FedEx Freight | New shop policy....we don't fix marker lights?

Let me see here. If I swap out a light bulb at a DOT inspection. I could be terminated. In my 39 years I should have been fired a few times I guess. Yea right send out a device truck to change a damn light bulb. I had a fork lift driver take out a tail light at a delivery 100 miles from the terminal. I went to the local auto supply store and bought the sealed assembly. Problem solved and I was reimbursed. Let's not be so helpless out there. I guess I come from old school.

I'm just telling you company policy.
Proceed at your own risk.

Can you give me a link to this info please. States issue and revoke drivers license. In my state non- moving violations are not on your record and do not accumulate points. All this talk about marker lights is a lot about nothing. Drivers have no control when a bulb burns out. They can be working when you leave and burn out at anytime. Some lights, such as a rear turn, will take you out of service. that's why I carry extra bulbs. Go back and read the facts about CSA2010 and your driving record. Should everything be fixed before you leave the yard, sure it should, but a marker light. Not going to waste my time over one marker light.

If you are moving down the highway how can you say its a non-moving violation? Was told for years lights where non-moving when working in the oil patch where getting a lite broken or knocked off was a everyday affair, until the state put me on probation for having to many moving violations. That was back in the 80s and I started making sure my equipment was right.

Let me see here. If I swap out a light bulb at a DOT inspection. I could be terminated. In my 39 years I should have been fired a few times I guess. Yea right send out a device truck to change a damn light bulb. I had a fork lift driver take out a tail light at a delivery 100 miles from the terminal. I went to the local auto supply store and bought the sealed assembly. Problem solved and I was reimbursed. Let's not be so helpless out there. I guess I come from old school.
I'm still waiting on reimbursment for problems I fixed myself. They can send a vendor next time I have a problem. I'll take a 3hr rest while they try to locate me. I can't even get our CCM to pay me out of petty cash with a receipt.

In the perfect world, you hook up your set, do your pretrip, leave your spoke terminal heading to a hub. You do your post trip, check with dispatch, and turn in your paperwork. You spot your trailers, then check back with dispatch to get your new assignment. You hook up your set, do your pretrip, fill out your paperwork, hit the computer, and your out the gate in 30 minutes. Lots of luck with all that happening in 30 minutes. In the real world, there is no room to park your set. You run to dispatch and wait in line for a computer and then on information what to do with your trailers. Post trip, that's not going to happen. You spot your trailers, then search for your new trailers. They are never where they are supposed to be. Hook up your set, bang the tires, cross your fingers, and run to the computer. Your out the gate in about 1.10 Paperwork, you'll catch up with that down the road, while your trying to make up the time you lost at the hub that you only got paid 30 minutes for your D&H. Your run requires you to average 58.5 miles and hour to be on time, and your in a state that has a 55 mph truck speed limit. Lunch consist for a microwave hotdog and a coke that you eat while doing your paperwork in your truck. Now its hammer down to your destination. Your in a state that has a 75 mile and hour speed limit for trucks, and your truck only runs 65. You arrive at your destination, turn in your paperwork, spot your trailers, and hit the computer. Your 15 minutes late because coming into town you spent an hour doing the last 20 miles do to traffic. Welcome to trailer trucking in the big city and the real world. TP

pops11359 said:
If you are moving down the highway how can you say its a non-moving violation? Was told for years lights where non-moving when working in the oil patch where getting a lite broken or knocked off was a everyday affair, until the state put me on probation for having to many moving violations. That was back in the 80s and I started making sure my equipment was right.

Glad I don't live in your state. In my state it is a fix it ticket. Some things like break adjustments have to be fixed before you can continue and the company may be fined but nothing goes against my license or driving record. How do I as a driver have any control over that or a head light burning out while I'm going down the road. I had a HM spill. The ticket was written to me. I went to court pleaded guilty but Viking paid the $750 fine because it was loaded by the dock. I have never had anything on my driving record. Same thing with over weight, registration, on and on, not moving violations. Company pays a fine nothing on my record. And we all get a DMV print out every year. Never have any violations reported there, never.

Cody you bring up a good point. The only ***** in the armor is that was then (Viking) and this is now (Fedex), who doesn't like to pay for anything, not to mention the new CSA rules. I guess only time will tell. TP

Mike Varnco said:
I'm just telling you company policy.
Proceed at your own risk.

If I get fired for changing a light bulb they will be doing me a favor. But then again they will never know will they. Because I didn't get the ticket. Because I changed the damn bulb. This is all very silly.

almost13ranch said:
I would check your facts again. ANY violation found when an INSPECTION is done, and you can bet at least a level 3 will be done every time you might be stopped, WILL be on an individual drivers record for a Pre Employment Screening score and will follow you anywhere you try to apply, and the carrier choses to use this PSP. They claim it's voluntary for the carriers to use, but do you think any large carrier won't use it? Also the violation is what counts, not what you're convicted of. You HAVE to read about this carefully.

PSP has been around for sometime and is not part of CSA. Companies that want to use PSP data to evaluate drivers can only get this data with the drivers permission.

This is from the FMCSA website, doesn't sound like it's new and will include inspection information.

"What is the Pre-Employment Screening Program (PSP), who can access it, and how?

PSP is a new FMCSA program mandated by Congress that is designed to assist the motor carrier industry in assessing individual operators' crash and serious safety violation history as a pre-employment condition. The program is voluntary and is not part of CSA.

Through NIC Technologies, motor carriers may request driver information for the purpose of pre-employment screening. The driver must provide written consent. Individual drivers may request their own driver information record at any time. The information will be retrieved from the Motor Carrier Management Information System (MCMIS). MCMIS electronic profiles contain five years of crash data and three years of inspection data; however, MCMIS does not include conviction data. There is a fee for this service.

For carrier to enroll in PSP, visit Pre-Employment Screening Program: Enroll. For additional questions about PSP, visit the PSP Website's FAQs page (Pre-Employment Screening Program: FAQ) or the PSP "Contact Us" page (http://www.psp.fmcsa.dot.gov/Pages/ContactUs.aspx)."

Don't give your permission? They will go to the next applicant.

Glad I don't live in your state. In my state it is a fix it ticket. Some things like break adjustments have to be fixed before you can continue and the company may be fined but nothing goes against my license or driving record.

With the CSA program, you will get points. You don't even have to get a ticket. I have 10 points because the officer noted on a clean inspection that he pulled me over for speeding. There were no tickets issued.

How do I as a driver have any control over that or a head light burning out while I'm going down the road.

A Volvo will tell you when one is out and if it's at night you should be able to see it. Don't you look at your truck when you get in and out of it?

I had a HM spill. The ticket was written to me. I went to court pleaded guilty but Viking paid the $750 fine because it was loaded by the dock. I have never had anything on my driving record. Same thing with over weight, registration, on and on, not moving violations.

Not anymore. You will get points on your safety record. It's different from your license. Your CSA record will be something employers look at to see how safe a driver you are.

Company pays a fine nothing on my record. And we all get a DMV print out every year. Never have any violations reported there, never.

Like I said, it's a different record than your DMV record.

I give up. You guys want to make something out of nothing go ahead. PSP has been around for a long time. They track crashes and serious inspection violations. I don't think marker lights fall under serious. Motor carriers use your DMV record for screening. In my state road side inspection violations due not show in a DMV report.
It's been pointed out states issue and revoke commercial licenses. Your license can only be revoked according to the laws of that state.
These CSA2010 points you guys are worried about have no effect on your license, unless your state legislature some how adapts the CSA point system into the state point system. I don't see that happening.
This thread was about fixing marker lights. It's been pointed out that in some locations the policy is being misinterpreted. If the shop can't fix it in 15 min you swap equipment. Under no circumstances are you required to leave the yard with any violations of the law.
The whole thread is about nothing.

I give up. You guys want to make something out of nothing go ahead. PSP has been around for a long time. They track crashes and serious inspection violations. I don't think marker lights fall under serious. Motor carriers use your DMV record for screening. In my state road side inspection violations due not show in a DMV report.
It's been pointed out states issue and revoke commercial licenses. Your license can only be revoked according to the laws of that state.
These CSA2010 points you guys are worried about have no effect on your license, unless your state legislature some how adapts the CSA point system into the state point system. I don't see that happening.
This thread was about fixing marker lights. It's been pointed out that in some locations the policy is being misinterpreted. If the shop can't fix it in 15 min you swap equipment. Under no circumstances are you required to leave the yard with any violations of the law.
What your missing is, your PSP report is NOW, another tool for employers to see what kind of risk you are to THEIR CSA score. The same thing goes for drivers researching companies. Why do you think the website crashed numerous times when they re-configured it? They had more hits in a month, than they had all of last year. Your PSP is gonna be right there with your DMV in evaluating wether or not you get hired. With all things equal, who they gonna hire? A clean PSP report, or one with violations?

In the perfect world, you hook up your set, do your pretrip, leave your spoke terminal heading to a hub. You do your post trip, check with dispatch, and turn in your paperwork. You spot your trailers, then check back with dispatch to get your new assignment. You hook up your set, do your pretrip, fill out your paperwork, hit the computer, and your out the gate in 30 minutes. Lots of luck with all that happening in 30 minutes. In the real world, there is no room to park your set. You run to dispatch and wait in line for a computer and then on information what to do with your trailers. Post trip, that's not going to happen. You spot your trailers, then search for your new trailers. They are never where they are supposed to be. Hook up your set, bang the tires, cross your fingers, and run to the computer. Your out the gate in about 1.10 Paperwork, you'll catch up with that down the road, while your trying to make up the time you lost at the hub that you only got paid 30 minutes for your D&H. Your run requires you to average 58.5 miles and hour to be on time, and your in a state that has a 55 mph truck speed limit. Lunch consist for a microwave hotdog and a coke that you eat while doing your paperwork in your truck. Now its hammer down to your destination. Your in a state that has a 75 mile and hour speed limit for trucks, and your truck only runs 65. You arrive at your destination, turn in your paperwork, spot your trailers, and hit the computer. Your 15 minutes late because coming into town you spent an hour doing the last 20 miles do to traffic. Welcome to trailer trucking in the big city and the real world. TP

HA! I love this. Should be required reading for all Central Line Dispatchers. Not that they would understand it, but at least maybe we could get it into their file.

Reality and our business model have nothing in common.

If your equipment is not up to DOT snuff, leave it. Period. I would dare some red shirt to make an issue about it when a simple call the HR with the details and names would at the very least get someone to talk to him.

Cody, Check out transport topics last month or this month, It tells how many warning letters were sent out for disqualification if those drivers got any more points.

sharpshooter said:
What your missing is, your PSP report is NOW, another tool for employers to see what kind of risk you are to THEIR CSA score. The same thing goes for drivers researching companies. Why do you think the website crashed numerous times when they re-configured it? They had more hits in a month, than they had all of last year. Your PSP is gonna be right there with your DMV in evaluating wether or not you get hired. With all things equal, who they gonna hire? A clean PSP report, or one with violations?

Yes I know this. Were talking clearance lights here. PSP tracks crashes and serious violations. Violations that drivers have control over such as expired lic, expired health card, fraudulent health card, HOS violations, no log book, no HM endorsement, on and on not a damn light bulb.

Maybe someone who has gotten an inspection and had a bulb out, will get his PSP report and put this to rest. I'll even put up the 10 bucks it costs. I got my PSP report but, I've never had any violations

sharpshooter said:
Maybe someone who has gotten an inspection and had a bulb out, will get his PSP report and put this to rest. I'll even put up the 10 bucks it costs. I got my PSP report but, I've never had any violations

Actually you need someone who has a copy of their PSP report obtained by a third party.