Old Dominion Vs. Saia

Discussion in 'Old Dominion Freight Line' started by freighthauler97, Aug 25, 2017.

1. seabreeze

seabreeze Not Well Known Member, 60 Year Teamster Member

Think he was raised by Chinese, started him out on tooth pics.

2. wawtrucker

wawtrucker Well-Known Member

Unless if there's an opportunity to gain "instant seniority" at a new opening terminal, I don't think there's any real difference, save for the free health care after 10 years of service and the OT for P&D drivers that SAIA offers - which could be game changers for some.

Someone mentioned the "changing rules." You'll have that at any big company. SAIA, OD, FXF - they're all the same. Terminals will take on the personality of the managers. We're all just numbers, no matter what "family" we work for. Let's not forget these are all big corporations - not family businesses. Having said all that, I love my job, and am grateful to work for OD. I come to work and do my job, and they keep the lights on at my house. It's a great life.

3. BillyLo

BillyLo Service 2.0 OD Strong All Time Mastio Champion

My predictions.. We're hiring way too many drivers right now and they'll be wishing they went to Saia come this winter when things slow down leaving them work 2 days a week. OD does this every year, over hires and doesn't care about the mouths once things slows down. You're just a number and piece to get the job done at the time needed and thrown back on the street when the Congdons are done with you. Happens every year.

4. Songremainsthesame

Songremainsthesame Well-Known Member

Been on the extraboard 4 years now and haven't starved yet. Got concerned a few times but never starved.

icuicp and Freightsup like this.
  5. BillyLo

We had 4 guys leave the other year because of our hiring practices. No driver here even likes getting concerned if they'll have work or not. Believe me kid, you're just a number to the Congdons.

6. seabreeze

Billy's seniority will carry him thru till mowing season starts again, (being friends with the boss don't hurt)
    Ump has the most concern, grass don't grow in the winter, goats still need to be fed.

7. Ump

Ump Big Dave's and Billy Lo's love child.

I got enough aluminum cans to hold them over.

8. Songremainsthesame

Songremainsthesame Well-Known Member

Billy I sincerely hope it makes you feel good to belittle people by claiming superiority over them in skill and seniority in length of service by calling them junior or kid, because from the outside it's clear you are a bitter and unhappy man. Myself, I think it's sad and not even entertaining any longer.

9. BillyLo

We're truck drivers and not millennials, you've got guys who've driven for many years like me and ump then you kids come along and tell us we're wrong. All we're doing is just telling you how it is and nothing personal about it.

LTLIndentured likes this.
  10. Ump

I don't think my 12 years qualifies as many years. I got into this profession late in life. Easiest money I've ever made. Still learn something new everyday out here.

11. BillyLo

You come off as well experienced for a 12 year driver. You also deal with some of the worst weather in the country that would make many of those 40 year otr babies cry.

Ump likes this.
  12. Ump

Like I said before, I had good teachers. I was well past the age of "know it all" when I ventured into driving. I've got patients now that I wouldn't have had in my 20's.

As far as weather, every place has its pitfalls. Mine is wind, yours is ice. Six of one, half dozen of the other. My goal is to make it back home and try it again tomorrow. Can't do that if you're in the ditch because you're to hard headed to listen or take advice from someone.

BillyLo likes this.
  13. BillyLo

But what do we know??? Some like to learn the hard way.

Ump likes this.
  14. seabreeze

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, besides I already know everything!

Songremainsthesame and Ump like this.
  15. BIG R GUY

BIG R GUY Last, bag standing

Bet you can't mow a yard with 30 degree grades,and valleys without scalping it??? Billy can.

Songremainsthesame likes this.
  16. seabreeze

Well, I know almost, everything!
    I would give that job to Ump, one of his goats has 2 short legs, just for those kinda jobs.

17. Ump

Yeah.. We had to re-think the whole short legged goat thing. He did great going up hill, but once he turned around and started back down... Well let's just say gravity and centrifugal force took over. Poor little guy didn't stop rolling till he hit the dumpster at the bottom of the block. Good news is he hit so hard that all his legs are the same length. Bad news is the dumpster belonged to a local Jamaican restaurant. I'll leave the rest to your imagination!!

Big Dave likes this.
  18. seabreeze

Sure hate to hear about your tough luck, I guess he was not a zero turn goat, Billy will be heart broken when he hears
    the bad news.

19. Ump

Billy is okay.. I took him a bowl of stew.

seabreeze likes this.
  20. seabreeze

Ump, I guess if there is a good side to this, you can sell the aluminum cans now.

Ump likes this.