Yellow | Open Letter to YRC Freight Drivers

Kennesaw Kid

TB Legend
Super Moderator
PREMIUM
Credits
Open Letter to YRC Freight Drivers

4/8/2013

I will make this statement as my own opinion, if it disturbs you enough to be mad at me, then you are part of the problem, and it is time you became part of the solution.

This past week at ATL/402, we lost a 36 year Road Driver to a heart attack. After being way over due for his arrival, the Dispatcher started calling him and did not get an answer. He then got in touch with Police who started checking along I-75 for his truck.

He was found around the 147 mile marker south of Macon, GA.

What disturbs me; no what pisses me off the most about this is the driver sat on the side of I-75 for approximately nine (9) hours and not one driver stopped to even check on him. Nine hours Brothers and Sisters, that is unacceptable!

What has become of us as drivers these days?

That was a Brother Teamster who died on the side of the road. Have we become so unconcerned for one another these days?

I have many questions to ask of this, because I am still stunned and pissed that this happened at 402. It does not matter if you are an ex-Roadway or ex-Yellow employee. What matters is that was a Teamster Brother on the side of the road. When I started here 25 years ago today, it was an un-written rule to not only check on your own Company driver, but drivers from ABF, CF, Jones, etc. We should be looking out for our Teamster Brothers and Sisters, as well as other drivers on the road.

Many times I have stopped to check on a 402 driver, only to have him pull away as I stopped and walked all the way back to check on him. You could at least wave me own or contacted me that all was well.

How inconsiderate of you to do that after another driver took the time to check on you. At least have the decency to remain there until a driver gets back to you before taking off.

It does not matter where you came from, the fact you do not like the driver or you are in too big of a hurry to get in to get back out on a call-block……some day YOU may be the one sitting on the road sick, cell phone does not work, the battery is dead, engine will not run and you have no heat or a/c. But most of all, we have to look out for each other, even if the other person does not want to be bothered, who knows, your act of attention make win him/her over……But check on them just the same.

What happened last week is a tragedy for the driver and his family. The indignity for a 36 year Teamster to be locked up in a truck with motor off for nearly 9 hours and MANY 402 drivers reported seeing it parked there (I would be ashamed to even mentioned that I saw it, as my response would have been something I could not print here!) and passed it on by, some even twice, but did not even think to check it out or call it in.

We need to quit worrying if we are going to make a trip. We need to quit worrying if we are going to make a call-block. We need to get over all of this worry and hate over any issues you may have with this Company….we are still here and getting our paycheck. Don’t let all this consume you to where you forget what we as Teamster drivers are suppose to be about. We are considered to be a cut above the rest, but stupid, inconsiderate in-actions like what happened last Friday are unacceptable to me as a Teamster driver……no excuses…..don’t even bother trying to give one.

We have to be a better Teamster Brother and Sister than this!

Fraternally,

Jimi Richards
"Kennesaw Kid"
402 Linehaul Driver.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reality : Things change and not for the better all the time. While I totally agree with your post, the reality is the inner damage to Teamster job moral and weakened faith in our Leaders, not to mention the questioned committment to each other as brothers /sisters this type of thing shall continue unfortuantely. Truth is the way we should act and the Reality of how we actually do is more often than not two totally different things. Condolences & God Bless the family for thier loss. And I sincerely hope we improve as not only Teamsters but as Human Beings as well.
Love Your Brother/Sister Unconditionally its the only way to prosper.

I see this all the time. While on my city route, I see drivers broke down coming up 75 or 285 and I stop to see if they need bottle water or something. This is the new world of truck driving. OTR drivers are found dead in truckstops all the time and its sad no one knows. I hate drivers have to go this way. I hate even more all those YRC drivers passed him by and never stopped to check on him. It only takes a few minuets to stop and a few more to get back on the road.

Jimi you are right. There have been several times when I have been broke down and nobody has stopped. With everyone having cell phones, we just assume help is on the way. Add to that nobody is running CB's, we can't hollar to check to them.

Why did the dispatcher wait so long to get things going to find him?? Did he ask inbound drivers if they saw him?? Not blaming the dispatcher entirely, there is plenty of blame to go around, but could have this been avoided or discovered sooner? YES!

4/8/2013

I will make this statement as my own opinion, if it disturbs you enough to be mad at me, then you are part of the problem, and it is time you became part of the solution.

This past week at ATL/402, we lost a 36 year Road Driver to a heart attack. After being way over due for his arrival, the Dispatcher started calling him and did not get an answer. He then got in touch with Police who started checking along I-75 for his truck.

What disturbs me; no what pisses me off the most about this is the driver sat on the side of I-75 for approximately nine (9) hours and not one driver stopped to even check on him. Nine hours Brothers and Sisters, that is unacceptable!

That was a Brother Teamster who died on the side of the road. Have we become so unconcerned for one another these days?

I have many questions to ask of this, because I am still stunned and pissed that this happened at 402. It does not matter if you are an ex-Roadway or ex-Yellow employee. What matters is that was a Teamster Brother on the side of the road. When I started here 25 years ago today, it was an un-written rule to not only check on your own Company driver, but drivers from ABF, CF, Jones, etc. We should be looking out for our Teamster Brothers and Sisters, as well as other drivers on the road.

Many times I have stopped to check on a 402 driver, only to have him pull away as I stopped and walked all the way back to check on him. You could at least wave me own or contacted me that all was well.

How inconsiderate of you to do that after another driver took the time to check on you. At least have the decency to remain there until a driver gets back to you before taking off.

It does not matter where you came from, the fact you do not like the driver or you are in too big of a hurry to get in to get back out on a call-block……some day YOU may be the one sitting on the road sick, cell phone does not work, the battery is dead, engine will not run and you have no heat or a/c. But most of all, we have to look out for each other, even if the other person does not want to be bothered, who knows, your act of attention make win him/her over……But check on them just the same.

What happened last week is a tragedy for the driver and his family. The indignity for a 36 year Teamster to be locked up in a truck with motor off for nearly 9 hours and MANY 402 drivers reported seeing it parked there (I would be ashamed to even mentioned that I saw it, as my response would have been something I could not print here!) and passed it on by, some even twice, but did not even think to check it out or call it in.

We need to quit worrying if we are going to make a trip. We need to quit worrying if we are going to make a call-block. We need to get over all of this worry and hate over any issues you may have with this Company….we are still here and getting our paycheck. Don’t let all this consume you to where you forget what we as Teamster drivers are suppose to be about. We are considered to be a cut above the rest, but stupid, inconsiderate in-actions like what happened last Friday are unacceptable to me as a Teamster driver……no excuses…..don’t even bother trying to give one.

Fraternally,

Jimi Richards
"Kennesaw Kid"
402 Linehaul Driver.
Sad..... I'm surprised state police dident check on him .....

Very sad state of this industry! Thoughts and prayers to his family,and his fellow brothers and sisters...

4/8/2013

Fraternally,

Jimi Richards
"Kennesaw Kid"
402 Linehaul Driver.

Well said. I used to stop and check, especially when it just wasn't a normal place to stop.

I was running road board when slow to 211 from 152 recently. a YRC guy was on side of road broke down I pulled over and checked on him he was running 135 to Cincinnati. He was thrilled I stopped and he was OK . He blew a water pump on the tractor and had been waiting 2 hrs for a vendor to show. If you can stop check you never know?

condolences to the family ..... Cell phones are not the answer boys and girls - Very few of us run a CB , but it works where there is no cell service for one thing .And that cell phone can't tell you what is RIGHT ahead , like ice , closed road etc.. It was a tool of the trade that was a must have .It still is as far as I'm concerned .

First off, my condolences to this mans family....The loss of life, any life is a tragedy.

KK,
I don't mean to derail your thread but, I gotta ask....Is this the new mind set, morals if you will of the common American now days?

Not only have I driven trucks a good part of my life having grown up in the industry, I've also ridden motorcycles and along with truckers, bikers have also had an "unwritten code" that ya stop, even if ya can't help, ya stop anyways, you could be next.

The reason I ask is because as a young man, there seamed to be a sense of...We're all in this life together and if we can reach out a helping hand to a brother in need, we as a whole benefit. Nowadays, to me anyways, I get a sense of...It's all about me, I'm gona get mine and if I gotta step on your neck to get it...so be it. Is this just me or do others see the same thing happening, this changing in our morals?

First off, my condolences to this mans family....The loss of life, any life is a tragedy.

KK,
I don't mean to derail your thread but, I gotta ask....Is this the new mind set, morals if you will of the common American now days?

Not only have I driven trucks a good part of my life having grown up in the industry, I've also ridden motorcycles and along with truckers, bikers have also had an "unwritten code" that ya stop, even if ya can't help, ya stop anyways, you could be next.

The reason I ask is because as a young man, there seamed to be a sense of...We're all in this life together and if we can reach out a helping hand to a brother in need, we as a whole benefit. Nowadays, to me anyways, I get a sense of...It's all about me, I'm gona get mine and if I gotta step on your neck to get it...so be it. Is this just me or do others see the same thing happening, this changing in our morals?

This is a sad commentary on how people have come to behave in the past few decades and it's getting worse. Manners, civility, respect and concern for others have fallen by the wayside in these "me first" times we're living in. Very, very sad. Much more so for those of us who grew up and lived in better times.

This is sad. Heard about this when I got in Saturday and couldn't believe it. Teamster or not, why wouldn't someone at least ask the guy if he needed help. Is this what our country and moral values are becoming! Just remember what goes around comes around.

That is why I retired the me first attitude of today's drivers.Most would run over the person that is running ahead of them ,just to get on the board faster.Unless you are in there cell phone bunch most and I said most won't talk to you let alone stop.In the past 40 years I have seen the drivers change big time.Before I retired I was ran a cb. In my barn I was one of the only drivers still running a CB.I asked other drivers why they stopped answer it took to long to hook up.I once had a brake catch fire used all my fire extinguisher Had 4 yrc trucks pass was waving my arms and not even a brake light.These are the new age drivers sorry got to say it MEESTERS.

4/8/2013

Fraternally,

Jimi Richards
"Kennesaw Kid"
402 Linehaul Driver.

I noticed things changed about the time drivers got cell phones, then tracking devices on their units.
I had fewer drivers give me the lights when I needed to move back to the right.
Fewer drivers blinked back when I flashed my headlights for clearance for them to move over.
Fewer drivers waved on the two lane, or let me know something of concern was ahead.
Truckstops became sterile and fewer drivers hung out inside.
Most were content in their comfortable accommodations, uninterested in swapping stories.

I am not making excuses for anyone, but this is indeed a sad reflection of what we have become, in addition to the effects of random acts of violence and the fear it has produced.

There have been many strangers that have come to my aid in the past while on the road. I believe I have tried to carry on that tradition, but I know I can do better.

I can only continue to try.

had a brother have a massive attack on the dock while driving a forklift a few months back and people thought he was sleeping before someone actually checked on him. Those few minutes earlier could have save that brothers life but its the if it doesn't effect me why bother attitude. Sadly it is what we become......" Make a difference make a change it could save someones life""