New Contract Negotiations

jmsconstantino

TB Lurker
Credits
On Sat. we from term 52 sat down and had a proposal meeting. We had a very poor turnout for the amount of people that complain about situations. The biggest issues are going to be the company enrolling in the Natonal IAM pension plan, and how much healthcare is going to cost the worker. Another issue is the fact that our full time dockworkers are one of the lowest paid in the area. If you want these issues addressed you need to get involved. Who knows what the company has in store for us.

On Sat. we from term 52 sat down and had a proposal meeting. We had a very poor turnout for the amount of people that complain about situations. The biggest issues are going to be the company enrolling in the Natonal IAM pension plan, and how much healthcare is going to cost the worker. Another issue is the fact that our full time dockworkers are one of the lowest paid in the area. If you want these issues addressed you need to get involved. Who knows what the company has in store for us.

i know when i "used" to work for NEMF one of my bid runs was to 52..... i never even thought of working the docks, not just there, but any terminal. i could never understand how my (former) terminal could pay a wage that was good, but i had to take a lower wage for the same company mind you, else where's.......???

this is why guys (i remember) like "Frankie" who worked there (at 52) nights went across the street to Fedex.......maybe "Frankie" came back, i don't know. the dockworkers do as good a job as possible, and as such, should be union, and a payscale that very closely matches ALL terminals.

I agree with you on the 401k deal. The reason we are looking for the pension is for those who cannot afford to contribute on their own. Also a good pension deal will maybe slow the turnover and keep seasoned driver's both p&d and linehaul.

I been back driving Linehaul now for a little better than two years. Any talks if there gonna put guys in my boat up to top rate at the signing of the new contract like they have on previous ones. I hope so because in Buffao alone this will benefit half of our LH drivers.

Contract

Talk is that Albany has already done the deal on the contact but it is top secret! Dont know the details but if I hear anything I will let you know. I know the old man is fighting the pension, but they switched the medical so we would not have to pay into it, who would pay for this garbage plan anyway.
As far as term 51 we cant get a group to agree on anything petty let alone show up for a proposal meeting and be in agreement or stand together. Everyone there is out for themselves and could care less about the next guy. Too many TM pets who get what they want too stand together.

Us at 55 (syracuse) are still waiting to hear about our negotiations. I am fairly new to the business. I do not know how it happens or anything. But I know that they extented out old contract last month. They were supposed to meet last week to talk about it. Maybe albany is part of that? I do not know. Can someone help me?

Wasn't there talk about some terminals getting rid of that crappy union you have and signing cards with the teamsters?

I've heard that theres a meeting in NJ in week or two to go over the contract with all stewards company wide even through theres only a hand full of contracts up this year. anybody else hear this

I thought that Albany did not agree to anything and they were still extended. We need to know what happens in Albany because that invariably affects newburgh. The previous contracts the company brings anyone that is currently in the progression up to top rate as a ploy for a yes vote on whatever they offer. Not that it won't happen but money is thrown at younger employees that don't have big resposibility's yet so that the company can sneek in other variables. Pay very close attention to your steward and bus. agent. We are not going to get the world but the company is going t have to cough up a little.

All terminals are going to get the IAM National Pesion plan, thats what the Stewards meeting is about on June 7th. And they, the Union are going to give you the companys proposal for all the terminals, on the Pension, medical, and wages

Steve,

Well I guess that sounds good that we are getting some sort of a pension plan. I am not sure how it compares to the teamsters plan, but its better than nothing. I wonder what other things (monitary) things they came up with.

Mike

It is better than most Teamster pensions, IAM fund is 110% funded. due to the different industry in it, and will never go under funded.

Not the first year of the contract, but the 2nd year you will. The first year is going to stay the same with every thing, due to the fuel costs and the shipping tonage down.

Will there be any raises for the people in progression? We need to pay for the higher fuel prices too!!!!!

I am glad there is some progress though.

Mike

I know we are under paid hourly, mileage, with limited benefits sick, holiday no jury duty pay, but we work every day, and make some nice OT. And this contract will be a great start with the new pension plan. Next contract we will get them for the bigger money, and other benefits. There are not many trucking jobs out their, that you will start off working every day steady with the OT we make. New Penn, Yellow, and Roadway still are walking men time to time. ABF is the only one holding their own pretty much. Other non-union jobs have been paying for their medical for years already, with only a 401k, that you pay into, and look at UPS freight their paying $65.00 per week for medical but,capped for the life of their contract, and all the company's that pay straight time only, or OT after 40, 45, 50 55, and 60. Plus you will be laid off in DEC, Jan, Feb, and March, with most Teamster jobs. It is just bad timing that our contracts had to expire in this year, when the economy is in poor shape. Mid next year things should start to pick up, with the new President elect. Also keep in mind, it might be the last contract you see with this owner, and at least we will have the new pension plan in place.