Yellow | Open Letter to YRC Freight Drivers

Not to belittle the issue or the drivers.We have drivers that don't stop for nothing.All they see is that almighty dollar dangling in front of them.Or a bottle of alcohol.Its so true.Yes our faith in the union in general has been diminished.That doesn't mean we can't stop and help a driver.Sorry to read about that driver's death.

You hit the nail on the head KK. There is no excuse for that.It doesn't matter if it was 1960 or 2013, what leadership we had or still have. We as Teamsters are the Union period! Brothers and Sisters
would anyone bypass their (family) Brother or Sister broke down on the side of the road? If you would you are a scumbag. If you as a member do the same then I would suggest you re-access your oath. Fix it or get out. I don't need you or want you in my Union.
Sorry for your loss KK.

im very sorry for the loss.
that being said ,ive never claimed to be a driver but spend much time on the road im my car.
I have stopped 2 times in all my years to see if everything was ok and both times they were up to no good so I went on my way.
I drive 5 or 6 times a years from north Carolina to pa. then upstate ny. if I stopped every time I seen a yrc -roadway-yellow truck stopped along the road id never make a complete trip.
im not busting stones here just stating it how ive seen it .

Open Letter to YRC Freight Drivers

4/8/2013

I will make this statement as my own opinion, if it disturbs you enough to be mad at me, then you are part of the problem, and it is time you became part of the solution.

This past week at ATL/402, we lost a 36 year Road Driver to a heart attack. After being way over due for his arrival, the Dispatcher started calling him and did not get an answer. He then got in touch with Police who started checking along I-75 for his truck.

He was found around the 147 mile marker south of Macon, GA.

What disturbs me; no what pisses me off the most about this is the driver sat on the side of I-75 for approximately nine (9) hours and not one driver stopped to even check on him. Nine hours Brothers and Sisters, that is unacceptable!

What has become of us as drivers these days?

That was a Brother Teamster who died on the side of the road. Have we become so unconcerned for one another these days?

I have many questions to ask of this, because I am still stunned and pissed that this happened at 402. It does not matter if you are an ex-Roadway or ex-Yellow employee. What matters is that was a Teamster Brother on the side of the road. When I started here 25 years ago today, it was an un-written rule to not only check on your own Company driver, but drivers from ABF, CF, Jones, etc. We should be looking out for our Teamster Brothers and Sisters, as well as other drivers on the road.

Many times I have stopped to check on a 402 driver, only to have him pull away as I stopped and walked all the way back to check on him. You could at least wave me own or contacted me that all was well.

How inconsiderate of you to do that after another driver took the time to check on you. At least have the decency to remain there until a driver gets back to you before taking off.

It does not matter where you came from, the fact you do not like the driver or you are in too big of a hurry to get in to get back out on a call-block……some day YOU may be the one sitting on the road sick, cell phone does not work, the battery is dead, engine will not run and you have no heat or a/c. But most of all, we have to look out for each other, even if the other person does not want to be bothered, who knows, your act of attention make win him/her over……But check on them just the same.

What happened last week is a tragedy for the driver and his family. The indignity for a 36 year Teamster to be locked up in a truck with motor off for nearly 9 hours and MANY 402 drivers reported seeing it parked there (I would be ashamed to even mentioned that I saw it, as my response would have been something I could not print here!) and passed it on by, some even twice, but did not even think to check it out or call it in.

We need to quit worrying if we are going to make a trip. We need to quit worrying if we are going to make a call-block. We need to get over all of this worry and hate over any issues you may have with this Company….we are still here and getting our paycheck. Don’t let all this consume you to where you forget what we as Teamster drivers are suppose to be about. We are considered to be a cut above the rest, but stupid, inconsiderate in-actions like what happened last Friday are unacceptable to me as a Teamster driver……no excuses…..don’t even bother trying to give one.

We have to be a better Teamster Brother and Sister than this!

Fraternally,

Jimi Richards
"Kennesaw Kid"
402 Linehaul Driver.

Well written, and point made clearly. Truly a sad story. And just adds to the point I always make, Union Brother is dead. That's not to say there isn't good Brothers out there, there are! But the majority are ignorant, mindless, selfish, backstabbing jerks. Its really sad.

im very sorry for the loss.
that being said ,ive never claimed to be a driver but spend much time on the road im my car.
I have stopped 2 times in all my years to see if everything was ok and both times they were up to no good so I went on my way.
I drive 5 or 6 times a years from north Carolina to pa. then upstate ny. if I stopped every time I seen a yrc -roadway-yellow truck stopped along the road id never make a complete trip.
im not busting stones here just stating it how ive seen it .

If a truck is on an off/on ramp, I don't stop. But if on the shoulder, I always stop.

I don't care about the YRC guys, they don't care about me.

If a truck is on an off/on ramp, I don't stop. But if on the shoulder, I always stop.

As an ABF driver I am embarrassed by this statement and disown any association with it.

I know that's not true Stoney..... I think you have more compassion than that.....

That's not to say there isn't good Brothers out there, there are! But the majority are ignorant, mindless, selfish, backstabbing jerks. Its really sad.

Even you say so..... You do count yourself as a Good Union Brother.....Rather than how you ascribe the Majority to be......

showing true colors I see ..
why should it matter what company truck is pulled over BROTHER.

showing true colors I see ..
why should it matter what company truck is pulled over BROTHER.

Why does it matter if its a union or non union company? You only stop for union companies?

If a YRC driver us flagging me down, then ya I'll stop. But if I stopped for every yrc on the side of the road or ramp, I'll never get any where.

Plus welcome to 2013. Everyone has a cell phone, and all the sleeper units have Qualcomm.

And I should stop for trucks on an on/off ramp? Really?

I know that's not true Stoney..... I think you have more compassion than that.....

Even you say so..... You do count yourself as a Good Union Brother.....Rather than how you ascribe the Majority to be......

In my experiences, most are, I stand by that remark.

I have plenty of compassion. If anyone flags me down, I stop. And I stop for no one on an on/off ramp. And only ABF's on the shoulders.
I've never had a YRC stop for me.
Now I gotta go, my load finally arrived!

Stoney, it looks to me as though KK is saying what you are saying. I am not familiar with I-75 but it sounds like the driver was on the side of the road, not at an exit. Now if I had to make an emergency stop there to relieve myself I'm sure Smokey the Bear would have been right on me writing a ticket but not this time. This is not a YRC on ABF issue, it is a driver on driver issue even worse, for those who work for the same company let alone union brothers. Myself, I would not treat any freight driver differently than any other. At times it can be hard to see past some things and do the right thing but we would all be better people if we did.

As for the question, "when was the last time a YRC driver stopped for you?", I haven't been in a situation where they could have so I can't say but I am confident they would not do me any better than they did one of their own drivers.

May the departed driver rest in peace.

How about this: if the hood is open, that is a distressed signal . Then it is ok to stop and check. However, this would not have helped the deceased driver in question.

How about this: if the hood is open, that is a distressed signal . Then it is ok to stop and check. However, this would not have helped the deceased driver in question.

A long time back a log book hanging out the drivers side window was a sign of a problem.

Open Letter to YRC Freight Drivers

4/8/2013

I will make this statement as my own opinion, if it disturbs you enough to be mad at me, then you are part of the problem, and it is time you became part of the solution.

This past week at ATL/402, we lost a 36 year Road Driver to a heart attack. After being way over due for his arrival, the Dispatcher started calling him and did not get an answer. He then got in touch with Police who started checking along I-75 for his truck.

He was found around the 147 mile marker south of Macon, GA.

What disturbs me; no what pisses me off the most about this is the driver sat on the side of I-75 for approximately nine (9) hours and not one driver stopped to even check on him. Nine hours Brothers and Sisters, that is unacceptable!

What has become of us as drivers these days?

That was a Brother Teamster who died on the side of the road. Have we become so unconcerned for one another these days?

I have many questions to ask of this, because I am still stunned and pissed that this happened at 402. It does not matter if you are an ex-Roadway or ex-Yellow employee. What matters is that was a Teamster Brother on the side of the road. When I started here 25 years ago today, it was an un-written rule to not only check on your own Company driver, but drivers from ABF, CF, Jones, etc. We should be looking out for our Teamster Brothers and Sisters, as well as other drivers on the road.

Many times I have stopped to check on a 402 driver, only to have him pull away as I stopped and walked all the way back to check on him. You could at least wave me own or contacted me that all was well.

How inconsiderate of you to do that after another driver took the time to check on you. At least have the decency to remain there until a driver gets back to you before taking off.

It does not matter where you came from, the fact you do not like the driver or you are in too big of a hurry to get in to get back out on a call-block……some day YOU may be the one sitting on the road sick, cell phone does not work, the battery is dead, engine will not run and you have no heat or a/c. But most of all, we have to look out for each other, even if the other person does not want to be bothered, who knows, your act of attention make win him/her over……But check on them just the same.

What happened last week is a tragedy for the driver and his family. The indignity for a 36 year Teamster to be locked up in a truck with motor off for nearly 9 hours and MANY 402 drivers reported seeing it parked there (I would be ashamed to even mentioned that I saw it, as my response would have been something I could not print here!) and passed it on by, some even twice, but did not even think to check it out or call it in.

We need to quit worrying if we are going to make a trip. We need to quit worrying if we are going to make a call-block. We need to get over all of this worry and hate over any issues you may have with this Company….we are still here and getting our paycheck. Don’t let all this consume you to where you forget what we as Teamster drivers are suppose to be about. We are considered to be a cut above the rest, but stupid, inconsiderate in-actions like what happened last Friday are unacceptable to me as a Teamster driver……no excuses…..don’t even bother trying to give one.

We have to be a better Teamster Brother and Sister than this!

Fraternally,

Jimi Richards
"Kennesaw Kid"
402 Linehaul Driver.

He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone J 8:7