FedEx Freight | New Kenworth L trucks

They have to throw you guys a bone every now and then! (:
The truth is L units have no resale value, thus, it's not wise to invest tons of money into these units.
Road tractors, even after re-classed to the city, still bring decent money on resale....whether they're sold to Mexican companies or YRC....and before you guys respond, yes, we HAVE sold our worn out POS to YRC in the past...that company will buy almost anything!

That may have been true in the past when we were AF and didn't keep tractors over 400k. Now that we keep them for over a million miles, they are pretty much worth zilch.

I know this as fact, as a local company has purchased many of our old tractors. The get them for under $5k.

The last guy , the line-haul V.P., that okayed buyingspring ride trucks in the Fedex-Viking days ,got his butt fired, cuz it cost the company too many $ in medical costs for backs and necks and shop costs putting dashes back in place after shaking them loose.

The last guy , the line-haul V.P., that okayed buyingspring ride trucks in the Fedex-Viking days ,got his butt fired, cuz it cost the company too many $ in medical costs for backs and necks and shop costs putting dashes back in place after shaking them loose.
BS. Some of those same trucks are still in service.

More BS he didn't get fired. Also, he was not the person specing out the trucks.

And another tidbit, this is a direct quote from the man.
The AF model as they run their hub and spoke system, utilizing road drivers to swing freight and then leaving all those forklifts sit idle for sixteen hours a day is the stupidest thing I've ever seen.

Most of our local contractors are buying International Durastars used from Penske or Ryder. Linehaul contractors used to buy mostly Volvos, but most are buying Cascadias nowadays because the Volvos with D13 engines are having reliability issues.

Most of our local contractors are buying International Durastars used from Penske or Ryder. Linehaul contractors used to buy mostly Volvos, but most are buying Cascadias nowadays because the Volvos with D13 engines are having reliability issues.
Are those D13's the Volvo engines?
We "allegedly" quit buying Volvo's because they wouldn't offer them to us with the Cummings engine and they refused to provide us with the software needed to access the Volvo's ECM's.

We "allegedly" quit buying Volvo's because they wouldn't offer them to us with the Cummings engine and they refused to provide us with the software needed to access the Volvo's ECM's.
The D13 is Volvo's mainstream engine. My truck has one and its the one reason I can't wait to get rid of it. Tons of issues with the emissions system. Had to replace all 6 fuel injectors with about 400000mi on the odo. Cost about $5000 plus almost a month in a Penske Cascadia with a DD15. My next truck will be coming with a Detroit engine.

Sti
That may have been true in the past when we were AF and didn't keep tractors over 400k. Now that we keep them for over a million miles, they are pretty much worth zilch.

I know this as fact, as a local company has purchased many of our old tractors. The get them for under $5k.
Still seeing some Red Racers running down the Bayou how old are they now ?

Sti

Still seeing some Red Racers running down the Bayou how old are they now ?
We have a few red ones still running in the city. Most of ours were painted white and moved over to National only to have them come back after the merger!

We had a company come up from south FL and bought most of ours, said they gave $9K a piece for them. YRC bought a few of ours, some were sold to Rooms To Go, and others were sold to Goodwill along with some of our old trailers.

Racer you are correct we run d11 and d13 and everything has to go to volvo and then it takes forever since the dealership has to go step by step per volvo. Haven't really been to bad except for software updates that we can't or allowed to do. Any way's hope everybody had a Happy New Year "nuff said

Didn't know that any of our old trailers were roadworthy enough to be sold.
TOL has a bunch of old X vans that I'm told are for sale. And you can find our old pups (Viking, AF and Watkins varieties) for sale at several trailer sales dealers going for as little as $1200. They claim to be roadworthy, but are sold as recommended for storage use.

I can't believe they are actually buying new city tractors. Nothing but reclassed road trucks at our barn for at least the last ten years. Having said that I would still rather have a Volvo with 500,000 miles on it than the "Smurf" size new KW,s.
My million mile+ Volvo red racer still runs and drives better than any of the new trucks they buy!

Beaver Express here in Kansas has a lot of our red Volvos, they even run a lot of AF's old PW trailers.

roog

Driving one of the new city tractors. Not bad a little bouncy, but it's not as weak as I expected. It's 10 speed, and it accelerates well for a small city unit.

Does anyone know if these are licensed for 80,000 lbs? Our barn will be getting some L units in the next few weeks.

Does that change the legal weight limit for the drive axle? Or is 20,000 still legal on a single despite it's licensing.