ODFL | People vs. Freight

Absolutely. I feel like something is on the horizon. They've been putting the people in place for about the last 8 months. On top of that adding on to several terminals, several terminals opening or in construction. Waiting to see what exactly it is that is on that horizon. Too bad the build up involves starving some drivers.

Absolutely. I feel like something is on the horizon. They've been putting the people in place for about the last 8 months. On top of that adding on to several terminals, several terminals opening or in construction. Waiting to see what exactly it is that is on that horizon. Too bad the build up involves starving some drivers.

I’ve went from 60 hours a week down to 40. Fairly large pop to the wallet. We started hiring and really had no place for them to begin with. Hopefully something positive comes from this, but right now, doesn’t look too good.

Absolutely ... I feel we may be reaching a point of no return .. I really hope I am wrong but boy do I ever have the feeling this time

I’m not quite sure, but just call it speculation. We’re expanding some terminals, getting a drop lot, hiring more drivers, changing the runs or adding more. Uline??? Just speculation.

We're busy because of Uline.Plus added some area from SFC because they're slammed.Terminal is too small.Plus I heard from another carrier that the local interline carrier shut down so some of that fringe freight going to PoDunk USA is now an issue.
Not sure but we're probably still hiring even though we don't have enough tractors now.

Isn't there a potential Union strike looming next year? Might be all of these things.

Potential union strike now that's funny. I work for the Big E and they hired enough drivers to cut everybody back to 40 to 45 a week. They claim after being in business for 85 yrs they are working on giving better service so they want everybody back early.

Think about this guys.....this is far bigger than adding a customer or two. Every terminal has hired people, too many people. In order to keep all these people working, there has to be something bigger on the horizon. Gaining a customer like ULine would benefit some, but not generate the kind of work to hire 6-8 people per 227 terminals. They are either cutting hours back to 40, or a huge acquisition is in the works. My .02

Think about this guys.....this is far bigger than adding a customer or two. Every terminal has hired people, too many people. In order to keep all these people working, there has to be something bigger on the horizon. Gaining a customer like ULine would benefit some, but not generate the kind of work to hire 6-8 people per 227 terminals. They are either cutting hours back to 40, or a huge acquisition is in the works. My .02

Omg you must be new, OD has always over hired before summer. Every summer we have massive amounts of drivers who get sick on fridays and Mondays when we need them most. Another group always gets sick and goes on leave for 3 months. They’re covering their hind end this year like every to prepare for the growth.

You lose all credibility if you even say the word amazon be going to buy us.

Omg you must be new, OD has always over hired before summer. Every summer we have massive amounts of drivers who get sick on fridays and Mondays when we need them most. Another group always gets sick and goes on leave for 3 months. They’re covering their hind end this year like every to prepare for the growth.

You lose all credibility if you even say the word amazon be

I’m not new. If you have 10 drivers, and you have work for 6, why hire 6 more? Doesn’t stir the kool-aid...

You could be wearing a new uniform soon Mastio Man, read in the Wall Street Journal, Coop Dispatch, has outbid Amazon by $42.69.
Don't worry, just keep those zero turn blades sharp, help Ump with his goat feed bill.
Fly don't need to work, he has enough money to burn a wet mule.

I don't think this has anything to do with overtime. Most of the hiring seems to be combo or line haul. I'm with Under Pressure here I think there's a possibility of either an acquisition, merger or major customer coming. Also keep in mind the timing of Dave stepping aside as CEO. And this is not their typical every year summer hiring they began hiring last fall and never stopped. Word on the street seems to be they are at their point where they're about to stop hiring close to the Staffing levels they want. It is possible that this is just the new Norm they want to be overstaffed and ready to flex up, but something just seems different this time. If something's coming will find out 5 days after it happens. Oh and did you see all that corporate BS language in the new handbook online about insider trading and blah blah blah just corporate talk that would be keeping lips sealed around central.

Lhdrvr, it just makes sense. An acquisition that is...let’s get staffed up so when it does take place, we will have the people in place to take care of the added business. People will move on, (quit) during the process, so it’s good to have plenty on tap to meet the demands of the added work.