FedEx Freight | "On call"

FlyByWire

TB Lurker
Credits
Hey guys...

Im an OD linehaul driver... looking at making the switch to FXF as a P&D driver. Many of us over here are just about fed up with the way OD is run, and how we are paid (NO ot...)

Wondering what your personal expereance with 'new hires' at FXF is... I have heard everything from working on call for a year, to getting 50 hours right off the bat.. Of course it all depends on how freight is, I understand that obviously...

I want to be with a company that supports its drivers, but not sure that I want to go union (layoffs!!)...

Does FXF allow drivers to work the dock if freight is slow?

From what I have seen, it totally depends on the center. There is no "on call" where I am. We have approx 40 city drivers and 18 line drivers. Of course there is no gaurentee of 40 hrs, but they do try to be fair. Here, you bid on shifts, and that is when you start everyday. When you go home depends on the work load. Line drivers here can work the morning dock if you are cancelled. Check with the center where you are thinking about applying. Good luck!

As you can tell I don't work for Fed Ex. but I have friends who do and they tell me that they are cut out at eight hours in the P&D operation. They stagger their start times to allow their early am drivers to cut out on their eight before the OT kicks in.

I know a Fedex freight P&D driver in my town.

He told me Fedex started paying time.and a half after 8 but than they hired enough other P&D drivers that he rarely sees any over time.
He works 8 hours and goes home.

Sometimes in the winter months with bad weather he may get a lttle O.T.,in good weather forget it.

He said it was better the old way.
But who can argue with big business?

FlyByWire said:
Hey guys...

Im an OD linehaul driver... looking at making the switch to FXF as a P&D driver. Many of us over here are just about fed up with the way OD is run, and how we are paid (NO ot...)

Wondering what your personal expereance with 'new hires' at FXF is... I have heard everything from working on call for a year, to getting 50 hours right off the bat.. Of course it all depends on how freight is, I understand that obviously...

I want to be with a company that supports its drivers, but not sure that I want to go union (layoffs!!)...

Does FXF allow drivers to work the dock if freight is slow?
Sorry to hear things arent working out for you at OD. Climb aboard. It really depends on the center where you work. If you live in a large city and work at a hub for example you would most likely start on an afternoon shift and start out doing swaps and some pick ups. Depending on how much freight there is to pick up you might (most likely would ) have to work the dock the latter part of your shift to get your hours. No hours are guaranteed but the longer you work there the better it will get. Not sure of how it works at smaller centers but they might start new drivers on earlier shifts. I can tell you it is a good company to work for if you dont mind starting off at the bottom again, thats the tough part. Once you make it through the first couple years and get some seniority, it gets better. Good luck sir, I hope it works out for you.

Im a city driver and depending on the route, and freight load, I get 4 to 5 hrs OT a week, sometimes more, sometimes less....I love my job, and it is the best ltl job Ive had. Somedays, all I want is 8 hrs...maybe less.....Ive started over 4 times, and I dont regret it a bit.....if I dont like it, Im movin' on.....loyalty to a company doesnt exist in my book, except for Fedex, been there done that.....

Ain't happening

Companyman said:
As you can tell I don't work for Fed Ex. but I have friends who do and they tell me that they are cut out at eight hours in the P&D operation. They stagger their start times to allow their early am drivers to cut out on their eight before the OT kicks in.
Anyone that knows anything about P&D and overtime, knows that it is virtually impossible to manage OT. Our service standards do not allow for a driver to be "cut out" at 8. If they are done for the day then they are done. In Savannah Ga and I believe most centers, the guys bid on start times.Obviously the earlier start, the better the chance of making OT. Our guys average about 6.5 hours/weekly OT.

I worked P&D for seven years and I know all too well how there is no quitting time until you are finished, but the Fed local driver I spoke with has been there for 16years told me last week that their local guys are held to zero to very little OT,He starts at 5:00am and is off the clock by 1:30pm, their TM and dispatch has their start times and routes staggered to make this 8 hr. day happen. But I've been around long enough to know each terminal is different. I admire FedEx and they would be my first stop if AE ever shuts the doors!!!!!!!!!!!

The company is constantly growing and we need good drivers like you guys .

Where?

Companyman said:
I worked P&D for seven years and I know all too well how there is no quitting time until you are finished, but the Fed local driver I spoke with has been there for 16years told me last week that their local guys are held to zero to very little OT,He starts at 5:00am and is off the clock by 1:30pm, their TM and dispatch has their start times and routes staggered to make this 8 hr. day happen. But I've been around long enough to know each terminal is different. I admire FedEx and they would be my first stop if AE ever shuts the doors!!!!!!!!!!!
What center location is your friend at? I can have the percentage of overtime they run daily,weekly etc. in a couple of days. Any CCM that has figured out how to eleminate OT would be traveling the system training everyone, and getting a BIG fat bonus for figuring it out.

Be Better Off To Stay Where You Are Cause You Get Hired At Fedex When The Winter Time Comes You Will Be The First One To Sit At Home When The Work Gets Slow And It Will Be That Way Until You Climb Up The Board.if You Read About Some Of The Things The Estes Saia Od Drivers Are Writing They Are All Being Treated The Same Way,but You Make Your Choice On Where You Want To Work. Good Luck

10 speed said:
Be Better Off To Stay Where You Are Cause You Get Hired At FedEx When The Winter Time Comes You Will Be The First One To Sit At Home When The Work Gets Slow And It Will Be That Way Until You Climb Up The Board.

But if you stay where you are nothing changes. Getting a decent run, as well as how long it takes you to move up depends on the center. It may take you several years just to get on as a road driver in a hub where day runs exist. But in certain centers you may find yourself in better situation in a much shorter time period. I hate to say it but it definitely is "location location location".

Man Ive jumped several times, and yes, winter may leave you a little short, but you have to look at the overall picture....they told us today that Fedex is # 2 now under Roadway-yellow-usf.....go figure....3 against one....its just a matter of time before were #1....by ourselves.....gotta look at the long term......Id rather have a slow week at Fedex than a good week at another carrier. Fedex is not going nowhere but up....getting better every day, sure you may not get rich....but its a helluva lot better here than other places Ive been.....and the thing is....Ive got a friend in every ltl company in town, and they all complain about things I never go through at Fedex, its either not enough time, too much time, no OT, equipment sucks, mgmt sucks....peddles too long, too many bills, making all the pickups.....and I just smile and say....too bad.....I love my job, and all my friends know that I wouldnt be a company man unless it was really true....Ive bellyached with the best of them, but now, I have no reason too......

10 speed said:
Be Better Off To Stay Where You Are Cause You Get Hired At Fedex When The Winter Time Comes You Will Be The First One To Sit At Home When The Work Gets Slow And It Will Be That Way Until You Climb Up The Board.if You Read About Some Of The Things The Estes Saia Od Drivers Are Writing They Are All Being Treated The Same Way,but You Make Your Choice On Where You Want To Work. Good Luck
It depends on the center you work at, we havent slowed down in the winter for a couple of years now. Down here in the south we are hitting summer numbers in Dec. and Jan.its hard to even get a day off when we want one.

Same in Savannah Ga.

Grizzly said:
It depends on the center you work at, we havent slowed down in the winter for a couple of years now. Down here in the south we are hitting summer numbers in Dec. and Jan.its hard to even get a day off when we want one.
I haven't had but 4 days off in the winter in 13 years on the road with AFedEx. And about that many due to hurricanes.