SAIA | New Raise

The problem is, there are going to be very few profitable (as in experienced drivers with 5+ years in with an LTL competitor) knocking on that door. Sure, there will be plenty of drivers from OTR companies that want to be local knocking on Saias door, but I sure as hell won’t. I have 14 years LTL experience, first year as a dock worker, then 6 months as a hostler, 12 years P&D, then for the last year I’ve been line haul. I almost jumped ship to saia when they were offering a $5000 sign on bonus in my area a couple of years ago, but after hearing about the nanny cams, I said thanks but no thanks.
What are you going to do in another year or two when they all have them?
What are your concerns about the cameras?

There’s only three LTL carriers that never advertise for drivers on their back door UPS,fedex,and OD Go figure

That's because UPS knows there's more room on the side of a trailer.

hwHh5J9.jpg

Touché my friend I didn’t know UPS was that desperate but to have people spend 30 years in the military because that’s what they are I guess they have to beg for people

To be fair, you did specify ltl carriers and this trailer was outside a UPS Parcel center so I haven't really dis-proven your post. :1036316054:

On the other matter, I drove trailer (feeder) for Parcel for a time a while back and yes, they do run a tight ship, but if you just do your job you'll have no issues. I only left because I wanted to run the road in freight. (Dumb move on my part in retrospect).

What are you going to do in another year or two when they all have them?
What are your concerns about the cameras?

I guess I’ll cross that bridge when I get to it, and my concern about the cameras are that I don’t need some paper pushing desk jockey writing me up for reaching down and grabbing a soda out of my cooler, or fire me for calling on my bluetooth, it’s just way too much stress worrying about every move I make the cab all day long. I have zero problem with outward facing.

Last edited:
Don’t know about the soda, I always had a drink while I was driving and don’t think that’s against any rules. As far as the Bluetooth, while I was there it was against company policy, so I always knew that was a risk. A lot of people just don’t follow the rules, then it progresses to texting, sending pics, surfing the web, etc. That’s the real problem, and that’s what most folks are against. I did all of that too even though I knew it was risky. I was just lucky. I get that these companies don’t want to base their risk on luck.

The problem is in the cameras it's the policies surrounding them and the selective ways that those policies are enforced that's the real problem... and if you want to break it down even further the true problem holds a dual VP title

To be fair, you did specify ltl carriers and this trailer was outside a UPS Parcel center so I haven't really dis-proven your post. :1036316054:

On the other matter, I drove trailer (feeder) for Parcel for a time a while back and yes, they do run a tight ship, but if you just do your job you'll have no issues. I only left because I wanted to run the road in freight. (Dumb move on my part in retrospect).
Parcel pension still makes a guy think...

The problem is in the cameras it's the policies surrounding them and the selective ways that those policies are enforced that's the real problem
Absolutely, this is the biggest problem. Some skate why others get disciplined. I’ve saw it happen more times than I can count. FACT!!

The problem is in the cameras it's the policies surrounding them and the selective ways that those policies are enforced that's the real problem... and if you want to break it down even further the true problem holds a dual VP title
Wouldn't surprise me if that dual VP title retires, been awful quiet lately.... I don't know if it's fear or trying to sneak out of back-door.

Absolutely, this is the biggest problem. Some skate why others get disciplined. I’ve saw it happen more times than I can count. FACT!!
100% agree. It's unbelievable that within the same terminal, and from one terminal to the next, how policies are picked and chosen to be enforced or not. Great example: No tobacco policy. A "high ranking" management person (I won't name anyone) was chewing tobacco in the office at my terminal. So, how can they punish me for doing the same? Or, the padlock policy. Saw that violated constantly. I didn't get paid any more for adhering to policies, so why should I? Saia is a joke and it all starts in Atlanta.

I guess I’ll cross that bridge when I get to it, and my concern about the cameras are that I don’t need some paper pushing desk jockey writing me up for reaching down and grabbing a soda out of my cooler, or fire me for calling on my bluetooth, it’s just way too much stress worrying about every move I make the cab all day long. I have zero problem with outward facing.
I used to get a dispatcher that would give me places that either didn't have a dock or the dock was inaccessible to a 53' trailer. So someone who has no experience driving can dictate to me (the Professional Driver) whether or not I should attempt something that could potentially get me fired? No thank you. I played that game a few different times. Phone camera came in handy more than once.

They have the right to be selective. They want the best of the best. That’s how you build a successful company and if that’s the price they are willing to pay then so be it. SAIA never goes knocking on the driver’s door. They go knocking on SAIA’s door. It’s their choice if they want to accept the terms. If not they don’t care. Many will and they know it. I’m not saying I agree with the way this company operates. I’m just stating the facts!

It's not a lie if you believe it yourself!