FedEx Freight | New shop policy....we don't fix marker lights?

HILLBILLY said:
Were short on trucks and mechanics but that doesn't excuse breaking the law. Don't come on here griping about how unfair this company is when they fire you for using a piece of equipment that is out of service.

Its technically not out of service. Even if you write up the chair is squeaky you aren't supposed to use that truck until a mechanic writes it off.

All he had to do was write ok to use will fix later. The other mechanics do complain about having to pull his weight

I read the boards a lot... not much for posting. This is the first post I ever read from "cat man" the didn't have a negative tone towards his place of employment. If Mike can change, so can you.

Maybe just wishfull thinking on my part. Can't stand the name calling of the company that pays your bills. It's like burning the flag. Sure you have the right to... but should you?

See lots of light issues. Mostly caused from FedEx saving money by not washing equipment. I know the shop I use wastes a lot of time trying to just keep up with corrsion issues with lights caused by salt from winter roads.
Another great idea to cut cost's to spend more in the long run.

Humble opinion only, but I think clause (c) under 396.11 addresses this: Prior to requiring or permitting a driver to operate a vehicle, every motor carrier or its agent shall repair any defect or deficiency listed on the driver vehicle inspection report which would be likely to affect the safety of operation of the vehicle.

I really think you're on a slippery slope if you refuse to run because a marker light is out...

oaf

If the marker light is there it has to work...this has been enforced for years...even before the advent of CSA.

I don't much care what the company is dinged for...however my license is a different story.

If I can recieve points for an inoperable marker then it doesn't go out the gate...(I don't much give a :::shit::: about FedEx rules...its not their license...its mine!)

Call Central and explain the prob...and the fact your shop won't fix it...explaining you won't leave with it until it is repaired as it is an offense.

Trust me...it will get fixed. And some idiot of a mechanic will have a chunk missing out his/her rear.

You are the captain of your own ship...just make sure it is seaworthy before leaving the dock.

Rat

This is a violation on the csa site. One of ours, so sure, lights aren't a OOS issue but, it could lead to finding one.....just saying

391.11(b)(4) Driver Yes Oper Com Veh W/O Corr Lenses Or Hearing Aid Driver Fitness
393.9(a) 2 No Inoperable Required Lamp

Rat ... you forgot to mention while on the phone to central (if you can get them to answer, thats another BS story) go on delay "get paid" until its fixed.

I have gotten a ticket back in the day when you had 2 lights in the clearence and one was out .... so my stuff is not leaving until its fixed or put on a different trailer ....:bananapartyhat:

This problem would not be so bad if SOME PEOPLE would just do a post trip inspection.

The next time you go to the (READYLINE) and you notice a mechanical issue with your Unit just do your Pre-trip as you normally would then go out the gate and when you come up on a scale pull around back and ask the (DOT) Officer to check your Unit out for you, or a (TA) etc. After he puts your Unit out of service and (CITES) the Company for the Violation and after the Company gets enough of them maybe they might change their policy. Especially with (2010) approaching if you would leave the yard without marker lgts. working then (YOU) the driver would recieve points against you under the Guidelines set-forth in the CSA (2010) Format. Good luck be safe and Happy Trails.

sharpshooter said:
Inspection activity stays on there for 3yrs. Driver and equipment plus hazmat. doesn't matter who's equipment, if you are in the seat, it's the driver's responsibility

Can you give me a link to this info please. States issue and revoke drivers license. In my state non- moving violations are not on your record and do not accumulate points. All this talk about marker lights is a lot about nothing. Drivers have no control when a bulb burns out. They can be working when you leave and burn out at anytime. Some lights, such as a rear turn, will take you out of service. that's why I carry extra bulbs. Go back and read the facts about CSA2010 and your driving record. Should everything be fixed before you leave the yard, sure it should, but a marker light. Not going to waste my time over one marker light.

that's why I carry extra bulbs.

Working on company equipment is grounds for termination.

Not going to waste my time over one marker light.

Let's say conditions deteriorate (heavy rain, fog, snow, etc) and you're involved in an accident where someone's hurt/killed. Right or wrong, do you think the opposing attorneys might use the fact that you were operating equipment with inoperable lights against you in a civil suit? Not to mention tickets. So many of these states/cities are broke and that big "FEDEX" decal on the trailer is like a cash machine. Plus, one light's out...let's see what else is wrong here = Level 3 inspection.

It continually amazes me how people can justify how a $28 billion company doesn't need to fix a 2 dollar light. Incredible!!!

Tail light or headlight out =level 6 CSA points X 3 for first offence = 18 total points according to the csa points.

Mike Varnco said:
Working on company equipment is grounds for termination.

It continually amazes me how people can justify how a $28 billion company doesn't need to fix a 2 dollar light. Incredible!!!

Let me see here. If I swap out a light bulb at a DOT inspection. I could be terminated. In my 39 years I should have been fired a few times I guess. Yea right send out a device truck to change a damn light bulb. I had a fork lift driver take out a tail light at a delivery 100 miles from the terminal. I went to the local auto supply store and bought the sealed assembly. Problem solved and I was reimbursed. Let's not be so helpless out there. I guess I come from old school.

Ok then what happens?

All that happens for now, is any company that you might consider applying for, can use this information as a pre employment screening. I guess it's really no big deal as long as you stay with your existing employer for your entire driving career.

no reflective tape or missing reflective tape 393.11=3 points x 3,ABS light out 393.55 = 4 points x 3,inoperative clearance or marker light out 393.9A =2 points x 3,turn signal light out or brake light out 393.9ts = 6 points x 3, The times three are for first offence of receiving the violation. If you already had one of these violation say 2 years ago you will receive the points X 2, If three years ago you will receive the points as they are. So if the shop will not fix them, All I can say is its at your risk pulling it. And it takes a DOT inspection to receive the points. A regular officer can not give you the points unless he is DOT qualified and give a road side inspection. Just because its not a moving violation and doesn't go on your MVR doesn't mean it still doesn't have consanguineous.The company and you will receive the same pionts except the company I think doesn't get the times 3,2,or 1. I think they only get the infraction points.