ODFL | Old Dominion Combo Driver

OD on OD

TB Lurker
Credits
Hey everyone, I've been offered a Combo driver position at the Greensboro Nc location. Can someone give me some insight on this position. Pay? Benefits? The manager said it would be a 7pm-5Am shift Tues-Sat which kind of bothers me. I do understand though that at good companies I will have to start on the bottom of the totem pole. Any ideas on how long it usually takes to possibly get a shift bid change? And also will I drive a lot as well or just mainly dockwork? Sorry so long but I need to make a decision by Wednesday. Please help

Chances are pretty good with those hours you'll be covering line haul runs(extra runs,illness, and vacations) most nights I don't think GBO is different from most breakbulk terminals you probably won't spend much time on a dock but unless there's a P/D opening you'll be running nights for a long time to come.Kenneth where are you??

Chances are pretty good with those hours you'll be covering line haul runs(extra runs,illness, and vacations) most nights I don't think GBO is different from most breakbulk terminals you probably won't spend much time on a dock but unless there's a P/D opening you'll be running nights for a long time to come.Kenneth where are you??
Ok thanks for the info but do you know how often shift bids are? I don't really mind being on nights. Tuesday-Sat is my main concern.

I'm not out of GBO but we do have members from there.I worked a Tues-Sat bid for quite awhile myself You'd have my sympathy

Hey everyone, I've been offered a Combo driver position at the Greensboro Nc location. Can someone give me some insight on this position. Pay? Benefits? The manager said it would be a 7pm-5Am shift Tues-Sat which kind of bothers me. I do understand though that at good companies I will have to start on the bottom of the totem pole. Any ideas on how long it usually takes to possibly get a shift bid change? And also will I drive a lot as well or just mainly dockwork? Sorry so long but I need to make a decision by Wednesday. Please help
Sorry!! just set down to scroll.:2437::lmao:..Those hour's you prob will be driving.GBO has hired alot of guy's over the past couple year's.The dock is going thru shift bid's now&linehaul start's there new bid's Sunday.If you have experience you should start out at a experience rate.They have alot of combo guy's.If freight is running good most of them stay busy driving if they want to.Combo is the best of both world's.They are easy on the combo guy's on dock.They will give you easy break load's.Because they can alway's pull you off fast to drive.Good Luck what ever you decided.Dock is not for everyone.But,it's a start.I'm not sure on starting rate's,etc.But,most info you can find of the benefit,pay section here on OD forum..Good Luck again.Hope see you around sometime.

Yes,Dean is correct.You will be working night's&weekend's for several year's before something good comes up.Got'a alot of new guy's.But,yes most of them do not want to work P&D.I've seen several experience guy's come on Combo.Stay for atleast a year&decide to go linehaul

Sorry!! just set down to scroll.:2437::lmao:..Those hour's you prob will be driving.GBO has hired alot of guy's over the past couple year's.The dock is going thru shift bid's now&linehaul start's there new bid's Sunday.If you have experience you should start out at a experience rate.They have alot of combo guy's.If freight is running good most of them stay busy driving if they want to.Combo is the best of both world's.They are easy on the combo guy's on dock.They will give you easy break load's.Because they can alway's pull you off fast to drive.Good Luck what ever you decided.Dock is not for everyone.But,it's a start.I'm not sure on starting rate's,etc.But,most info you can find of the benefit,pay section here on OD forum..Good Luck again.Hope see you around sometime.
Appreciate the information. So do you know if the combos are stuck on the same shift for years weeks months? Or is that something you don't know? I have a decent job right now and off at 4pm and off the weekends. That's why it's a hard decision. But I hear OD is a good company. I'm just scared to sacrifice my summers at 23 years old for I don't know how long.

Appreciate the information. So do you know if the combos are stuck on the same shift for years weeks months? Or is that something you don't know? I have a decent job right now and off at 4pm and off the weekends. That's why it's a hard decision. But I hear OD is a good company. I'm just scared to sacrifice my summers at 23 years old for I don't know how long.
Well,money is good.But,if you are already working Mon-thru Fri&off on weekend's you better stay where you at if you are happy.I've been here going 11 yrs next month.Start'd linehaul&went to combo a couple month's later.Was in City with in my year of being there.GBO has hired alot so I just don't see a new guy jumping in like that anymore.I work'd 15 yrs in the engraving/printing business&got pay'd very well&was exspect'd to work weekend's.So coming to OD wasn't that big of a deal..Big thing to remember is there is NO OVERTIME..Sad but it's the truth.Yes,you will be exspect'd to work atleast 50 hour's a week.So yes you really need to think about it.LTL is not for everyone.Does take a toll on family

Yea
Well,money is good.But,if you are already working Mon-thru Fri&off on weekend's you better stay where you at if you are happy.I've been here going 11 yrs next month.Start'd linehaul&went to combo a couple month's later.Was in City with in my year of being there.GBO has hired alot so I just don't see a new guy jumping in like that anymore.I work'd 15 yrs in the engraving/printing business&got pay'd very well&was exspect'd to work weekend's.So coming to OD wasn't that big of a deal..Big thing to remember is there is NO OVERTIME..Sad but it's the truth.Yes,you will be exspect'd to work atleast 50 hour's a week.So yes you really need to think about it.LTL is not for everyone.Does take a toll on family
yea I get about 40/year more will be better. On average how much do you think most drivers there make yearly? 40-50? 60-70/year etc

Yea

yea I get about 40/year more will be better. On average how much do you think most drivers there make yearly? 40-50? 60-70/year etc
1st year I would say $50,000.Just depend's on how much you want to work..Been there a couple year's&on top pay.You prob looking between $60,000 &up.We have road driver's making$100,000 plus.But,that's all they do.stay out month's at a time..Hard for me to say.I work Mon thru friday&alway's take a linehaul trip out on Sat or Sun if they have it.The biggest thing is the NO OT..I wasn't aware of that when I start'd.Just hard to find a job making $ 25 hour&getting big raises every year.I've just learn'd to deal with it

1st year I would say $50,000.Just depend's on how much you want to work..Been there a couple year's&on top pay.You prob looking between $60,000 &up.We have road driver's making$100,000 plus.But,that's all they do.stay out month's at a time..Hard for me to say.I work Mon thru friday&alway's take a linehaul trip out on Sat or Sun if they have it.The biggest thing is the NO OT..I wasn't aware of that when I start'd.Just hard to find a job making $ 25 hour&getting big raises every year.I've just learn'd to deal with it
Yea I know there hardly any trucking jobs with OT except UPS fedex unfortunately. I know those places are hard to get into. I'm young but I just have some big decisions to make. I definitely want to work for one of the best companies!

Yea I know there hardly any trucking jobs with OT except UPS fedex unfortunately. I know those places are hard to get into. I'm young but I just have some big decisions to make. I definitely want to work for one of the best companies!
OD is a great company.You have to make that decission.Good Luck in what ever you do..I like to give you the truth.Alot don't like it.But,I will tell it like it is..Love working at OD.But,there are thing's that could alway's be made better.Every where you go there will be neg&plus's.But, you are the one who has to decide what's best.I have day's every week that I ? myself what the hell was I thinking.:ranting2:.But,all in all OD is a great company to grow with&in the end you will have better'd yourself..Just tough starting out.But,you are young&have a long life ahead..Good luck!!

OD is a great company.You have to make that decission.Good Luck in what ever you do..I like to give you the truth.Alot don't like it.But,I will tell it like it is..Love working at OD.But,there are thing's that could alway's be made better.Every where you go there will be neg&plus's.But, you are the one who has to decide what's best.I have day's every week that I ? myself what the hell was I thinking.:ranting2:.But,all in all OD is a great company to grow with&in the end you will have better'd yourself..Just tough starting out.But,you are young&have a long life ahead..Good luck!!
Kenneth you don't know how much I appreciate all the information!! Thanks for taking the time out and answer all my questions!! Again thanks :17142:

It doesn't take staying out months at a time to make 100k... we got drivers with schedules running 5 days a week to GBO or Jacksonville out of Atlanta making 100k... Or run team, you can make 100k easy running team,out 5-6 days a week.