.

Sincerely,

Roy Slagle

Metrics the most important thing now! Not freight or people Metrics!!!

Indiana State Police

Sent to Indiana State Police
To Indiana State Police DOT division,
I would like to report that last week during the snow emergencies that the OPS Manager at ABF freight, (Dave Bowers) opened and ordered drivers into counties that were under snow emergency. When drivers pointed out the fact that the counties were in snow emergency his comment was „I don't care we are paid to deliver freight and that's what we will do”
He also forced some guys to work over 16 hrs., which is a violation.
He has also disciplined employees for refusing to come in because their county was under snow emergency.
He has a history of abusing the laws and safety here and we would like to see his actions investigated.

ABF has two terminals, he is in charge of both, one at 1260 Terminal Dr, Indianapolis, IN and one at 1250 Northfield dr., Brownsburg, IN

This is being posted anonymously because I'm sure we would be fired in our names were known.
We would like to hear some kind of response.
Thank you for your help

New Allegations at 050
You guys will love this we have been told of some other problems at 050/319
1. A driver involved in a serious accident calls our Ops Manager (Dave Bowers) and is told that he (Bowers) is busy at the gym working out and the driver needs to call Fort Smith and handle it. No drug test was given and no objective person was there to see if the employee was suffering from a concussion or not. He was taken by tow truck to 050 given another tractor and told to go back to work.
2. A driver was being told by a Dispatcher to drive a truck with no heat or defrost (which had been written up a week before) after refusing since there was snow and ice on the windshield and it is a DOT violation to drive without heat or defrost he was then called by the Ops Manager who tried to “convince” him to drive it.
3. A “friend” of our Ops Manager hired for dispatch who even after months of time still has hardly any idea of what he is doing. Morning routes not loaded every day because of his ineptitude. But kept quiet and “covered” for by his friend.
4. A senior employee telling a junior employee to drive the truck with no heat to 050 and bring back the senior drivers truck to 319, and dispatch letting it happen when they knew the truck was out of service.
5. Road drivers who comment that 050 is the worst terminal in the system for dispatch.

We didn't write or send this but it is interesting and I have no idea if the person was responded to.

Our steward refused to drive so another driver above him in seniority said he would. That is how our union bretheren work ...for themselves

Final kick in the A$$

Thank you to everyone who has read and commented on the messages. This is the last straw though
We had a union meeting today about 40 ABF employees showed up, we brought this info to our Union 135 President... He laughed and said we were just a bunch of babies. Then proceeded to tell us that our union steward sent 120 messages to our business agent in the past month and that was ridiculous and to just go do our jobs.... I would have thought Roy was standing right there.
Well here is a thought Mr. President and the Teamster hierarchy this is a right to work state now I think I will be keeping my 62.00 dollars a month and hopefully many more will too FU!!!!!!
Never in my life would I have thought I would say that but you managed to change my mind.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wondered how dave b would do at a union shop he was shown the door at pitt ohio after screaming at the drivers one to many times sounds like he hasnt changed one bit.

If someone else is working excessive hours I find it's their problem and let them deal with it. Help them if they want and need it, otherwise trying to help usually backfires.

Unsafe trucks would be a problem. Fill out the Vehicle Condition Report identifying the problem and have the mechanic sign off on it. They tend to change their attitudes when they have to take responsibility for a problem. If they sign off then you would have to take the truck.

This is a good place to trade information and has led to more than one problem being fixed.

Thanks for the advice ABFer and thank you for combining the threads I should have posted them that way but didn't really think about it being to upset.
Thank you

your a tough guy rollin62, your here... been silent for a while, I haven't seen you trollin62 through a lot of post as before the contract.. the fact is, I don't see where the company has done anything wrong. Whether the man was at the gym or not it is proper procedure to call safety in event of an accident, not your terminal manager! and it is ft smiths job to cancel your day of work, or act of god! the law does not mandate abf working. if your customers shut down, not much we can do! If not careful, you all will lose your jobs.. And I hate this company, but you are going about this wrong!!!

New Allegations at 050
You guys will love this we have been told of some other problems at 050/319
1. A driver involved in a serious accident calls our Ops Manager (Dave Bowers) and is told that he (Bowers) is busy at the gym working out and the driver needs to call Fort Smith and handle it. No drug test was given and no objective person was there to see if the employee was suffering from a concussion or not. He was taken by tow truck to 050 given another tractor and told to go back to work.
Don't know enough about the accident to have a comment.
2. A driver was being told by a Dispatcher to drive a truck with no heat or defrost (which had been written up a week before) after refusing since there was snow and ice on the windshield and it is a DOT violation to drive without heat or defrost he was then called by the Ops Manager who tried to “convince” him to drive it.
Just tell them, "No, I won't drive it without defrosters".
3. A “friend” of our Ops Manager hired for dispatch who even after months of time still has hardly any idea of what he is doing. Morning routes not loaded every day because of his ineptitude. But kept quiet and “covered” for by his friend.
Welcome to ABF.
4. A senior employee telling a junior employee to drive the truck with no heat to 050 and bring back the senior drivers truck to 319, and dispatch letting it happen when they knew the truck was out of service.
AAaaaaa the case of senior driver thinking he's some sort of boss. Been through that, can you say, "**** you?".
5. Road drivers who comment that 050 is the worst terminal in the system for dispatch.
I'll bet there's some competition for that position around the country.
We didn't write or send this but it is interesting and I have no idea if the person was responded to.

Get a copy of the Federal Motor Carriers Safety Administration book. And READ it. Rather dry and stilted language, but you'd be surprised about the laws and protection provided by the Bureau of Motor Carriers to drivers. All it takes is the courage to stand there and tell them "It's unsafe". It's your judgement call until they bring in a mechanic to sign off and take responsibility,......and THAT,......signing for responsibility,......seems to be a "sticking" point for any company. Once you are bullied into taking it out on the street,....it's your baby. And ,....if you're overworked,....document everything you do, and if the Local won't back you, contact the Dept. of Labor in your area,......believe me, they'll be interested ,...........especially if you're working 14 hours a day, and there's people begging for jobs in your state. With the right kind of publicity, it makes a good lead story in a news show. Good Luck Brother!

The one thing about this is you had better be sure that you are right if you refuse to do something. Stand your ground yes but don't go overboard.

Doesn't have anything to do with driving in the snow, or a drivers dispute when he does not fully understand the DOT hours,, In the cases listed, the drivers don't fully understand their hours, etc.. From what they have stated and from the follow up and letter from Roy!! Fact is, most drivers don't fully understand the rules!! The above thing you posted about is about hazardous materials an those types of situations and unsafe situations, etc.. Just like our contract it is not open to interpretation to snow. Perhaps t would serve these people better to work with this man then against and conditions will improve.. In case you have not realized ABF is in the phase of jacking with people now... Go back and look at the contract vote, perhaps an overwhelming NO would have eliminated this mans job,, They replacing people elsewhere where No voters remain an issue!!!! )050 also has a few Tattletales,, or RATS as I call them,, on the road,, like to report drivers for things they see they have done wrong,, So KARMA..