TForce | our anti-union meeting is today,,,,

mud-flap

TB Lurker
Credits
from what the drivers say we may not have sick pay and we may have to be out sick '4' days no pay before the sick days start. Can anyone tell me the sick day policy for UPS as far as do we have to be off a few days with no pay before they start and if we do not use them do we get the weeks pay at the end of the year??

mud-flap said:
from what the drivers say we may not have sick pay and we may have to be out sick '4' days no pay before the sick days start. Can anyone tell me the sick day policy for UPS as far as do we have to be off a few days with no pay before they start and if we do not use them do we get the weeks pay at the end of the year??
If I remember correctly it is off 2 days to start getting paid on 3rd day with Doctors note. I could be wrong? If you do not use up to 5 sick days you will be paid only $50.00 per day back= $250.00 minus taxes. I have recently read a upsf letter that said, An updated policy may come out at a later date regarding Sick time, Vacation time, and Holidays as to match ups employees.

At UPS, at least in Central States, there are no sick days. We get an extra week of vacation (option week) that is in lieu of the sick days. The option week is paid at 25 hours for PT and 50 hours for FT.

We also have two option days, that may be taken with 8 days written notice to the Company.

Anything else as far as being sick would fall under disability, which I think kicks in on the 8th day.

I herd there wasn't going to be any sick pay at UPS Freight after the first of the year. Instead UPS Freight employees will get 5 personal days.(which will be sold as another week vacation)
The disibility insurance will start on the first day with an injury and with a sickness there is a four day waiting period.
I guess time will tell if this is true or not.

Well in the union ltl world,at least in the NE, but think its all over, we get 5 sick days that are paid as 8hrs for dock and yard guys. P&D gets 8 if your 5 days a week, 10hrs if your a 4 day(10hrs) man. Road gets 10. Sick days get paid after 1 day. So if your on the road, and you take a day off to go golfing and you want to get paid, book off sick for a day and get paid, no needing x amount of days off to get paid for one!

SOME ARE GETTING CONFUSED ON THE NEW MANDATORY DOCTORS NOTE ON THE FOURTH DAY OUT WE WILL STILL GET PAID AFTER TWO DAYS OFF. IT IS ATEMPT TO STOP US FROM TAKING THE FIVE DAYS OFF AT $21 FOR 8 HR($168) VS $50 PER DAY IN DEC MINUS TAXES. opps sorry for the caps.
top lazy to retype.:duh:

bunypnutdad said:
SOME ARE GETTING CONFUSED ON THE NEW MANDATORY DOCTORS NOTE ON THE FOURTH DAY OUT WE WILL STILL GET PAID AFTER TWO DAYS OFF. IT IS ATEMPT TO STOP US FROM TAKING THE FIVE DAYS OFF AT $21 FOR 8 HR($168) VS $50 PER DAY IN DEC MINUS TAXES. opps sorry for the caps.
Thats all good driver, you got your point across....

bunypnutdad said:
You still have to pay the taxes on $21 x 8 hours also.

In the freight barns I have worked at, the contract calls for 5 sicks days and 4 personal days. Sick days are 8 hours, while the personals are 10 hours. In all cases, we have always been allowed to submit in advance a request for those days off and get paid. If you are really sick, then a doctors note shouldn't be a problem and you still get paid your days from the first day off.
The benefits of a union contract ..... a total of 80 hours for sickness, golf or just a mental health day .... your choice. If you don't use them, you get them at the end of the year for the personals and in April for the sick days.

I do agree in that the NMFA contract is GOLDEN!!

This contract has become one of the best,if not the best contract out side of the auto union contracts.
As much as you Teamsters union promoters are sharing all of the benefits of working with your NMFA,you fail to see that if UPS Freight was to become organized in the Teamsters union.
They'd be brand new,and not intitled to anything in the NMFA without contract talks with our parent UPS,then that they would agree to allow us to enroll in that plan.
If they didn't agree to the whole plan,or even had sticking points on some issues,it could be a long drawn out procees till either the NMFA was to be used,or a lesser contract.
After all of that we'd have to vote on it for it to be excepted,and finaly signed by UPS.

All of you Teamsters are very blessed to have the NMFA that has been worked out over very many years for the great deal it is today.
But you all know as well as I, we wouldn't have any of it, unless UPS agrees,and signs us up?

Which we'll never know if we remain non-union.

As for me I don't want to take the chance that you all may be wrong about the benefits we may come into.

Apostolic said:
This contract has become one of the best,if not the best contract out side of the auto union contracts.
As much as you Teamsters union promoters are sharing all of the benefits of working with your NMFA,you fail to see that if UPS Freight was to become organized in the Teamsters union.
They'd be brand new,and not intitled to anything in the NMFA without contract talks with our parent UPS,then that they would agree to allow us to enroll in that plan.
If they didn't agree to the whole plan,or even had sticking points on some issues,it could be a long drawn out procees till either the NMFA was to be used,or a lesser contract.
After all of that we'd have to vote on it for it to be excepted,and finaly signed by UPS.

All of you Teamsters are very blessed to have the NMFA that has been worked out over very many years for the great deal it is today.
But you all know as well as I, we wouldn't have any of it, unless UPS agrees,and signs us up?

Which we'll never know if we remain non-union.

As for me I don't want to take the chance that you all may be wrong about the benefits we may come into.

Apostolic,

you are 100% correct. The NMFA is golden and is exactly what the union would be negotiating for you and your coworkers, and UPS knows this. The fact that you would be a "New" unionized workforce has nothing to do with your not getting everything other Teamsters get thoughout the country for LTL work.

Everytime our contract expires, we go through the same entire process of renegotiating a new contract. Without the renegotiation, we are not entitled to anything either, until ratified by the members and signed by the union and the employers. I don't see how it would be any different for UPSF to go through the negotiation process.

One other tidbit that is my personal opinion, I doubt that the Teamsters would want to deal with Leo or Gordon simply because we've been there, done that, and know that Leo and Gordon don't like to play by established rules of law. Personally, I think the Teamsters would more likely try to strike up the deal with UPS corporate directly.