FedEx Freight | Platooning

milemarker68

TB Lurker
Credits
The future of trucking driving. Is is scary or exciting? I believe its both. We will be called navigators instead of truck drivers. The driver will be communicating with other drivers and monitor the cameras and sensors.

Let's see that test in real world circumstances.
You are too short sighted.

I've been hearing the same dribble from old bastards for years.

"Yeah but, but, let's see them back into a dock!"
"Lets see them find the right route when there is a road closure !!"

We have had long range strike bombers flying completely unmanned, taking off, taking out precision targets thousands of miles apart, with 100% accuracy, fueling in air, and landing. All unmanned.

And you think we dont have the tech to make a truck do a blindside back?

Wake up. You are either an out of touch relic, or are in complete denial.
A 21yr old male, just now starting a career as a driver will never retire from that job. He will he replaced by his 35th birthday, if not sooner..

If you are 40,you will be lucky if you retire as a driver before you are replaced..

We have had long range strike bombers flying completely unmanned, taking off, taking out precision targets thousands of miles apart, with 100% accuracy, fueling in air, and landing. All unmanned.

A 21yr old male, just now starting a career as a driver will never retire from that job. He will he replaced by his 35th birthday, if not sooner..

If you are 40,you will be lucky if you retire as a driver before you are replaced..

yep I'm one of the old bastards, but you show me anywhere platooning would work. It's not that drivers can't do it. It's that other cars and trucks will break in and break it up. Trucking will and has changed so much from when I started and in some form trucking isn't going anywhere. Not one smart highway has been developed yet and I'm yet to see them test a driverless truck and trailer over the rocky mountains. Wow blind side back truck fine let's see it deal with a 30mph wind gust on icy roads in wyoming. Up or down off Loveland pass. Technology has a long ways to go before before it's safe to be out there with the motoring public

The military operates in air space with no other planes around. it's a little bit different when you are driving East Freeway, in Houston, during rush hour.

yep I'm one of the old bastards, but you show me anywhere platooning would work. It's not that drivers can't do it. It's that other cars and trucks will break in and break it up. Trucking will and has changed so much from when I started and in some form trucking isn't going anywhere. Not one smart highway has been developed yet and I'm yet to see them test a driverless truck and trailer over the rocky mountains. Wow blind side back truck fine let's see it deal with a 30mph wind gust on icy roads in wyoming. Up or down off Loveland pass. Technology has a long ways to go before before it's safe to be out there with the motoring public
Thanks for making my point about being short sighted.

"The other cars" around you (the truck) will be self driving as well.
Every vehicle on the road will be linked together in a network.
Every vehicle will be aware of one that is about to change lanes, exit, stop, ect.
And I promise a computer can react to a crash much quicker than you can, and will also respond and react better than you will.

"30mph winds and Ice??!!"
Oh no! Once again, the computer can traverse these condtions better than you can.

As a child of the 70's, I was told by the year 2000 we'd be flying around like the Jetsons. Technology is great but it also has to be cost effective to implement. Environment also plays a role. Much easier to platoon across wide open spaces in Texas then doing it in up state New York. Regional company's will have to decide if it's worth the cost and if it can be done efficiently and effectively

As a child of the 70's, I was told by the year 2000 we'd be flying around like the Jetsons. Technology is great but it also has to be cost effective to implement. Environment also plays a role. Much easier to platoon across wide open spaces in Texas then doing it in up state New York. Regional company's will have to decide if it's worth the cost and if it can be done efficiently and effectively

The initial investment to automate driving will pay for itself super quick.
Your salary of one year, + your benefits will pay to update a unit.
People are far more expensive to maintain than equipment.
I'm not saying it's coming tomorrow, next week, or even in 5yrs, but make no mistake, it's coming in our lifetime.

You overestimate your importance.
You overvalue your worth.

Last edited:

Every vehicle will be aware of one that is about to change lanes, exit, stop, ect.
And I promise a computer can react to a crash much quicker than you can, and will also respond and react better than you will.

Oh no! Once again, the computer can traverse these condtions better than you can.

And you put too much faith in technology, that's not here. It's pointless to say more.

The initial investment to automate driving will pay for itself super quick.
Your salary of one year, + your benefits will pay to update a unit.
People are far more expensive to maintain than equipment.
I'm not saying it's coming tomorrow, next week, or even in 5yrs, but make no mistake, it's coming in our lifetime.
Maybe... But so far that hasn't been the case. This technology has been around since the 90's and compared to the advances in safty, self driving is far behind

You do know that the Jetson's is a cartoon and that Star Wars is a movie series and not a documentary, right? By the way, will a computer know when to hit the grass, to avoid a pileup or will it lockup when there is no concrete place to go?

You do know that the Jetson's is a cartoon and that Star Wars is a movie series and not a documentary, right? By the way, will a computer know when to hit the grass, to avoid a pileup or will it lockup when there is no concrete place to go?
Yes, a computer is capable of making those decisions .

In one situation, it will make more calculations, and compute more variables, and possible outcomes than you will in a year of driving, and will react better than you.

5yrs ago, we had humans that could beat the best computers in chess.
Today, a computer has won the game before the human gets to his 2nd move

The pace at which technology is gaining is absurd..

Side note: I am very much an analog/manual mindset individual and prefer things that way
But, I am also very aware of where we are headed.

Last edited:

(can't post a link) nytimes.com/interactive/2018/03/20/us/self-driving-uber-pedestrian-killed.html

Did you missed this News??? Self Driving car are ready right now....unless your a pedestrian!

And before you blame it on the driver remember radar can see in the dark so this car should have stopped. A computer with make a decision faster but will it be the correct decision.

For me I don't want to loss a family member to testing on the public streets. My solution lets have all the CEOs of the companies pushing self driving cars on a test track blindfolded running around and bunch of their own self driving cars doing 60 on the track too. This would be a viral video.

Self driving is coming, right now it stills needs a driver behind the wheel paying attention to the road.
And before you disagree
(can't post a link) bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-03-31/tesla-says-driver-s-hands-weren-t-on-wheel-at-time-of-accident

What of sixth sense?

Haven't you ever felt look you should slow, before a crash?

Knew to slow, before the bear?

Realized a car was about to serve at you?

Can computers do any of that?

Not even to mention that they must be programmed to kill. How will they choose? The bus with kids? The church? The car? It's up to the programmer...

It's all or nothing in my mind, they'll all have to communicate and the human factor will have to be removed before the switch is flipped to go fully autonomous.

Clearcut - those drivers are just scapegoats for when the computer glitches out...

How the hell are you supposed to stay focused and attentive for hours on end, when you aren't actively driving?