TB Veteran
Credits
Notice

DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION

Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration

49 CFR Parts 365, 382, 383, 385, 387, and 390-399

[Docket No. FMCSA-2007-28055]

Demonstration Project on NAFTA Trucking Provisions

AGENCY: Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA)

ACTION: Notice; request for public comment

Notice - Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration

PLEASE follow the instructions in this article and leave you comments!

Have any of you done this?

hillbilly frog :1036316054:

Looks like all your buddies didn't even bother to give you a hand on this one.
It's not like you didn't give them plenty of time.
Maybe they are all resigned to see the Mexican drivers (*****) come over and take the jobs if and when everyone goes on strike next year.
Unfortunately I just saw your link to leave comments to the DOT 15 minutes before midnight of the cutoff date. So I was no help either.
:smilie_132:

What would be the sense in holding a strike?
Their isn't enough members for solidarity with the few remaining union companies to matter?
Yes theres strength in numbers,but theres just not enough numbers any more to force union companies to meet the demands of union contracts.

The over whelming majority of non-union companies would fill the gap in transporting all our nations goods,and leave the union companies out in the cold.

You know that there are non-union sharks learking to grab all the business they can,as soon as some trucking company shows any weakness,to deliever the transportation needs of demanding shippers.

Maybe this is just my opinion?
But all the years I've got in the trucking business I can only see a strike as counter productive,that will hurt all the Teamsters that would walk out,and only give the non-union companies a chance to increase their business.

Maybe they are all resigned to see the Mexican drivers (*****) come over and take the jobs if and when everyone goes on strike next year.

I guess you are privy to special inside information out there on the Left side. You seem to know more about everything union than any of the union members do. As a matter of fact after reading most of your post you pretty much seem to know it all.

I guess you are privy to special inside information out there on the Left side. You seem to know more about everything union than any of the union members do. As a matter of fact after reading most of your post you pretty much seem to know it all.

I'm sorry to come across as a know it all.
But after being in the trucking business since 1972 I've seen my share.
Actually I read trade publications like Transport Topics and a few others. And of course I use truckingboards.com to round out my education.

The over whelming majority of non-union companies would fill the gap in transporting all our nations goods,and leave the union companies out in the cold.

You know that there are non-union sharks learking to grab all the business they can,as soon as some trucking company shows any weakness,to deliever the transportation needs of demanding shippers.

Apostolic :1036316054:

Actually the non-union companies would not go after the freight hauled by union LTL companies while they are on strike.
Three reasons:
First: by going after so much freight all of a sudden they risk giving bad service to their regular accounts.
Secondly: they would have to rent a bunch of equipment and then hope to not lose it somewhere.
Thirdly: a lot of that freight would go back to the union carriers after strike is over and therefore not making it worth the extra effort.

After a union LTL carriers goes out of business, and only then would the non-union outfits want to pick from the better paying freight left over. They would not want to haul cheap freight like CF was forced to haul just to keep their trailers full.

Unfortunately I just saw your link to leave comments to the DOT 15 minutes before midnight of the cutoff date. So I was no help either.

river17, I seriously doubt you'll ever see another freight strike.

In my 20 years as a Teamster Freight member I've never seen the amount of cooperation between the companies and the union as I have the last few years.

Neither side wants a strike and both sides now realize that there is way too much at stake to strike and they are gonna work together to hammer out a contract that is fair to both sides.

I'm even gonna predict an early contract settlement. I'll bet you'll see the NMFA settled by mid January to mid February 2008.

river17, I seriously doubt you'll ever see another freight strike.

In my 20 years as a Teamster Freight member I've never seen the amount of cooperation between the companies and the union as I have the last few years.

Neither side wants a strike and both sides now realize that there is way too much at stake to strike and they are gonna work together to hammer out a contract that is fair to both sides.

I'm even gonna predict an early contract settlement. I'll bet you'll see the NMFA settled by mid January to mid February 2008.

CFer :1036316054:

I hope you are right. In some other post I stated that the shippers are the ones that are putting the pressure on the union LTL carriers to get a contract signed, so that the shippers won't have to hedge their bets and divert as much as 50% of their freight to long term contracts with non-union carriers.