FedEx Freight | Pre Hooking

a few months ago we watched a video tape of a fork lift going into a trailer and the driver pulled off the door dropping the lift on the ground and it was almost fatal.the rule is you can not hook unless your door is down.its the same with unhooking.at my barn as soon as we hit the dock the dock guys pop the door so when we unhook we can be written up for it because the door was up.

Another reason I think Pre-staging is a safer act than Pre-hooking! I watched one fall to the ground two years ago.. luckily.. he held on and did not jump off...

Can happen with any carrier at any dock.. be safe.. check/double check..

I had a friend killed because a carrier pulled trailer away from the dock dumping him and the forklift onto the ground. This was at a manufacturing plant. He had a long lingering death, never got out of hospital. Safety is far more important than transit times, isn't it? Wait for the door to be closed and double check! That extra 5 minutes could've saved Kenny's life.

Sorry about your friend Pogo. I saw it happen at a Lowe's one time. It was as much the fault of the manager as it was the driver or dockworker.
Truckload carrier brought in load of insulation. Before truck was empty the manager went ahead and signed off on paperwork.
As driver walked to truck with papers in hand, the dockworker was in trailer stacking last rolls of insulation onto forks. You can guess the rest.
Dockworker was very lucky. Rode it to ground and landed upright. Sprained his back. No broken bones or bad discs.

I had a friend killed because a carrier pulled trailer away from the dock dumping him and the forklift onto the ground. This was at a manufacturing plant. He had a long lingering death, never got out of hospital. Safety is far more important than transit times, isn't it? Wait for the door to be closed and double check! That extra 5 minutes could've saved Kenny's life.

my condolences.safety first.no gate time is worth someones life.

Ok does anyone really no the policy? I have been told not to ever hook to a trailer at the dock if the door is open. The reason for this is to prevent injury,by pulling someone off the dock. I personally refuse to pre hook until I have my hook sheet in hand and trailer is closed. But every night at the hub I hear the ops mgr tell drivers to go pre hook.... You guys have any input on this??:chairshot:

Yeah there are some of the greedy you know what's that pre-hook and work the dock when they don't have to, "on runs that they would get paid to sit there" knocking guys that are on runs that have to work the dock out of money. Cause every minute they are out there chasing thier freight that is knocking a guy that is on a shorter run out of time on the dock, which means they are cherry picking and they are not even supposed to let them do that but they do. I know it may not go on everywhere but I also know it does happen in several places.

A driver at my barn was handed the manifest and went to hook his set. He spotted his dolly in front of his rear trailer that was still in a door. He walked to the rear of the trailer to pull the block from in front of the tire and to make sure the door was down, which it WAS down, AND sealed. Got his lead and completed tying everything up, pulled away from the door, BOOM!!!! The trailer had been reopened to add some last minute (or forgotten) frieght. The block had not been replaced, no one standing in front of the trailer to tell the driver to hold. No one got hurt, but one forklift was totaled. ONE person got three days off, can you guess who?

That's why I don't pull the chock till after getting my lead and hooking the dolly, then pull the chock check the door and hook. They would have to be moving at light speed to get that door up before I hooked.

FM

A driver at my barn was handed the manifest and went to hook his set. He spotted his dolly in front of his rear trailer that was still in a door. He walked to the rear of the trailer to pull the block from in front of the tire and to make sure the door was down, which it WAS down, AND sealed. Got his lead and completed tying everything up, pulled away from the door, BOOM!!!! The trailer had been reopened to add some last minute (or forgotten) frieght. The block had not been replaced, no one standing in front of the trailer to tell the driver to hold. No one got hurt, but one forklift was totaled. ONE person got three days off, can you guess who?

This happens way too often. There's no hard guess to that one. The driver seems to get the blame no matter what. Don't know first hand but was told a situation of this type happened today at my barn. Gotta make that gate time!