Yellow | P&D Drivers, Hows your Customers?

Thats why we do what we do

I noticed alot of other carriers taking notice to the amount of freight I have on my peddle.

I got a hold of those YRC mini info booklets that I hand to customers with the DR. Last week I was on the receiving end of customer abuse complaining where their freight was. Not so bad this week as this transition smooths out.

Freight has been looking good not many exceptions which is a big key to keeping and obtaining new accounts. "Take care of the freight and the freight will take care of you". You dock guyz (freight handlers) thanks for making my job easier when delivering the freight to the customers damage free:thumbsup::highfive:

Last week everything I delivered was late, including Exact Express. This week, shipments are early, on time or a day late. I can't tell if we're busier now. We picked up new territory to the south and lost some to the north. I peddle the new southern area. I know this, theres of us there every day and we pretty much fill a 53' and a 48'

I will add this about freight levels. Before merger a typical Thursday morning inbound for us, 50 bills Yellow, 80 Roadway. Thursday morning this week, 160 bills inbound. I'm sure some of this volume is due to the backlog in breakbulks, BUT, less and less freight is late, as I said earlier.

Maybe...just maybe, we can work our way through this.

I had a pretty good day delivering today. Nine stops, three one day late, one two days late, four on time, one was one day early from Canada picked up Monday, delivered Thursday.

There is a huge improvement this week over last. Our TM said that we were 2 weeks ahead of schedule in regards to the integration. Freight is moving smoothly. Our inbound is steady and heavy. The drivers are turning out of the yard within an hour instead of hours like last week. We are able to string outbound sets for the incoming drivers and slip power as soon as they arrive.
There is still quite a bit of freight hung up due to the weather. It is making its way towards us and we should expect to see it tomorrow or Saturday.

There is a huge improvement this week over last. Our TM said that we were 2 weeks ahead of schedule in regards to the integration. Freight is moving smoothly. Our inbound is steady and heavy. The drivers are turning out of the yard within an hour instead of hours like last week. We are able to string outbound sets for the incoming drivers and slip power as soon as they arrive.
There is still quite a bit of freight hung up due to the weather. It is making its way towards us and we should expect to see it tomorrow or Saturday.

Something you said here, and I have read it elsewhere, also, is that, according to management, you are ahead of schedule regarding integration. This makes me believe that sales was out, in advance, preparing the customers to the problems that would temporarily occur.

Something you said here, and I have read it elsewhere, also, is that, according to management, you are ahead of schedule regarding integration. This makes me believe that sales was out, in advance, preparing the customers to the problems that would temporarily occur.

Funny you bring that up Larry, I heard that the sales teams were talking to customers ahead of time, telling them to work with us over this intergration period of 45-60 days, and give them a chance to get it under control and the kinks worked out.

Funny you bring that up Larry, I heard that the sales teams were talking to customers ahead of time, telling them to work with us over this intergration period of 45-60 days, and give them a chance to get it under control and the kinks worked out.

I was being facetious, of course they were, and anybody with room temperature IQ would realize this. And, although I appreciate the customer service attitudes of our p&d drives, I was the same way, I am humble enough to realize that the customers have light years more contact with the sales staff than with the drivers. In other words, it is through the sales staff that customer loyalty and satisfaction is maintained. Of course, if a driver is a jerk, that is going to have a detrimental effect on the account, and if the driver is courteous and helpful that will have a positive impact on the account. But, by and large, the sales staff and our products and services are what secure and keep accounts. That is a really hard concept to accept for a lot of posters here who think that nothing the company does is right.

Larry, I was prepping customers the minute we found out about the merger and had exact dates. Together with my sales rep we took about 6 months to slowly bring them along and help them understand that the disruption would be short lived and things would be back to normal 30to 45 days at the most. We had guarantees from them long before we threw the switch.

We did have a few customers bail on us because of the accounts that they supply. They just couldn't take a chance and that is fine with me. They will be back when the bugs are worked out. Business is business and we learned how loyal many of our customers are. I say many because there were damn few that wouldn't stick with us through all of this.

Here in Maine, there's a lot of places that I have some contact with the people that actually make the decisions. A large percentage of our O/B shipments are collect so they have little control over it. Quite a few of these are not given one carrier, but a list of two or more. We have had some luck with those.

I just got home, I had six stops, eight bills, four were a day late, three were on time and one was due Monday. Not bad I guess

i was p&d back in the day then i got old,and went to the road. You p&d guys are the front line for yrc i know how hard you work and i for one thank you.Keep up the good work and keep our customers informed and hang on to as many as you can ,this thing will smooth-out and get better if we all pull together, remember bail the water out of the boat not in. good luct guys

Good! That's the way it should have been the whole time. There are legitimate reasons for bring backs, but they should be challenged. Finger print freight is not considered legitimate!:biglaugh:
Our million miler brought back 3 today.
Poor boy had a 53' trailer. Should have heard him crying. Who needs backed up freight to pizz off the customer when this dolt will stand out in the street and demand cops come to stop traffic so he can back his wagon in!

Yeah, I've heard some complaints about peddleing with a 53'. There is a philisophical difference between Yellow and Roadway. The Roadway guys peddled with 53's all the time. We used them for trap freight and large stops. The Roadway managment took over Portland Me. We are now using 53's more for regular peddles. We have a driver who used to run a set every day to his area, now he see's a 53 quite often. He starts before me and I can tell if he has a 53' or not just by saying, "Good Morning" to him.
If he is happy, pup,
sort of grumpy, 45' or 48',
if he snaps or says nothing 53' poor guy.
Like everyone else, there's going to be an adjustment period.

Good! That's the way it should have been the whole time. There are legitimate reasons for bring backs, but they should be challenged. Finger print freight is not considered legitimate!:biglaugh:
I also need to add this.
When we miss a pick-up because of poor dispatching, the dispatchers need to be challenged by their boss. That puts some accountability on both drivers and dispatching. But, neither get challenged often enough.

Our million miler brought back 3 today.
Poor boy had a 53' trailer. Should have heard him crying. Who needs backed up freight to pizz off the customer when this dolt will stand out in the street and demand cops come to stop traffic so he can back his wagon in!
If he is like some of our guys, the 53' trailer wasn't the REAL issue. It was the hand freight that was the issue. The 53' trailer was just the excuse for that day. If he had a 48' trailer that day, he would have just pulled a different excuse out of his bag, to not make the delivery. I see it often around here.

Yeah, I've heard some complaints about peddleing with a 53'. There is a philisophical difference between Yellow and Roadway. The Roadway guys peddled with 53's all the time. We used them for trap freight and large stops. The Roadway managment took over Portland Me. We are now using 53's more for regular peddles. We have a driver who used to run a set every day to his area, now he see's a 53 quite often. He starts before me and I can tell if he has a 53' or not just by saying, "Good Morning" to him.
If he is happy, pup,
sort of grumpy, 45' or 48',
if he snaps or says nothing 53' poor guy.
Like everyone else, there's going to be an adjustment period.

Not a thing wrong with peddling out of a long box as long as it is feasible to do so. Nothing like having some genius wonder boy supervisor put a bunch of residentials on a route that is a "pup only" area.

I don't know how it was at the "big R" but we took the time to have all of the bills coded correctly with helpful information regarding the stop. This was accomplished with feed back from the drivers. Does it have a dock? Will you need a pallet jack? Do they have a forklift? Can you get a long trailer in there? What time do they close for lunch/day?

Not a thing wrong with peddling out of a long box as long as it is feasible to do so. Nothing like having some genius wonder boy supervisor put a bunch of residentials on a route that is a "pup only" area.

I don't know how it was at the "big R" but we took the time to have all of the bills coded correctly with helpful information regarding the stop. This was accomplished with feed back from the drivers. Does it have a dock? Will you need a pallet jack? Do they have a forklift? Can you get a long trailer in there? What time do they close for lunch/day?
Man that info would be useful. :clap: It would even stop the "It needs a pup" or "lift gate" or other such excuses for passing work off onto others. Right now, cry to the boss and the boss don't know and makes a change in routeing, by the time anyone can tell it like it really is, the idiot has left the barn. Had this happen this week, not crying about the work, but it impacted my servicing my customer properly. Idiot looks like a hero and I have to apoligize for running late. :nutkick:

Back when i was in p&d the dock supers knew which routs the long boxes were ok in (newer industral ) and where not to send them (the older part of town) i had no problem with long box in the right aera.

Back when i was in p&d the dock supers knew which routs the long boxes were ok in (newer industral ) and where not to send them (the older part of town) i had no problem with long box in the right aera.
This boy can't even get a pup in where everybody else gets 48's and 53's in.

Nice

This boy can't even get a pup in where everybody else gets 48's and 53's in.

Must be one of our guys nicknamed Ricky Lake cause he's always*****in all the time about "I can't get in there for that stop".

I will say a positive thing "someone gets kudos for the forward thinking". I need a 53' to handle it all. I came in on Monday had a 53" slammed full with 18 stops I was like:wtflol:. Looked at the bills and 9 stops were on 1 street and 4 were on another street. I said this aint that bad I felt like a UPS package truck driver everything so close:clap:

Got everything off took lunch called in at 3:15 got 2 volume pick ups and that was ball game for the day. Heading back to the barn I was thinking this might actually turn out to be a beautiful thing.

in okc the customers don't seem to care that we are merged. all they want is the same service that they are use to.