Yellow | Number 2 Yellow Freightways buys number 1 Roadway Express

quietriver

TB Lurker
Credits
Check out this news article from July 9 2003. Yellow was called Yellow Freightways. Not YRCW. And there was no parent company called yellow transportation until after the buy out of Roadway. Sure looks like a Roadway end tail.....
http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9F06EEDD123DF93AA35754C0A9659C8B63

Check out this news article from July 9 2003. Yellow was called Yellow Freightways. Not YRCW. And there was no parent company called yellow transportation until after the buy out of Roadway. Sure looks like a Roadway end tail.....
http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9F06EEDD123DF93AA35754C0A9659C8B63

Link isn't taking me to the article just to NY times.

computer moron

I'm having trouble with attachments. if you google (When did Yellow Freightways buy Roadway Express) this site comes up. Sorry

You people are idiots not teamsters. This union is gonna fail with mentality like this. Sounds to me like yellow is a bunch of MESTERS!! Thats to bad

The article clearly states that Yellow Corporation purchased Roadway. At the time, Yellow Corporation consisted of 3 subsidiaries
  • Yellow Transportation
  • Meridian IQ (now YRC Logistics)
  • Yellow Technologies

In 2002, Yellow Freight was renamed Yellow Transportation, Inc., which was a fully owned subsidiary of Yellow Corporation. Yellow Transportation did not buy Roadway. Yellow Corporation purchased Roadway.

History: 1924 to the Present

Here's one more........Jan 28, 2008

Shake-up at YRC Worldwide expected

One of YRC Worldwide Inc.’s
regional trucking companies may be closed or restructured when the Overland Park
trucking giant on Monday discloses its 2008 plans, a prominent investment
analyst said Friday. Ed Wolfe, trucking analyst for Bear Stearns & Co.,
issued a report speculating that YRC executives may announce a shutdown of part
of USF Reddaway’s operations. Reddaway, which operates in 15 Western states
and Canada, absorbed another YRC regional unit, USF Bestway, last year. Bestway
operated mainly in the Southwest, and combining the two carriers has resulted in
poorer service at Reddaway, Stearns wrote. YRC’s biggest regional carrier is
USF Holland, which operates in the Kansas City area. A YRC spokeswoman could
not be reached for comment Friday. YRC has struggled mightily in the past
year, blaming a softening economy that hit the trucking industry sooner than it
did other sectors. The company will release its fourth-quarter and annual financial results on Monday as well.

Bill Zollars, YRC’s chairman and chief executive, announced earlier this
month that YRC would take a pretax charge of up to $800 million, mainly due to
the declining value of its regional trucking companies. Earnings for the quarter
and full year will be disappointing, Zollars cautioned.

Analysts like Wolfe also believe YRC’s two big acquisitions this decade —
Roadway Corp. and USF Corp. — haven’t gone as well as expected. He said that
could result in a big shake-up come Monday. “YRCW could announce a major
restructuring, further write-downs and a plan for further cost-savings going
forward,” Wolfe said in his report. “There is little evidence of YRCW’s
supposed cost-savings related to the Roadway and USF mergers at this point.”

YRC’s two national carriers, Yellow Transportation and Roadway, may also be
affected, according to Wolfe. Those subsidiaries may merge some operations by
consolidating terminals in the same city or integrating sales and office
functions, Wolfe said. YRC is trying to wring $100 million in costs out of the
entire company, including recently discontinuing its NASCAR sponsorship.
Zollars and other YRC executives are also expected to discuss Monday the impact
of the tentative five-year contract with the Teamsters union, which is being voted on by YRC drivers and dockworkers. Reddaway is not a union carrier, although the Teamsters are in an organizing drive.

After plunging to a low of $12.62 a share on Jan. 4, YRC’s stock has jumped 49 percent. The stock closed at $18.86 a share on Friday.

Wolfe said he believes YRC’s stock has risen and outperformed the
trucking sector as a whole due to short traders taking profits amid the Fed’s
actions to spark the economy. Trucking companies, affected early in economic
cycles, are also popular among investors who believe business conditions will
improve later this year.

http://www.kansascity.com/business/story/461550.html

Damn, here we go again!.....Yellow Fregiht Systems incorportaed bought SAIA with the preston deal. Yellow then formed a holding company callled....YELLOW CORP, INC....then, after spinning off SAIA on its own and closing Preston....the YELLOW CORP. bought Roadway Express and made it, as well as Yellow Freight, a subsidie of Yellow Corp, Inc....and then changed the name to YELLOW-ROADWAY CORP....are you still with me?

Then the name of the HOLDING company was changed to reflect their worldwide service and called it YRC Worldwide.....and during this process bought out Holland, RedStar, and the others.

ALL of the above companys are wholly owned subsiites of YRCW....if you merge 2 of them and they are both under the NMFA...YOU WILL BE DOVE-TAILED!!!....end of story!.....KK

dirty699

kennesaw kid have u heard any time frame on when we will know if it is a dove-tail or a in-tail. I saw what you said but with yellow until it's in black and white you don't know what they will do.

Let me interject here for a moment...

Yellow Transportation and Roadway Express are wholly owned subsidiaries of YRCWorldwide... YRCWorldwide has announced that it intends to MERGE the 2 subsidiaries (Yellow Transportation and Roadway Express) into one operating subsidiary of YRCWorldwide to become known as Yellow-Roadway...

MERGER: A combining of two or more companies into one...

Apparently some people, here and elsewhere, seem to think that this is an ACQUISITION... It is not... Yellow Corp. (a corporation with several operating subsidiaries that included Yellow Transportation) acquired Roadway Corp. (a corporation with several operating subsidiaries that included Roadway Express) in 2003. The acquisition pared the 2 corporations together and was renamed Yellow-Roadway Corporation (YRC. later known as YRCWorldwide) with all operating subsidiaries, from both corporations, in tow...
(USFreightways was acquired later by YRC and is not a factor in this discussion)...
Yellow Transportation and Roadway Express have operated seperately, since 2003, as wholly owned subsidiaries of YRCWorldwide. Yellow Transportation operates in the same manner as Roadway Express operates, at the direction of YRCWorldwide.

You people out in left field need to understand that the corporate acquisition of 2003 is a non issue. The issue here is 2 like (similar) subsidiaries that were brought together under the same corporate umbrella as a result of the 2003 corporate acquisition are now to be combined into one operating subsidiary under the corporate umbrella known as YRCWorldwide by way of MERGER...

I'm not a betting man and you may not be interested in my opinion but I am of the opinion that the issue of seniority will be resolved by dovetailling the boards together...

Now a bit of trivia that really convolutes everything... In 1994, ABCorporation (the parent corp. of ABF Freight Systems) bought most all interest in CaroTrans. (the parent corp. of Carolina Freight Carriers). This was an outright acquisition and the two like (similar) subsidiaries (ABF Freight Systems and Carolina Freight Carriers) were combined immediately. If I'm not mistaken, the pro argument was that the two like subsidiaries were merged at the same time of the corporate acquistion...
The seniority lists for both subsidiaries were dovetailed and many ABF people were livid because they were under the impression that since ABCorp. had bought CaroTrans. that the Carolina people should have been endtailed or just outright terminated and rehired as needed...

There have been many acquisitions and mergers made in the freight industry. As of now, with the legend NMFA signatory freight companies, ABF is the only survivor of this process...

All I can tell each of you is hold on and see what tomorrow brings... The process will take some time. There is no need to speculate or worry about it until the writing is on the wall and we have an idea of which direction this will take... And most importantly, there's no need to spar, punch and jab at one another in this matter. We're all in the same boat.

Yellow Corp. owned Yellow Freight. Yellow Corp. bought Roadway and then changed the name to YRC. Then Yellow changed it's name to Yellow Transportation. Not sure if that means end tail.

kennesaw kid have u heard any time frame on when we will know if it is a dove-tail or a in-tail. I saw what you said but with yellow until it's in black and white you don't know what they will do.

As I mentioned in the Roadway Forum earlier...

The Yellow company blurb I just read stated it would be dove tail, unless local agreements dictated otherwise.

not what I hear it will be one for one ,number for number example two terminals combine the number one guy from yellow is first next would be the number one guy from roadway number 2 guy from yellow is next so that would make him 3 on the roster then would come the number two guy from roadway he would be number 4 not a true dovetail not a endtail either that word is out there

not what I hear it will be one for one ,number for number example two terminals combine the number one guy from yellow is first next would be the number one guy from roadway number 2 guy from yellow is next so that would make him 3 on the roster then would come the number two guy from roadway he would be number 4 not a true dovetail not a endtail either that word is out there

That would be a violation of seniority to allow a junior man to go in front of a senior man