SAIA | onboard computers

Demolitionman

TB Veteran
Credits
anyone else seen the trucks with the computer screens hanging off the dash? ATL shop is installing them in their pool of trucks. a driver with one said they are for automated logbooks. i wonder if they will also be able to used for easier bill input for city drivers, and dispatching for us l/h drivers.

Hey Demolitionman!If those units are from PeopleNet I've been using them at OD since August,they're pretty capable units,and the E-log feature is the best thing since the 5th wheel,we don't use them for p/d billing but city drivers performance is monitored by them.Line haul dispatch is done through the computers and I can tell you its much better than than sitting on hold waiting for dispatch to answer the phone after they forgot to put your info on the IVR.If these are the same units from PeopleNet PM me and I'll try and answer any questions you have about these computers.

we had 06641 at our barn a couple months ago,i belive it was a nashville tractor.it had some sort of computer screen and it had a little white ball on top of the roof of the tractor...it wasnt people net

anyone else seen the trucks with the computer screens hanging off the dash? ATL shop is installing them in their pool of trucks. a driver with one said they are for automated logbooks. i wonder if they will also be able to used for easier bill input for city drivers, and dispatching for us l/h drivers.

You know ATL is the proving ground for the latest and greatest bit o' mischief that the EyeTee people come up with.

So much for not participating in distracting the drivers. Kinda like the nextel and cell phones.

we had 06641 at our barn a couple months ago,i belive it was a nashville tractor.it had some sort of computer screen and it had a little white ball on top of the roof of the tractor...it wasnt people net

Uh oh, that is a satellite transponder. It smells like some sorta qualcomm deal like what some of the truckload carriers have.

If the law passes by sometime in 2012 everyone will be required by the FMCSA to go to electronic logs.As of now I don't believe that it has passed .There are several different computers that do different things depending what the company wants. Two of them are People Net and Qualcom.The round white ball an top of the tractor is the antenna.

the ones with the black disc are some kind of fuel milage system monitor thing we have an 08 out of nsh at our place and the screen looks like it has been punched and busted it makes a sound like a phone ringing if you fall off a hill too fast or if you dont shift at the right time but if its a white dome its qualcom man this place will freak out if we cant make those little adjustments to our log book from time to time let alone the fact that more than likely in 2012 we will be going back to the 10hr rule lol

Air-Ride said:
If the law passes by sometime in 2012 everyone will be required by the FMCSA to go to electronic logs.As of now I don't believe that it has passed .There are several different computers that do different things depending what the company wants. Two of them are People Net and Qualcom.The round white ball an top of the tractor is the antenna.

That round ball communicates with satellites so your never out of range.

What are they going to do when they dispatch you on a run that takes 11.5 hrs. No more showing breaks that you didn't take. Central will not like the new toy!!!

there was an email circulated around central 2 years ago that came from near the top. the email simply stated they cannot dispatch you with the expectation of you going over your 14 or 11. if you don't want to do the run that will cause you to do that, be sure and remind them of that.

there was an email circulated around central 2 years ago that came from near the top. the email simply stated they cannot dispatch you with the expectation of you going over your 14 or 11. if you don't want to do the run that will cause you to do that, be sure and remind them of that.
That's the official policy. Our ability to use smoke and mirrors will be greatly diminished if this EOBR thing takes hold. We had an ATL truck in DLS last week with the new doodads in it. That keyboard looks like a nice place to hang a jacket, or a garbage sack or......

I'm sure before it's all said and done we will work out field solutions to these nasty problems of hours of service.