ABF | New Allegations at 050

If you read the cases they are not in the drivers favor when they go as far as DOL!!! As a Road driver, I have never once had issue in bad weather to shut it down!! I cant believe a city driver cannot proceed at a crawl.. If it takes all day to do 1 delivery then do it!! Again this is more about disliking the TM then the weather.. This is part of the job, its what we do.. I cant stand what this company has done to us contract wise, Union stabbed us in back, but don't blame Mother Nature or ABF's business plan. If you don't want to work due to weather, use a compensated sick day or find a job that does not require work in snow.. Be a professional driver,, DRIVER!~!!

If you read the cases they are not in the drivers favor when they go as far as DOL!!! As a Road driver, I have never once had issue in bad weather to shut it down!! I cant believe a city driver cannot proceed at a crawl.. If it takes all day to do 1 delivery then do it!! Again this is more about disliking the TM then the weather.. This is part of the job, its what we do.. I cant stand what this company has done to us contract wise, Union stabbed us in back, but don't blame Mother Nature or ABF's business plan. If you don't want to work due to weather, use a compensated sick day or find a job that does not require work in snow.. Be a professional driver,, DRIVER!~!!
From what I got out of the post it was not the driver's skill or ability to keep moving but the fact that they were told to keep moving in areas that were shut down to all but emergency personnel. It is our licenses that would be on the line in such a case. If it was me I would just say, "Can't go there the roads are closed", and that would be the end of it. My decisions on this have never been questioned but management. It is one time when they don't say, "see what you can do".

Wow, proceed at a crawl right into a ditch because you are out on a county road that hasn't been tended to and you can't see where the road goes or you just get hung in a drift and have to sit there for TWENTY FOUR HOURS OR MORE BECAUSE THE TOW TRUCKS ONLY HELP THE AUTHORITIES WHEN THE COUNTIES ARE CLOSED, then get some of those csa 2010 points on your license and fines from the state because they had to dedicate emergency services to you because your dumb butt needed to be saved from freezing to death when your truck froze up.

Edit:
Also the point was driven home to me when I got hung in a drift in my 4x4 not 1 mile form my house, on a road I have driven literally thousands of times, because the winds were slightly different than usual and the snow was deeper than it appeared.

As a Road driver, I have never once had issue in bad weather to shut it down!! I cant believe a city driver cannot proceed at a crawl..
In addition to what Boilerpeddle posted above I'd like to add that I can't believe that even a road driver can't see the difference when running the city, so I'll brush you up on it a bit. It includes (particularly while it's still snowing) pulling into unplowed customers' lots to hit a dock. Now I know that most freight terminals have relatively level lots with a slight grade to move water out from the dock area but many of our customers don't have that luxury and their docks can have stiff grades towards or away from the dock. If there's snow on the ground and the dock has a downgrade to the building backing in is not advised. If the grade is uphill to the dock backing in can be impossible. Now if I am the first truck in and it's all powder I'm good as long as I hit it right first time. If I don't get it right first time and I pack the snow down the second chance might not work. Then we're not on four lane highways with heavy treatments on the grades so we get to ease it down a snow packed secondary road with a line of cars poking along in front of us. It's not like we can kick it out of gear or ease it through the pattern until we get to the next terrace. Have you ever watched your tach drop 100 or more RPM's on a geared down downgrade with a line of cars ahead of you? If you did would it tell you anything?

if you cant work or make it to work then like I said, call off sick!!! If you are smart enough to make it to work when supposedly the "LAW" says to not work,, then do your job!!! don't show up and expect to be paid for nothing or a 6 hr show up pay... cant have cake and eat it too. Stay off the road requests mean requests not you have too..Like I said, I have driven in weather and when its too bad I call central dispatch and never had an issue with them saying ok shut it down.. shared responsiniolty,, you show and want to work,, then do it... don't expect free money douchebgs!!

if you cant work or make it to work then like I said, call off sick!!! If you are smart enough to make it to work when supposedly the "LAW" says to not work,, then do your job!!! don't show up and expect to be paid for nothing or a 6 hr show up pay... cant have cake and eat it too. Stay off the road requests mean requests not you have too..Like I said, I have driven in weather and when its too bad I call central dispatch and never had an issue with them saying ok shut it down.. shared responsiniolty,, you show and want to work,, then do it... don't expect free money douchebgs!!
With your attitude and ignorance I would say that you are the douche bag.

everything for nothing crybaby always makes excuses union baby.. Do your job.,. Act like an adult and a real union man and be mature.. Work or call off after an attempt to going to work in bad weather. mother nature is not your boss. don't blame him. Try running a business and be accountable and stop hiding in the world. or behind two horses.. most Teamsters do this, apparently not 050 teamsters, most of which are RATS anyway.. boo hoo im going to tell.. whats that say? deal with it... I am a NO voting proud Teamster and I agree with ABF and Roys response on this 100%...

Iam4aspellingbee

One more reply then I am done with you.
No... wait.... I'm done with you now..

everything for nothing crybaby always makes excuses union baby.. Do your job.,. Act like an adult and a real union man and be mature.. Work or call off after an attempt to going to work in bad weather. mother nature is not your boss. don't blame him. Try running a business and be accountable and stop hiding in the world. or behind two horses.. most Teamsters do this, apparently not 050 teamsters, most of which are RATS anyway.. boo hoo im going to tell.. whats that say? deal with it... I am a NO voting proud Teamster and I agree with ABF and Roys response on this 100%...
If I recall you said you were a road driver down south (Georgia?) not much snow in that part of the country. Go in some of the snow belts where it snows a foot or more at a time, im sure your response would be different....

If I recall you said you were a road driver down south (Georgia?) not much snow in that part of the country. Go in some of the snow belts where it snows a foot or more at a time, im sure your response would be different....
Easy on him now, they got a coating last week and it shut the whole town down for two days. :shrug:

In addition to what Boilerpeddle posted above I'd like to add that I can't believe that even a road driver can't see the difference when running the city, so I'll brush you up on it a bit. It includes (particularly while it's still snowing) pulling into unplowed customers' lots to hit a dock. Now I know that most freight terminals have relatively level lots with a slight grade to move water out from the dock area but many of our customers don't have that luxury and their docks can have stiff grades towards or away from the dock. If there's snow on the ground and the dock has a downgrade to the building backing in is not advised. If the grade is uphill to the dock backing in can be impossible. Now if I am the first truck in and it's all powder I'm good as long as I hit it right first time. If I don't get it right first time and I pack the snow down the second chance might not work. Then we're not on four lane highways with heavy treatments on the grades so we get to ease it down a snow packed secondary road with a line of cars poking along in front of us. It's not like we can kick it out of gear or ease it through the pattern until we get to the next terrace. Have you ever watched your tach drop 100 or more RPM's on a geared down downgrade with a line of cars ahead of you? If you did would it tell you anything?

In OKC, I remember years ago in a severe snow storm, I was trying to deliver freight and couldn't back into a lot of docks. We didn't have tire chains and I just had to tell them see you tomorrow. Even going slow and getting up and down the streets wasn't the bad part. It was the cars and trucks almost running into you. I think safety should be the most important thing here. Not some Rambo delivering freight when he or she shouldn't even be out there...

I said 003.. and stand behind what I say.. And challenge to a spelling bee. is that all you got?

I said 003.. and stand behind what I say.. And challenge to a spelling bee. is that all you got?
You remind me of our road driver who is proud to be able to say that he never damaged any freight.

I don't understand your anger iam4us. I don't think anyone was asking for something for nothing. I think the point was safety isn't the main point anymore. The Mayor and Governor closed down everything except emergency personnel. The drivers who stayed home were given UNA days they just wanted them removed. Your quote "Like I said, I have driven in weather and when its too bad I call central dispatch and never had an issue with them saying ok shut it down" What would you do if they told you to keep going? Would you stop anyway? What if the State Police gave you a ticket for driving on anyway? I bet you would try to get the money back from ABF.

I am not angry. And from the info I have heard and I believe to be true, It was recommended that motorists and non-essential people be off the roads and that no one really has the authority to say you cannot work due to weather. Employees have the ability to call in sick to work or call in and say I cannot make it due to the weather however the employees went in. They either went in with the intention to do their job or to be sent home. Its wrong to just show up and expect 6 hrs pay to be sent home, If you are that concerned, call off and either take a sick day or no pay or go in and do what you intended and go to work. If a driver is involved in an accident and a State official really said no one is allowed on the roads, your TM would be fired in a heartbeat!! TM's are fired or demoted for much less!! If your State official did say no one on roads, why did you go to work anyway? ABF did investigate this and found no wrong doing and yet its still being argued! To me its the people posting against 050 that are angry, not me..
If I got a letter for not coming in, I would have my Union fight it and if as you say, the State officials said that no one could drive on roads, I would fight to have it retracted in writing!! It should not be too hard to find some sort of print media, official letter stating the declaration at the time saying the Governors and Mayors declaration!! If your local wont help you, go over their head to NLRB and file charges against your Steward and Local!! If Safety is this issue and this is how it happened and I am wrong...
I in all my time with ABF have never once had a dispute with Central Dispatch or my local dispatchers in shutting down due to weather!! Its always been a mutual respect and drivers call and never abused, if it can go it goes and not it parks...Its a professional respect..