ODFL | Old Dominion Combo Driver

Ok that sounds great but I'd rather be home every night maybe p&d or combo. I have 1 year experience.

I've been driving for 10 years... Used to spend 5-6 weeks at a time out on the road. 5-6 days is a breeze. I don't know how many bag drivers GBO has but in the long run if you can put in 3-5 years not being home every night it's going to work very much out in your favor. At least you're going to be making a living worthy of being gone... I've earned lots less and been gone lots more. And after 5 years or so you'll most likely have a schedule and be home every day/night.

This is not necessarily OD specific, but the trick to getting overtime in trucking is finding a private fleet,usually one that does intrastate runs as well as OTR. The reason most carriers don't pay OT is due to the interstate trucking law.

I work for one, and I work part time at that..But any week I work over 40, I get paid overtime.

We don't even have a kronos machine..It's the honor system..Show up, do your work and go home and log your time honestly. And it is a multinational, multibillion dollar corporation that I work for.

I'll chime in here. I guess there's a certain level of autonomy with individual terminals in regard to policy. At HAR, drivers don't do dock work - P&D, combo, or linehaul. I was offered either combo or L/H out of trucking school. I took linehaul. Linehaul has more upside in regard to money and scheduling, but you have to pay your dues. I had to bag out for the first few months until I landed a bid run that gets me home every day. Combo would've gotten me home every day from the start, but I wanted to just drive and not deal with shippers / receivers. My short week of P&D experience during my training proved to me that I'm a L/H guy.

The nights take a little getting used to. I have a young family and we make it work. You gotta figure that you're making sacrifices. I get two days off a week - good enough for me. I make enough that my wife can be a stay at home mom.

Also, I'd love a Tues-Sat schedule! One day off a weekend, one day off during the week for doctor appointments or anything else that requires I mingle with the rest of society.

OD is the best trucking company to work for. Hands down. I could've picked from 1/2 dozen LTL companies out of trucking school. I chose OD. One and done for me. And consider this, I believe that OD has a no re-hire policy. Hopefully others will chime in about that. So if there is a no-rehire policy, make your decision wisely.

Ok thanks for the info waw. Do you know of a timeframe il be on combo tues-sat. My goal would be to be a p/d driver I have about 1year p/d experience.

Ok thanks for the info waw. Do you know of a timeframe il be on combo tues-sat. My goal would be to be a p/d driver I have about 1year p/d experience.
Waw doesn't work in Greensboro.Please stop feeding this man info that doesn't apply to the term he is looking at.All I can say is if you come in and bust your rear&show them you are interest'd in P&D then you will advance faster.When you do get into P&D it will be a afternoon Mon thru Friday.We do have some guy's that will be retire'g in a couple year's.They do have a Mon thru Fri Combo shift.But,they are prob all full.Hiring alot of guy's&driving school's are going on&there are several guy's from the dock that are training now to drive.So that fill's more Combo slot's.I know it is a hard decision.But,if you don't want to give up weekend's&working night shift's you better stay where you are at.It's not all about the money.

Greensboro is a big breakbulk.We have grown in employement over double since I have been there.We have over 200 linehaul driver's,P&D I would say around 60 driver's.Close to it.We are busting .Plan'd constuction for parking&office&floor space in the work's.We are growing faster than OD can keep up.Which is good.But,it's very scary to me...Just don't want to get this man's hope's up on a false statement..

Thanks again kenny I am starting to look at the "it's not about the money thing" now because I'm 23years old with a ten month old daughter and a wife that goes to wrk in the mornings. With that being said we will be crossing each other and honestly I don't think I'm ready for that yet. My interview is set for Wednesday. I'm thinking maybe I should tell Mr. Mizzel I'll hold until a Monday-Friday night shift combo comes up or even a daytime. Until then I think I may not accept the offer.

Thanks again kenny I am starting to look at the "it's not about the money thing" now because I'm 23years old with a ten month old daughter and a wife that goes to wrk in the mornings. With that being said we will be crossing each other and honestly I don't think I'm ready for that yet. My interview is set for Wednesday. I'm thinking maybe I should tell Mr. Mizzel I'll hold until a Monday-Friday night shift combo comes up or even a daytime. Until then I think I may not accept the offer.
Amen,I know where you coming from.Since out of High School I have work'd 6-7 day's a week from 1st to 2nd to 12 hour night shift's&3rd&back to 2nd then to OD.I'm now on day time.But,it's go in at 7-8 am&not off till 7-8pm that night after 10 yrs of being here over a period of over 25 yrs.I've set by& watch'd my oldest 23 now grow up&never at home&now my 13 yr old is the sameway.Yes,it's my fault.But,at the time it was the right thing to do.Support my family to keep my wife at home to look after the kid's.That's why I strongly push to the new,young guy's think about it hard.Yes,the money is good.But,look at the affect's it does to your family life.If the spouse is not dependent on you then fine.But,if they are&need you &wonder where you are at all the time then you really need to think very hard..Maybe when the little one grow's up a little then I would think about.But,please think hard.I stress!!!!!.....Again you are the one to make that decision.Don't know where you drive or who.But,Mon thru Friday&off by 4 pm&weekend's.If money wasn't the issue&would think twice...I've seen several older guy's who wait'd till there children were close to going to college&thing's were settled down.Then they decided to hit the road&make big money to support the kid's thru college..Good Luck!! I don't think no-one will be mad if you change your mind because of your family&that little one.Time goes by fast&they will be all grown up&you will wonder WOW!!!!!!

Kenneth - I was just about to respond saying to the OP that nobody can give him time frames. I thought I made it clear that terminals can do things differently, especially in regard to typical wait times for certain shifts or schedules to open up. Even then, nothing is certain. Terminals can grow or things can slow down. I did no such thing as feed the man inaccurate information. I prefaced my statements with "at HAR."

Kenneth - I was just about to respond saying to the OP that nobody can give him time frames. I thought I made it clear that terminals can do things differently, especially in regard to typical wait times for certain shifts or schedules to open up. Even then, nothing is certain. Terminals can grow or things can slow down. I did no such thing as feed the man inaccurate information. I prefaced my statements with "at HAR."
All Good..Sorry!!..Was on my phone when reading your comment.Mis-read.Sorry..Yes,every term is different.Just afraid that sometimes new guy's get mis-inform'd.You know how it is.If they all told the real truth about trucking you wouldn't have anyone working.lol.I believe they should know up front&let them make that decission.Yes,you can make some real money.But,it come's at a price..

All Good..Sorry!!..Was on my phone when reading your comment.Mis-read.Sorry..Yes,every term is different.Just afraid that sometimes new guy's get mis-inform'd.You know how it is.If they all told the real truth about trucking you wouldn't have anyone working.lol.I believe they should know up front&let them make that decission.Yes,you can make some real money.But,it come's at a price..
I thank you waw, and Kenny. Everyone that commented on this thread has made my decision way easier!!! Again thanks :1036316054::1036316054::1036316054: