XPO | Oh boy, now things will get really interesting

Con-way will be stripped of its valuable assets. XPO doesnt want conway. They are an asset light company. Menlo is the crown jewel they wanted because of all the govt contracts. Conway is like the hot chick you are shacking up with but you have to adopt the bastard kid she has too

But he is running an LTL in Europe. And mentions that he needs a similar fleet in North America to handle all those on-line orders. Problem is going to be after a few weeks of delivering dressers and couches, how many of us will still be standing ? When I was a younger man I worked in the beverage industry. I am not a young man any more. Which is why I work here now.

How did they give you guys the news? One of your city drivers in my area told me that he just received a mass text message about it. Was there no meeting or memo or some more official type of announcement? Just curious.

How did they give you guys the news? One of your city drivers in my area told me that he just received a mass text message about it. Was there no meeting or memo or some more official type of announcement? Just curious.
Lol... I found out online. Was checking the markets, saw the blurb come across. Went to the xpo website, sure enough, there it was!

The article I read was published at 1728. I was reading it at 1745. Started mass mailing. And people threw it up on their Facebook walls. By time they had the meeting the next morning. We knew more than they did.

Lol... I found out online. Was checking the markets, saw the blurb come across. Went to the xpo website, sure enough, there it was!

These apps make it so easy to get info. Have screen alerts and so on. It's a bit weird when you look to check it, and this time..... IT'S YOU !

The article I read was published at 1728. I was reading it at 1745. Started mass mailing. And people threw it up on their Facebook walls. By time they had the meeting the next morning. We knew more than they did.
Probably safe to say the news he received via mass text originated from you then! Sucks the company didn't give you a heads up first. Truckingboards helped spread the word to the rest of us before some employees even knew. That ain't right.

Probably safe to say the news he received via mass text originated from you then! Sucks the company didn't give you a heads up first. Truckingboards helped spread the word to the rest of us before some employees even knew. That ain't right.

Wouldn't say it came from me. We were all talking about it and as I was loading and sending everyone else was doing the same. Social media has made it impossible to keep a secret. One person knows. Everybody knows.

I read it here right before I went in Wednesday night. The news was out when I got in, but don't know how others got the news.

I have no idea what might happen next.

But , don't you think that the first LTL company to try the FedEx Ground business model would be FedEx Freight?

Not a company that has zero experience , or deep knowledge about the ins and outs of non-company drivers doing routes with pups with HARD deadlines.

I'll go out on a limb and say if an LTL company ever goes to an owner/operator model , a purchase your route model , it will be a company ( THE company ) that's had the most success so far doing this: FedEx.

But like most that are commenting , I have no idea.

You might want to look at who just bought con-way. A company with NO LTL EXPERIENCE.

Obviously no one knows what will happen. You guys have made a lot of good points on this thread. In theory the customers will pay more for better service which 3PL can't deliver (supposedly). It would be quite a challenge for XPO to go from non-asset to asset heavy.
On a side note, does anyone have any idea about what will happen to Road Systems?

That is the question of the day. No mention of them anywhere.

I think with the 33ft trailers - if a Democrat wins the Presidency , then I think it won't happen. ( I'm guessing big labor would be against 33ft trailers - less drivers , and Dems would back them ) if a Republican wins the Presidency , we'll see 33ft trailers ( 33ft'ers allow less drivers to haul more freight - pro investors/shareholders/Republican lobbyist )

33 ft trailers sound good. But you will run into a weight problem. 10 more foot of trailer is between 5 and 6 thousand pounds.

You might want to look at who just bought con-way. A company with NO LTL EXPERIENCE.
No LTL experience , but experience at buying companies in these situations. So , for better or worse , XPO is doing what they know. As far back as 2011 XPO has shown interest in parts of Con-way , so this is not unusual - XPO is sticking to who/what they know.

Wouldn't FedEx do the same , as far as sticking to what they know?

33 ft trailers sound good. But you will run into a weight problem. 10 more foot of trailer is between 5 and 6 thousand pounds.
I haven't really looked at the proposed legislation , but from articles I've read , they want to keep the weights the same.
Here's an excerpt from one -

If approved by the Senate, the legislation also would permit use of twin 33-foot trailers and provide the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration with $572 billion. American Trucking Associations lauded its passage. It would also require a thorough study of the so-called 34-hour restart provision, the measure that would require two mandatory rest breaks for drivers operating between 1-5 a.m, a move that currently is on hold.
ATA claims use of twin 33-foot trailers would improve capacity and safety while not increasing truck weights.

-By John D. Schulz, Contributing Editor
June 19, 2015 Logistics Management

Last edited:
No LTL experience , but experience at buying companies in these situations. So , for better or worse , XPO is doing what they know. As far back as 2011 XPO has shown interest in parts of Con-way , so this is not unusual - XPO is sticking to who/what they know.

Wouldn't FedEx do the same , as far as sticking to what they know?

My point exactly, Menlo they know, LTL they don't know.