TForce | p&d drivers new rule

Apo, I've been there and done that, that is why I will never be middle management/lower management again.

I was making 40,000 a year in the mid 90's as a pm operations mgr for a Air Freight co while the rest of the drivers were making more. Not to mention I was in the hot seat and loading outbounds, ect...

But they can do what I did and go where the money is, I went back to driving and been here ever since.

BUT.....You get a cool title and get to meet the big-wigs when they are in town......YEAH!!!!!!!!! Sign me up!!!!!!!

You know greezy trucker this brings me to thinking of my young nephew.
He went to truck driving scool than got recruted by a truck load company.
He had to drive with a drivers trainer for awhile.
Than they gave him a brand new west coast condo,twin screw.
He was proud as could be to drive that great big shinny stretched out tractor,with a 53' trailer accross our great land.
But he finally wised up to the fact he had a really nice ride,and was getting paid scwat.
He went from company to company,each time the equipment was nice but they didn't pay very well.
He's still driving over the road,but he doesn't stay with any company very long.
When he gets a few years under his belt maybe he'll get hooked up with a good paying company and stay with them?

But as bad as we think we've got it.
We could be a lot worse off,most things in life is choices.

I say its better to have something steady,even if you've got to put up with some of their strange ways of doing business.

Like I have always said. No drivers on the dock. They have dock workers for this. cdl/dockworker program. I have never agreed with this. Dock workers do there job, Load/Unload Drivers do there job, Drive/P&D

Amen to that Busternite, Think I would faint at the thought of them telling me to unload/load a trailer.

So now the city drivers have delay wait time?

(Overnite this was told to us this morning, do not hit the clock until your trailer is ready.)

If we have to wait to clock in while the dock crew is closing out our route trailers we are giving up money in this wait time just like the road drivers.

(Overnite this was told to us this morning, do not hit the clock until your trailer is ready.)

If we have to wait to clock in while the dock crew is closing out our route trailers we are giving up money in this wait time just like the road drivers.

Welcome to our world, Now get off the dock and go wait by the clock!!!

On a more serious note, I would think that you clock in at your given start time. If your start time is 7:00AM You punch in at 7:00AM And if your trailer is not ready yet, Sit down and relax, On the clock! And stay off the dock!!

Only a few of us top senority drivers have floating start time to come in to take out early appointments,maybe make some pickups,after we are empty.
By the time we get back to the terminal our route trailers are closed out.
We get our dr's at the dispatch window.
We put our pallet jack,and hand cart on close the trailer door,and dock door do our pre trip,than get going.
Everyother route driver that doesn't come in to do appointments have a standing start time of 10 AM.
Sometimes they have to wait for their close outs,sometimes they are ready when they clock in.
When I don't have any appoinment to run I have to start at 10,as well.
None of us are ever allowed on the dock anymore unless directed by our inbound supervisor,or TM to help with the inbound unloading,and the close outs,if our inbound loads come in late.
Which is very rare.
This system is hard to get used to,but its not our choice.
We have to do what the ones that are signing our checks want us to do.
The bosses don't seem to care for it anymore than any of us drivers,but they won't say either way.
My inbound supervisor just says this is the way it is get used to it.
Other than that he doesn't talk to much anymore,he's all business.
Right,or wrong we are UPS employees,and this system must be working for them.
The bottom line,is this is one more thing UPS has introduced.
We've all got to get with the program,or go find another program.

On a more serious note, I would think that you clock in at your given start time. If your start time is 7:00AM You punch in at 7:00AM And if your trailer is not ready yet, Sit down and relax, On the clock! And stay off the dock!!

I guess this COULD work, but I have seen too many previously O terminals that are so used to the drivers, either P&D or Linehaul comming in and loading their own trailer, that it will take quite some time before they realize that they are the ones that are suppossed to do the loading.

Only a few of us top senority drivers have floating start time to come in to take out early appointments,maybe make some pickups,after we are empty.
By the time we get back to the terminal our route trailers are closed out.
We get our dr's at the dispatch window.
We put our pallet jack,and hand cart on close the trailer door,and dock door do our pre trip,than get going.
Everyother route driver that doesn't come in to do appointments have a standing start time of 10 AM.
Sometimes they have to wait for their close outs,sometimes they are ready when they clock in.
When I don't have any appoinment to run I have to start at 10,as well.
None of us are ever allowed on the dock anymore unless directed by our inbound supervisor,or TM to help with the inbound unloading,and the close outs,if our inbound loads come in late.
Which is very rare.
This system is hard to get used to,but its not our choice.
We have to do what the ones that are signing our checks want us to do.
The bosses don't seem to care for it anymore than any of us drivers,but they won't say either way.
My inbound supervisor just says this is the way it is get used to it.
Other than that he doesn't talk to much anymore,he's all business.
Right,or wrong we are UPS employees,and this system must be working for them.
The bottom line,is this is one more thing UPS has introduced.
We've all got to get with the program,or go find another program.

Has'nt happened up here yet, but is the dock crew given a bill's\hr. they must meet.

You know its funny when I go to another state.
People ask where I live?
As soon as I say Rochester New York,they act like they never hear the city,just the state.
They think ever city,or town in NY state is near,or in New York city.

Its something like working as a UPS employee.
I call a house delivery that I'm not used to driving in.
To ask if theres a dead end,or a way to turn around my big route trailer.
I say I'm a UPS freight driver.
They hear the UPS,and shut out the freight idea.
Now they are thinking small package car.
They wounder why would I be calling to ask if they live on a dead end street when I can just turn into their driveway.
Like the guy that I delivered a 20 foot Sun Setter awning to.
He couldn't believe I came with the big trailer that couldn't get under the utilty lines on his street.
I had to lay my hand cart down and tape everything around it to get it to his house.
I said sir,how do you think UPS would get something 20 foot long on one of their package cars?
He says gee I never thought about that,Iwoundered why you called me?

Has anyone heard that P&d drivers won't be aloud to go on the clock until their trailers are ready? soo I guess they wont be able to assist dockworkers and make sure everything is in order...:Bondage:
Good we are drivers not dock hands they should protect their work we should.'t be doing their work thats how they can get away with not hiring more people. :smilie_132:

The TM at my terminal stopped all of us city drivers from going to the dock to help the inbound crew unload last week.
Now all the route drivers have to hit the clock not before 10am.
The highest senority drivers are told the night before what their start time is to run specials.
I'm second from the top of our city board so I usualy come in any where between 7 &10 depending if theres an early appoinment for me.
If theres nothing for me,I have to start at 10.
For the 20 plus years I've worked at Overnite I always came off an early special went to the dock to help pull my route freight off the inbound pups,set up my route trailer,closed it out,than left to do my route.
Now if I have a special when I get back and my route trailer isn't loaded I'm not allowed to go to the dock,untill our inbound crew has closed it out.
This is a really big change in our local operation.
I thought it was just a local issue because to many drivers were on the dock chatting with each other rather than helping out.
But from this thread it looks as though it is a system wide policy?
Like any other change UPS has made we've just got to go with it.
Like it,or not,UPS's name is on our pay stubs so we've got to do it their way.
Well sir this is even more reason you need the Teamsters to help you, you don't have to deal with what ever they want to do ,this is why we are all get ran over,:duh:

Oh come on Teamster 251 give me a break.
When you come accross anything thats negative your a lot better off if you just roll with it.
I myself do all of my work unto God almighty creator of heaven,and earth.
He's never failed in taking very good care of me no matter what I face in life.

I live a biblical life,I feel this is the very best way to live.
There is everything in the bible that aplys to every aspect of life.
I know a lot of you can't relate to me,but thats ok.
We are all different in our thinking,we all have to do what we think is in our own best interest.

Theres a bible verse that works for this issue.
its found in Proverbs 17:22
A merry heart doeth good like a medicine,but a broken spirit drieth the bones.

In plan english,it goes a lot better for you to be happy,than to let things eat you up.
So this is where I'm coming from on this issue Teamster 215.
Like it or not,this is just my choice.

Besides I've got to get ready to go to my church now,to learn more of how to live a better life.
I'll catch you later
Well maybe you should work for free,,just roll with it..:duh:

APO, when I come across something negative and it directly effects me I don't just say "oh well I guess I'll just roll with it and hope it gets better tomorrow".

I fight for myself and my dignity. I fight for others and their's as well.

I fight for what I believe in. I served twenty years in the military serving my country because of my beliefs in freedom and this country. I will never let a corporate giant control me for the sake of money. That's all anyone is worried about when it come to their jobs.

Who cares if the treat us bad, they are paying us (or not) for waht we are told or ordered to do.

We as worker have rights, many of you disregaurd that fact for the fear of being tossed aside. You let youselves be pushed around and manipulated in the name of money.

Religion has its time and place, for you, its controlling every aspect of your life, we all know that.
For others that don't follow your path, they need guidance from others or the tools to work with to fix the problems associated with things in there lives that are not controlled by there faith.

What faith do you think the Big Businees goes by?
Well said my brother:smilie_132: