SAIA | p&d pretripz

The newer trucks still run 2 tanks but one is smaller to make room for the DEF tank. However, the tanks are more square than round so they can hold more fuel than the old tractors. The older tractor, that I use, could probably run 800, but like you, I don't let it get that low.
146 gallons usable in the new Volvo

The easiest solution to this problem is Linehaul fuels the trucks before starting their run. Linehaul will not be on the clock so there is no ticking off dispatcher wondering why the 20 minute window was not met. I can't see why it would be necessary to refuel in the morning, after finishing a run. My run is 500+ per night. I fuel when I get to HST. That tankload will carry me the rest of the route, what the city guy needs, and back to HST with about a quarter of a tank left. Altogether, not quite 575 miles. There is no need for a city guy to refuel the tractor. In theory, if Linehaul fuels the truck then there shouldn't be any congestion at the pumps, in the morning. The next question is, how many city guys use the same truck?
About 75% approximately in Dallas. Many city guys get pissed because LH drivers get in the assigned older units if their truck is down and don't make it back in time for the city guys to start their routes. This creates a domino effect that screws everything up. There are plenty of newer units but they want to grab the older 700-800K mile Volvos and run the miles up on them and dog them out all because they don't like the cameras and technology in the newer units.

Last edited:
About 75% approximately in Dallas. Many city guys get pissed because LH drivers get in the assigned older units if their truck is down and don't make it back in time for the city guys to start their routes. This creates a domino effect that screws everything up. There are plenty of newer units but they want to grab the older 700-800K mile Volvos and run the miles up on them and dog them out all because they don't like the cameras and technology in the newer units.
There's your problem. Control of your tractors and that's on the city dispatchers for not marking their territory vs DLS Linehaul and DLS shop. If you want the older units assigned to the city, then grab the truck numbers and start bitching that these trucks are on a no touch list. If Linehaul wants the older units, then grab the newer truck numbers and start bitching that these trucks are on a no touch list. I've seen the list of no touch trucks that HST city, Linehaul, and Shop has worked out. It's just getting it organized but it's stuff that has to happen above driver paygrade. Otherwise, live with it.
next problem, the doctor is in.

There's your problem. Control of your tractors and that's on the city dispatchers for not marking their territory vs DLS Linehaul and DLS shop. If you want the older units assigned to the city, then grab the truck numbers and start bitching that these trucks are on a no touch list. If Linehaul wants the older units, then grab the newer truck numbers and start bitching that these trucks are on a no touch list. I've seen the list of no touch trucks that HST city, Linehaul, and Shop has worked out. It's just getting it organized but it's stuff that has to happen above driver paygrade. Otherwise, live with it.
next problem, the doctor is in.
Excellent post Dr. They need to be a bit more structured in that regard. My understanding now is they have retired so many tractors and haven't replaced them. When tractors go down you need a pool of unassigned tractors to draw from to keep drivers from jumping in whatever they want. They don't have that now so the domino effect remains leaving us no choice but to live with it.

Last edited:
you are right, but we don't have a weekend, we don't have a family life. nope I would not go back to p&d like you would not do L/H. I think we earn what we get paid because of what we give up.
I agree 100% .... You earn everything you get. It's all what you have grown accustomed to. In my long career I've seen drivers make the jump to linehaul from the city and fall flat on their face. And vice versa. When I was a young man I travelled a lot because it was all about the money and it cost me my first marriage. That's not to say that all women can't deal with the solitude that's needed to maintain the marriage by raising the children alone much of the time. It takes a special woman and I wasn't blessed with that. In hindsight I would have done things much different.

Last edited:
When some are bringing in 100K+ a year. They are IMO.
Doesn't matter what they make. Should be paid each individual thing they do. Add up how many drivers and the drop/hook and how much money is saving a year. Probably a couple new trucks a year worth of savings. Don't think those guys come to work only to be paid 98% of their work.

Out of curiousity...I used to show up to work early in order to pretrip, visit, etc...I also used to (off the clock) help incoming L/H unhook, put away dolly, put pup on a door, etc...guess how much $$$$ LH gave me to do that? Correct. LH is compensated very fairly at Saia. And they tend to get an attitude about it (which is very curious as well). LH should fuel their trucks and put lead pup on a door. Nuff said

Out of curiousity...I used to show up to work early in order to pretrip, visit, etc...I also used to (off the clock) help incoming L/H unhook, put away dolly, put pup on a door, etc...guess how much $$$$ LH gave me to do that? Correct. LH is compensated very fairly at Saia. And they tend to get an attitude about it (which is very curious as well). LH should fuel their trucks and put lead pup on a door. Nuff said
Working off clock can hand company loophole of not pay workers comp if you get hurt. Bottom if LH does the work they should be compensated for it.

So, what would happen if the company dropped linehaul pay by (for example) .02 per mile, then paid them minimum wage to cover activities not actually driving (hooking and unhooking, fueling)? Would that be a viable solution? Or would some people go against the honor system and milk the clock?....

So, what would happen if the company dropped linehaul pay by (for example) .02 per mile, then paid them minimum wage to cover activities not actually driving (hooking and unhooking, fueling)? Would that be a viable solution? Or would some people go against the honor system and milk the clock?....
That's the risk you take in non union shop.

You make a good point Buck. A very good point.

:6788:Where in the hell can a blue collar worker make 100K+ yearly? You have guys with masters degrees that don't make that. Don't get me wrong. Linehaul earns every dime they make but the point is if I made that kind of money:6788: I wouldn't be complaining about petty things. I would take the money and run knowing damn good and well my ass is "getting paid" .... Hell yeah !!!!!!

Last edited:
:6788:Where in the hell can a blue collar worker make 100K+ yearly? You have guys with masters degrees that don't make that. Don't get me wrong. Linehaul earns every dime they make but the point is if I made that kind of money:6788: I wouldn't be complaining about petty things. I would take the money and run knowing damn good and well my ass is "getting paid" .... Hell yeah !!!!!!
If your doing company mandated work regardless of LH or P&D you should be compensated for it, if you get hurt doing work off the clock then the questions start flying why weren't you clocked in, I know I don't work here, but it doesn't matter IMO if your required to do the job you should be payed. Also if a P&D driver worked as many hours as LH with overtime the pay would be comparable.

City drivers got a little perks 2 sum have the option run a line haul run on Saturday to help get that check up sum. If a city driver run a line haul run he get what a line haul driver makes. If a line driver do anything on the clock we dont get city driver hour pay.

If you peddle freight as a line haul driver working for P & D you will be getting P&D pay. I delivered volume loads back in 2012 - 2014 when the city was swamped with freight after I would finish my line haul run.