TForce | part time dock workers?

peteb2006

TB Lurker
Credits
I just heard from one of my freinds on the night shift that UPS will be doing away with all the fulltime dock positions soon, starting dock workewrs out part time at $9. from a business stand point I guess it would be better to have 10 workers at $9 rather that 5 at $20.... however what I am hearing is that if a fulltime dockworker obtains a CDL and has seniority he can bump even city drivers out of their positions due to the rules stating "if UPS does away with a job clasification" seniority has first dibs on anything open at that time... I'm not sure I worded that right but hopefully you understand what I am trying to say.. has anyone else heard or seen this happening yet?

southerngrits said:
I just heard from one of my freinds on the night shift that UPS will be doing away with all the fulltime dock positions soon, starting dock workewrs out part time at $9. from a business stand point I guess it would be better to have 10 workers at $9 rather that 5 at $20.... however what I am hearing is that if a fulltime dockworker obtains a CDL and has seniority he can bump even city drivers out of their positions due to the rules stating "if UPS does away with a job clasification" seniority has first dibs on anything open at that time... I'm not sure I worded that right but hopefully you understand what I am trying to say.. has anyone else heard or seen this happening yet?
I don't know about this rule of bumping when a job classification has been cancelled. I have seen many times when a line haul run has been permanently cancelled that the bottom line haul driver goe's to the bottom of the p&d seniority list regardless of their company seniority. Example: If the line haul driver has 10 years company time and a full time p&d driver has 6 months company time. The line haul driver that was forced into the city goes to the very bottom of the p&d seniority list. Thats right!! The 10 yr. man may sit home and watch the 6 mo. man get the work. THIS IS SO WRONG!!! But as the rule book says, anything can change at any time they see fit with out notice.

Only thing I can comment on this is when Overnite had their big layoff in 1996. Several of the road drivers were laid off. They were allowed to bump in on the dock or as a jockey, etc. This was not an option for my husband since we live 3 hours from the terminal.

I've posted to this subject before.

I work out of Rochester N.Y. the Teamster LTL companies have always had a single senority board.
Once a year all job classes ,and starting times for P&D,and some dock spots.
Highest senority gets their pick of any class.
Road,P&D,or Dock.
If its a P&D bid,than also the start time is a bid.
The one on the bottom gets whats left.
This bid is one full year.

With non-union companies in Rochester most are like our company,they have one board for company senority,vacations,as well as days off.
And first bid to take none paid days around holidays.
But they don't bid out of classes.
If your top road,you can only bid the road,and so forth with each class.
Bids are for one full year.
Hope this helps.