FedEx Freight | Pallet Jacks (City Driver)

If I had to buy one, it wouldn't be an electric. I've been knocked off the liftgate with that thing b/c the touchy throttle. But I do sympathize with not having ANY jack available, I was a 09:00 guy for a while. Even if there ARE some left over, they're the ones nobody else wants to use.
Usually the ones that someone stole from Holland missing wheels and screws lol

No jack? No unloading.

Turn around drive straight back to your yard. Tell Management, no jack no unloading safely. Until they buy a jack you cannot work without getting hurt etc.

Be Severe. This is strictly business. Management will not get off their 1000 silk count suited asses to spend a dollar on jacks until they are buried in Trailers needing to be delivered all over the area like a western tumbleweed burying a town in the spring time.
Definitely a safety issue. Good way to hurt your back and other body parts. O.S.H.A would love to hear about theses safety violations that Fed Ex management can't fix seemingly.

We had a couple of drivers who used to work for R&L bring their own pallet jacks in to use. After a few months they were told they had to take them home per company policy. We had a driver ask if he could buy his own 2 wheeler since he could never find a decent one to use. Our TM said you can buy your own, but if it stays at the terminal then anyone will be able to use it.
That two wheeler would be going home with me every day. If i bought it then its mine. Im just helping the company out by getting my own because they are to damn cheap to.

This is the type stuff that bugs me. Multi billion dollar companies that are so cheap they won't even get the workers the proper equipment so they can do their jobs safely. Because someone in an off ice doesn't have to do they just don't care. Ive been there to having a junkie hand truck that wobbles nearly dropping the load on it or a pallet jack that barely rolls so you have to strain your guts out with it. Walk a mile in another mans shoes and have some compassion and decency to treat that man as you would yourself. This is just plain sorry for a company to do their workers this way just so the high ups can get another bonus for keeping budget down.

This is the type stuff that bugs me. Multi billion dollar companies that are so cheap they won't even get the workers the proper equipment so they can do their jobs safely. Because someone in an off ice doesn't have to do they just don't care. Ive been there to having a junkie hand truck that wobbles nearly dropping the load on it or a pallet jack that barely rolls so you have to strain your guts out with it. Walk a mile in another mans shoes and have some compassion and decency to treat that man as you would yourself. This is just plain sorry for a company to do their workers this way just so the high ups can get another bonus for keeping budget down.
I would blame the drivers who don't demand the proper equipment to do the job safely. Easier to complain than to make management do their job. :idunno:

I would blame the drivers who don't demand the proper equipment to do the job safely. Easier to complain than to make management do their job. :idunno:
Those that you speak of at our center are the round mouth club. Supervisors and other members put the best pallet jacks etc in trailer before bulk of drivers hit dock.Just bring the freight back the hell with the purple pickle promise it’s your back and shoulders not worth it .

Does anyone know why we don’t have the option to buy our own pallet jacks like other LTLs…for sake Southeastern and R+L have a company paid (electric) pallet Jack program where they take $20 dollars a check until paid off… Fedex too cheap for that but just the option to buy your own would be nice…the reason is I just counted tonight we have 38 pallet jacks and 50 drivers in the city tomorrow. I’m 0930 guy and it’s hard to get a Jack especially when needing one for a lift gate. Our barn says can only buy 5 a month but yet there is no accountability for our jacks. Drivers will leave them at customers and the barn won’t let us lock a Jack up. So what are my options. Just bring the Frieght back when I’m 2 hrs away from yard and stop delivering? This is been a ongoing issue and leadership just says we will order more later but this doesn’t stop the lazy drivers from leaving them at customers there for us not having any…
Interesting to see somebody actually wanting the option to buy his own, since people like to trash R&L for that

Pretty damn low of Fedwrex to not even let a man lock up his own equipment

No driver should have to buy equipment to save the company time/expense. Decent leadership would/should put a suitable pallet jack and hand truck on every trailer that needs it... AND make sure the door will close - with said jack. A liftgate with no pallet jack is just about worthless.

The O/P is correct, they won't let you keep you own... They have cut locks, run over with a fork lift, lost, etc. Everything imaginable, and will NOT be responsible for it.

I agree with the sentiment above - do the best you can SAFELY. Bring the freight back if you need to. Don't sacrifice a hundred (or couple hundred) $ to save a multi-billion dollar company those same dollars. Negative Grasshopper. Negative!

:smilie93c peelout:

Interesting to see somebody actually wanting the option to buy his own, since people like to trash R&L for that

Pretty damn low of Fedwrex to not even let a man lock up his own equipment
I can see the possibility of a reason for not letting you buy and use your own equipment, it could be a liability issue for the company. If they provide the equipment, they are responsible for the maintenance and safety, if it’s yours they have no control over that. I’m not saying that they would be maintained by them, just that they have less control over the situation.

Not picking sides here, but how do many of these jacks become junk?
From user abuse.
Improperly used by driver? Like pushing only 1 leg under a pallet that won't fit both and putting huge stress on the lifting part.
Falls out of trailer going down the road because door was left open.
Picking up skid too heavy for lift capacity.
Forcing it under skids because pallet too small.
Lifting skids high to break bottom boards so it will roll easier.
Laying it on its side on trailer, instead of securing it, and oil leaks out around cylinder.
Never in 40 plus years have I ever seen a management person using a pallet jack.

So you want to buy your own, but only if you can make payments to the company? There is nothing stopping you from buying your own.
Actually, there is, the company won't let you buy your own. I asked. After having spine surgery, I suggested buying my own jack to elevate the problem of pulling a jack (yes, I know you should push, but you have to pull it out and turn it around before you can push). I suggested on like this, I said I would purchase it for myself, but I was told I could not do that. In order to do so, I would need a medical necessity from my doctor and I would have to submit a "reasonable accommodation" request for my disability. I was urged that was not what I wanted to do by management. https://www.ebay.com/itm/3352827129...-PmwyVB7s8ZceRf5l0RkQegW03gZeIwMaApeJEALw_wcB

We had a driver buy an electric jack with permission from our TM. Someone higher up found out about it and the company actually bought it back from the driver. Said he couldn't own it due to liability, like if it caught on fire or he hit someone with it. Our TM bought 2 more electric jacks but unfortunately there's a few drivers who have laid claim to them and management won't do anything about it.

No driver should have to buy equipment to save the company time/expense. Decent leadership would/should put a suitable pallet jack and hand truck on every trailer that needs it... AND make sure the door will close - with said jack. A liftgate with no pallet jack is just about worthless.

The O/P is correct, they won't let you keep you own... They have cut locks, run over with a fork lift, lost, etc. Everything imaginable, and will NOT be responsible for it.

I agree with the sentiment above - do the best you can SAFELY. Bring the freight back if you need to. Don't sacrifice a hundred (or couple hundred) $ to save a multi-billion dollar company those same dollars. Negative Grasshopper. Negative!

:smilie93c peelout:
I mean a statement can be made with a expense report and getting the money back.

Or you can claim it on taxes.