XPO | new hand helds

crossbow

TB Lurker
Credits
Seems that the new ones still have problems, first they are next to impossible to use with goves on ,had to reset multiple time on inbound due to them locking up, this new tech is not what it is all cracked up to be , we used to handle more freight faster and with less people on inbound ,I know ,been hear since the 80's

Mine seems to be working alright. I had to re-boot it last night, first time since I got it. I heard in a month or so they are gonna ask us for feed-back on them. I think the hand held times out to soon, also I wish they could change the holders so that you could put them in upside down. I think it is more natural and when you grab it out of the holder (On hi-lo) You wouldn't get hit by scanner going off...

Last edited:
I work on inbound as well and the new mobile SCO is a pain in the ass..at least for that operation. Our man-hours on inbound have gone up slightly since the introduction of the new devices..it's simply because of the unnecessary navigation it takes to handle a piece of freight.

I am not sure if everyone is aware but you don't have to take out the battery and totally reboot the device when it freezes. If you get the continuous "spinning pinwheel", hold the home button (the little house), and you can close the app just like a regular smart phone. It will bring you back to the home screen and you can just open mobile SCO again..you don't even have to log back in with your badge. Saves a little bit of time.

one of differences from the older hand held is the pick ups. The new one does not show your pick ups after you complete your last delivery. If you did not hear the incoming message you have to hit the pick up button to look for pick ups.

It's amazing that there is better technology out there. But as I study this exact technology issue in my MBA IT course, I understand the frustration. Companies just install system with no thought on how it affects the organization, especially the people using it. The assumption is that workers have no input and that is the reason so many IT systems in large organizations fail after spending hundreds of millions of dollars.

Don't believe me, google ERP failures, the list is almost endless.

We haven't seen them yet. They took that away?
Upnorth , I can't speak for Highspeeds but I think he wasn't talking about GPS navigation , but the amount of menus you have to go through to do something simple like scan a piece of freight.

If you break a trailer and the freight shows being scanned on the trailer but it's not actually ON the trailer , you have to type in the pro number ( and you have to have the strip manifest OR you better have written down the pro if you want to do an exception )

Leave it to Conway yes Conway to take something that was easy but slow and make it harder longer and fast. Make no sense to me. More steps to do the same thing that took one in the only handhelds:wtflol:

Dealing with handhelds at the last two LTLs just slow the process down across the board. All of these things XPO has done since buying Conway is similar to what vitran did after buying pjax, but on a bigger scale. Wonder if in a couple years central transport will buy XPO like vitran and before anybody says they can't afford to....they can. Matty mouroun has deep pockets.

Dealing with handhelds at the last two LTLs just slow the process down across the board. All of these things XPO has done since buying Conway is similar to what vitran did after buying pjax, but on a bigger scale. Wonder if in a couple years central transport will buy XPO like vitran and before anybody says they can't afford to....they can. Matty mouroun has deep pockets.
Xpo has nothing to do with the new handhelds this is all the old Conway leaders that atlot of them were left go by xpo. The only thing that changed on the new handhelds is the name

It's amazing that there is better technology out there. But as I study this exact technology issue in my MBA IT course, I understand the frustration. Companies just install system with no thought on how it affects the organization, especially the people using it. The assumption is that workers have no input and that is the reason so many IT systems in large organizations fail after spending hundreds of millions of dollars.

Don't believe me, google ERP failures, the list is almost endless.
Good post, Century! And you're absolutely correct! God forbid these companies consult the people who ACTUALLY USE these devices. You're not alone though...we at ABF are frustrated with our system as well.

Just How would you know what he could or couldn't buy seems like your a disgruntled big mouth.