FedEx Freight | Not very good service today

Hub-City

TB Lurker
Credits
I am driver and a small business owner.
Fedex Freight called me this AM to tell me they have a COD shipment for me and asked that I have a check ready. No problem i tell the lady. I hear the driver in the background asking the caller all sorts of questions like do i have a dock (no). Is there parking on the street (yes). "well tell him i have 48' trailer" I tell her that duie, YRC, Sysco, NEMF all make deliveries along Main Street all day long and there is never a problem...
SO I get the check ready... and wait.
I leave my store for an hour and during this absence the delivery comes.

My store manager tells me the driver is a bit of a jerk... He parked a block down the street (I had told the caller double-parking out front is fine) and came into the store and asked if if we wanted "Inside delivery" for an additional charge. What? My guy asks how much? Of course the driver didn't know... My guy is a rather annoyed at this time because the driver is kinda rude about this whole inside delivery thing. Mind you, the store is on Main Street and I get deliveries like this frequently. My guy is a bit bewildered...

So the driver makes my guy get our 2-wheeler and walk down the street to get our box. Poor service, I'd say!
All-in-all, I wish I was here for the delivery... He'da brought it in or i'da refused delivery!

And the only reason I posted this was I feel he's an exception and I hope that's not an indication of the way things are headed!

Fedex Freight called me this AM to tell me they have a COD shipment for me and asked that I have a check ready. No problem i tell the lady. I hear the driver in the background asking the caller all sorts of questions like do i have a dock (no). Is there parking on the street (yes). "well tell him i have 48' trailer" I tell her that duie, YRC, Sysco, NEMF all make deliveries along Main Street all day long and there is never a problem...

My store manager tells me the driver is a bit of a jerk... He parked a block down the street (I had told the caller double-parking out front is fine) and came into the store and asked if if we wanted "Inside delivery" for an additional charge. What? My guy asks how much? Of course the driver didn't know... My guy is a rather annoyed at this time because the driver is kinda rude about this whole inside delivery thing. Mind you, the store is on Main Street and I get deliveries like this frequently. My guy is a bit bewildered...

So the driver makes my guy get our 2-wheeler and walk down the street to get our box. Poor service, I'd say!
All-in-all, I wish I was here for the delivery... He'da brought it in or i'da refused delivery!

And the only reason I posted this was I feel he's an exception and I hope that's not an indication of the way things are headed!

i'm a linehaul driver and former city driver for fedex freight. not sure of the cirrcumstances that led up to this but it may well be several things like arrogance, laziness, bad day, family issues, his manager. i don't want to make excuses but i know when i was in the city i tried to go the extra mile for my customers( guess thats why i never had any complaints) but if it wasn't anything oversized that i needed help with and the customer wasn't rude to me as well then i would get r done and move on because it's customer service that keeps you coming back. you say you are a driver as well so keep in mind we do have our days,:smilie_132: because the next time he may well be the most pleasant person you ever meet.

I completly agree with fxfr8man on the fact that the customer is the reason I can even afford this computer I'm using or have a job. These are the guidelines that I use..... I usually try to get as close to the delivery stop as possible without going around back of buildings or down alleys. I then go into the customer's business and find the person responsible for accepting deliveries. I ask that customer where he or she usually accepts tractor trailer deliveries. If your manager would have told me out front and double parking is ok, I would have told him that is where my truck was located and when he had time to unload me that I would be outside waiting on him to assist me with the delivery. If my customer asks me to carry the freight into their store I will tell them that if I have to carry the frieght into the store myself that there is an inside delivery charge for that, but if we were to go out and help each other bring the freight into the store I don't charge inside delivery fees on that type of delivery. I would however take into consideration if your manager was the only person in the store and your business had customers in it, I would then start unloading the truck myself and if I finished before the manager was done helping your customers well then I would simply ask him for a signature after he verified the piece count on the freight bill. There would be NO inside delivery charge for that delivery. I would not ask that you possibly upset your customers to unload my truck!!

When you heard the driver in the background in the morning in my opinion that is where the unprofessional behavior started. The fact that he wanted you to know he was coming in a 48ft trailer could also be an indication that he is a new driver and a little intimidated manuvering the trailer in tight spots?? Whatever the reason is, it is still unexcusable. I'm SORRY that you had a bad experience with FedEx Freight and I would ask you as a customer of the company that I work for to consider that he was having a bad day and don"t hold his behavior against the rest of us FedEx drivers. Thank you in advance for your compassion in this matter. P.S. If the same driver delivers to you again and acts the same way be sure to contact the center manager of your service center and let him know this is happening. I asure you it will be handled accordingly!!! Thank You Sir for your time and as an associate of FedEx Freight I apologize for his bad behavior!!!!

As much as some people don't like it, if we unload and bring it in there is an inside delivery charge. If it is something I can carry in when I first walk in then I just take it in and there is no charge. If there are several pieces or they want them in the front door through the store and in a back room then there is a charge. If they come out and help me bring it in then again no charge, but if they want to be demanding and don't want to help you bet there is a charge. Of course this is just the way I do my route.

As much as some people don't like it, if we unload and bring it in there is an inside delivery charge. If it is something I can carry in when I first walk in then I just take it in and there is no charge. If there are several pieces or they want them in the front door through the store and in a back room then there is a charge. If they come out and help me bring it in then again no charge, but if they want to be demanding and don't want to help you bet there is a charge. Of course this is just the way I do my route.

i do the same thing as chitown i treat someone as they treat me simple wat of doing things for me

dont take this the wrong way, if you didnt have a forklift or a dock and i cldnt easily get to you, i would have done the same thing that driver did. 99.9% of the time we could care less if the freight comes off or not. what was the prob when you going to get the freight? the driver was right to ask you if you wanted inside delivery and if you are a driver yourself you should know how the process works. if inside delivery is not on the DR it is not covered, the driver was right.

it normally depends on how the customer treats you.normally i just bring the stuff in but if the customer is rude to me and talks down to me like some people do to truck drivers my job is to get it to the tail of the truck only.also as far as the inside delivery charge goes if a driver brings something in that is not an inside delivery and puts foot prints on the carpet or scratches the wall or breaks something the driver will be fired.
for some reason i think there is more to the story then what we are being told and plus i think its weird a customer comes on to an internet site not affilaited with fedex to tell us about it.why not call the center?i think it was also stated the customer said it is ok to double park in front of his place but if a ticket was issued who was going to be responsable?

i was thinking about what this driver was asked to do because i just reread the post. he was asked to double park wich is against the law then he was asked to perform a free service now is a jerk because he wouldn't break the law and followed company policy.i personally can't tell you how many times some customers say you can get a 53 footer in here and when you get there there is not even 40 feet between the dock and the fence. like i said i wasn't there and we are only getting half the story.

I may have missed something, If I did excuse me for being slow on the outtake. Is it an inside delivery if you only take the freight in 1 door? So if you unloaded the frt. then placed it inside the front of the store or thru the delivery door it would be an inside del?

I may have missed something, If I did excuse me for being slow on the outtake. Is it an inside delivery if you only take the freight in 1 door? So if you unloaded the frt. then placed it inside the front of the store or thru the delivery door it would be an inside del?

that is 100% correct

inside the front door is not an inside delivery when I was a city driver if it was something 1 driver could handle

It depends on what it is 1 carton at 25 pounds then no If it is a skid at a few hundred pounds then yes
As it was explained to us by our scm if you have a skid with 50 cartons it isn't inside delivery to bring it in. But they will get charged sort and segregate which is roughly the same price. It seems to depend on the driver for the most part. If someone is willing to pay for inside delivery then I have no problem doing it. My only stipulations are I will not go inside someone's house nor will I take freight up a flight of stairs. We have some drivers who will not do inside del if it is not printed in the body of the DR even if the customer is willing to initial for it. I personally have a problem with that. If they are willing to pay for it then I am willing to do the inside del

Fedex Freight called me this AM to tell me they have a COD shipment for me and asked that I have a check ready.
Nobody likes COD's do they? Everybody has them, but you know they aren't your favorite stops to make....

I hear the driver in the background asking the caller all sorts of questions like do i have a dock (no). Is there parking on the street (yes). "well tell him i have 48' trailer."
If I'm asking questions, I'm usually having a bad day....Nothing personal, I'm just having a bad day....

I tell her that duie, YRC, Sysco, NEMF all make deliveries along Main Street all day long and there is never a problem...
I always enjoy hearing how other drivers never have a problem....

SO I get the check ready...and wait.
Driver was probably held up on account of uncontrollable circumstances at previous deliveries....You know, wait in line for a door, wait for Julio the construction worker to find a skytrack, dig out first delivery buried in the nose....

He parked a block down the street (I had told the caller double-parking out front is fine) and came into the store and asked if if we wanted "Inside delivery" for an additional charge. What? My guy asks how much? Of course the driver didn't know...
No one at my barn double parks, get in too much trouble....I can't imagine any of my fellow associates actually walking an entire block to a customers location....Drive around the block once, maybe twice if I'm feeling good, then it's on to the next stop.

Driver's don't make the customers do anything....

Or, he'da said: It'll be sitting on the dock back at the barn when you are ready to come pick it up....

Seriously, possibly a new driver or just an average driver having a not so good day. He probably thought nothing of the stop. Just one more off his truck. Give him the benefit of the doubt this time.

Hub City,sorry for the bad service,as you read most of the gang will try to do what it takes to get'r done,but may be as was said eariler he might have been new,had to many stops for the day or not want to deal with a COD.I've been in situations where I was looking for the address and stop short of it,walked a bit to find it's away from where I parked but still found it easier to unload where I was parked rather than move.Again it depends on the situation...........he could also be just a unhappy camper,every center has one.:smilie_132:

maybe the driver was late because the customer before him was also giving him a hard time about wanting an inside delivery but not wanting to pay for it.
i do everything i can to make my customers happy its just sometimes they seem to treat us like we are below them and i had just about enough of that.

I can sympathize with the customer to a point. I haven't started Fedex yet, but at mid-states if they wanted me to bring the stuff in I'd do it. But since FedEx charge extra for the service I probably wouldn't, would depend on how much trouble I'd get in. I wouldn't have double parked though. I'm sure other truck drivers have done it, doesn't stop it from being illegal. If they told me to do something illegal to drop off the stuff I'd call dispatch and see what they thought. I'd say "if FedEx will pay my parking ticket then I'll do it, if not you'll need a pup and or a straight truck."

I've had customers treat me like that, but usually the best thing to do is be very polite and courteous. 9 times out of 10 they'll realize how they are acting and apologize.

maybe the driver was late because the customer before him was also giving him a hard time about wanting an inside delivery but not wanting to pay for it.
i do everything i can to make my customers happy its just sometimes they seem to treat us like we are below them and i had just about enough of that.

Call the terminal and ask your supervisor what to do, don't take it in your own hands to make a decision that could get you in trouble.

C over
Y our
A ss

If it were me .....
I know the check is ready.
Toss it on my shoulder and get rid of it.
Customer is happy and you are done wasting time.

End of story ......

God Lord guys are we that lazy !

If it were me .....
I know the check is ready.
Toss it on my shoulder and get rid of it.
Customer is happy and you are done wasting time.

End of story ......

God Lord guys are we that lazy !
of all the post I have seen on this ... this is the best one .... by far ....its off the truck ...customer is happy ...and we are moving on down the road .... good job smoke!! ...:1036316054: