FedEx Freight | New shop policy....we don't fix marker lights?

Wow...just looked up Fedex Freight CSA stats on the FMCSA site. Does anyone else find it to be unacceptable that 11.6% of our equipment is put out of service on roadside inspections?

Wow...just looked up Fedex Freight CSA stats on the FMCSA site. Does anyone else find it to be unacceptable that 11.6% of our equipment is put out of service on roadside inspections?

Not at all. Have you ever taken a look at a P trailer?

Not at all. Have you ever taken a look at a P trailer?

:hysterical:This has been going back and forth forever.

Have you taken a good look at any of the 283 or 286 series west coast trailers lately, they had to replace the wooden wheels with rubber tires, talk about antiques! they started scrapping them in IND and then had to put them back in service?

If you pull any of the 7 digit west coast dollies, you better carry a dock hook in the truck with you to unlatch the fifth wheel, cant tell you how many rotator cuff surgeries those have caused, you don't even hook up the electrical cord. You just carry a jumper cord.:1036316054:

Ha....antique equipment....pulled a trailer the other day manufactured by Hobbs in Texas? It was manufactured in 1986!!!

I find it to be very troublesome that 11% of our equipments get put out of service by inspectors. That means 2 of the 10 (10 sets = 20 pups) trips a driver makes in a week could result in an out of service? I used to try to make sure every piece of equipment I pull would not be put out of service! I don't mean to sound better than anybody else, but we all see the guys that hop in the truck, turn the key, and go. That's not me. I strive to do a proper pre-trip before every trip. I used to be able to have the shop fix any defects, but now they won't!

To quote the CSA guidlines for drivers it states: "You can start by making sure you observe all traffic regulations, make sure you do a comprehensive pre-trip inspection, participate in as much safety training as you can and don't allow ANYONE to force you into a situation that will result in a violation that will adversely affect YOUR safety rating."

I also feel that 11% is an unacceptable number. I don't care what other companies are doing. If the CHP knew our numbers were that high, Fedex Freight would be there cash cow at the California inspection stations. What if one of our shinny wheel drivers has a set of our trailers that is D/L at the scales. Do you think he's going to wait around for them to get fixed? If we are at 11% now with our new and improved maintenance program, its only going to go up from here. TP

I also feel that 11% is an unacceptable number. I don't care what other companies are doing. If the CHP knew our numbers were that high, Fedex Freight would be there cash cow at the California inspection stations. What if one of our shinny wheel drivers has a set of our trailers that is D/L at the scales. Do you think he's going to wait around for them to get fixed? If we are at 11% now with our new and improved maintenance program, its only going to go up from here. TP

As long as the kool-aid drinkers are happy, that's all that matters.

I find it to be very troublesome that 11% of our equipments get put out of service by inspectors. That means 2 of the 10 (10 sets = 20 pups) trips a driver makes in a week could result in an out of service?

Do your pre-trip. You can't be put out of service for a violation if there isn't one. These numbers only reflect the quality of drivers and the pre-trips they do.

Do your pre-trip. You can't be put out of service for a violation if there isn't one. These numbers only reflect the quality of drivers and the pre-trips they do.

OR what YOU are willing to run with to stay on schedule,,,,,,,,,,,Just Sayin.......

I had a Tx trooper tell me that they have 2 ways of righting you up they can make it a state ticket or a federal ticket. If its state it wont go against your record, but if he makes it federal it'll go on your CSA record. the information is out there look it up, its your license not anyone elses. It's your way of making a living protect it for all your worth. noone else will. ive refused equipt. for a light being out theres nothing they can do. If they get us to cave then the company WILL get worse than it is, thanks to FRED, then where we we all be?

The whole CSA thing is designed to make drivers hold the companies they work for accountable for their actions and vise versa. So do it. FedEx wont stand if they keep going down this path.

It also reflects the quality of post trips.

Yep your 100% right. This week alone I had 2 flats on my outbound pups and 1 paticular day I hooked my triples and had all 3 QR Valves (quick release) dumping air (I cleared them out)...Geeessss

I give up. You guys want to make something out of nothing go ahead. PSP has been around for a long time. They track crashes and serious inspection violations. I don't think marker lights fall under serious. Motor carriers use your DMV record for screening. In my state road side inspection violations due not show in a DMV report.
It's been pointed out states issue and revoke commercial licenses. Your license can only be revoked according to the laws of that state.
These CSA2010 points you guys are worried about have no effect on your license, unless your state legislature some how adapts the CSA point system into the state point system. I don't see that happening.
This thread was about fixing marker lights. It's been pointed out that in some locations the policy is being misinterpreted. If the shop can't fix it in 15 min you swap equipment. Under no circumstances are you required to leave the yard with any violations of the law.
The whole thread is about nothing.
I just sat in a seminar about CSA. There IS a points system for the driver, it can only be seen by the DOT inspector, it helps them decide on how hard they wanna look at you. Also had a safety rep there from a big company. He pretty much said the PSP report was gonna be more important than the state DMV report as it pertains to hiring cause, they can tell so much more from it. So, you can dismiss it all you want but, you better know what's on it and dispute it if it's wrong. One example they gave: a guy had a tire blowout, DOT pulled up and decided to do an inspection, he put the truck OOS for a flat tire...DUH....but the kicker was, he entered it as a post crash inspection, which it wasn't. YOU HAVE TO KNOW WHAT IS ON YOUR REPORT!!!!

I must live in a perfect world cause I always have time to do a pre-trip and post-trip inspection.
In the perfect world, you hook up your set, do your pretrip, leave your spoke terminal heading to a hub. You do your post trip, check with dispatch, and turn in your paperwork. You spot your trailers, then check back with dispatch to get your new assignment. You hook up your set, do your pretrip, fill out your paperwork, hit the computer, and your out the gate in 30 minutes. Lots of luck with all that happening in 30 minutes. In the real world, there is no room to park your set. You run to dispatch and wait in line for a computer and then on information what to do with your trailers. Post trip, that's not going to happen. You spot your trailers, then search for your new trailers. They are never where they are supposed to be. Hook up your set, bang the tires, cross your fingers, and run to the computer. Your out the gate in about 1.10 Paperwork, you'll catch up with that down the road, while your trying to make up the time you lost at the hub that you only got paid 30 minutes for your D&H. Your run requires you to average 58.5 miles and hour to be on time, and your in a state that has a 55 mph truck speed limit. Lunch consist for a microwave hotdog and a coke that you eat while doing your paperwork in your truck. Now its hammer down to your destination. Your in a state that has a 75 mile and hour speed limit for trucks, and your truck only runs 65. You arrive at your destination, turn in your paperwork, spot your trailers, and hit the computer. Your 15 minutes late because coming into town you spent an hour doing the last 20 miles do to traffic. Welcome to trailer trucking in the big city and the real world. TP

sharpshooter said:
I just sat in a seminar about CSA. There IS a points system for the driver, it can only be seen by the DOT inspector, it helps them decide on how hard they wanna look at you. Also had a safety rep there from a big company. He pretty much said the PSP report was gonna be more important than the state DMV report as it pertains to hiring cause, they can tell so much more from it. So, you can dismiss it all you want but, you better know what's on it and dispute it if it's wrong. One example they gave: a guy had a tire blowout, DOT pulled up and decided to do an inspection, he put the truck OOS for a flat tire...DUH....but the kicker was, he entered it as a post crash inspection, which it wasn't. YOU HAVE TO KNOW WHAT IS ON YOUR REPORT!!!!

I guess if you had a fix it ticket in the last three years and plan on loosing your job you may want to check your PSP before you apply anywhere. I'm not giving those a-holes any of my money. You can use the freedom of information act but it takes about 20 days.
Trust me your DMV counts far more than PSP, don't care what you heard. When you turn in an application most carriers want a DMV print out with it. Bad DMV print out you wont even be considered they won't even run a PSP.
How hard they look at you depends on the name on the truck not the driver. They determine what level inspection they are going to do before they run your license. If FedEx has a bad CSA score you will get a level 3 every time regardless of who is driving.