XPO | PTO annual selection

Randommdriver

TB Lurker
Credits
Does any terminal go by a night shift , day shift annual PTO selection? Or do you start from top seniority down to the bottom, regardless of wether you work day or night?For annual PTO selection

Does any terminal go by a night shift , day shift annual PTO selection? Or do you start from top seniority down to the bottom, regardless of wether you work day or night?For annual PTO selection
My barn tried the day/night split but we complained until the higher ups got involved and they said that the drivers were correct that it should be straight seniority. So if you guys are doing night/day and you don't like it, speak up

My barn tried the day/night split but we complained until the higher ups got involved and they said that the drivers were correct that it should be straight seniority. So if you guys are doing night/day and you don't like it, speak up
For 15 years I've been here it's been strictly seniority, they trying to change it, we will speak up, there's a chance a 3 year employee at night will get thanksgiving off , instead of a 20 year employee on days , crazy to me, thanks for input

You should call your hr. Sounds like your manager is trying to placate someone. Should be one board, by seniority, system wide. Our mgr tried to change it last year because the new hires were complaining they were not able to book holidays in the summer. Imagine that.

I get the seniority thing, but never understood why LH and City driver fight over the same PTO days. At my former barn we were allowed 5 drivers off per day. We could have 5 LH driver off for a week and nobody from city flex came to nights to help cover runs. The same applied for the city. In every LTL I worked for , other then this place, they allowed so many off on the city board and so many off on the LH board. If you work LH why are you fighting for a day off with a city driver or vice verse. You are doing 2 different jobs at different times. I guess it's just makes it easier for mangement

For 15 years I've been here it's been strictly seniority, they trying to change it, we will speak up, there's a chance a 3 year employee at night will get thanksgiving off , instead of a 20 year employee on days , crazy to me, thanks for input
So. The 20yr guys could bid night shift couldn't he

I get the seniority thing, but never understood why LH and City driver fight over the same PTO days. At my former barn we were allowed 5 drivers off per day. We could have 5 LH driver off for a week and nobody from city flex came to nights to help cover runs. The same applied for the city. In every LTL I worked for , other then this place, they allowed so many off on the city board and so many off on the LH board. If you work LH why are you fighting for a day off with a city driver or vice verse. You are doing 2 different jobs at different times. I guess it's just makes it easier for mangement
That is one of my biggest complaints. I run linehaul and tried to get the week of Christmas off. I was denied because there were 5 p&d drivers off that week.

That is one of my biggest complaints. I run linehaul and tried to get the week of Christmas off. I was denied because there were 5 p&d drivers off that week.
You mean 5 senior employees had it off.

That's important because if they split it by shift and you want it off and some cat with 6 fewer years than you gets it off because of that system you'll be in here crying.

It certainly has its drawbacks but seniority is the simplest and best way we have, imo.

You mean 5 senior employees had it off.

That's important because if they split it by shift and you want it off and some cat with 6 fewer years than you gets it off because of that system you'll be in here crying.

It certainly has its drawbacks but seniority is the simplest and best way we have, imo.
Yep. Exactly. Put your time in. I never got any holidays from June to sept the first 12 years.

There is a way to make the vacation system more fair for everyone, but it would require senior drivers who "earned their seniority" simply because they didn't quit to open up their hearts and take one for the team. I've mentioned it before and got lamb basted for it, so unless someone is actually interested in me explaining it again, I'll end this thought right here.

There is a way to make the vacation system more fair for everyone, but it would require senior drivers who "earned their seniority" simply because they didn't quit to open up their hearts and take one for the team. I've mentioned it before and got lamb basted for it, so unless someone is actually interested in me explaining it again, I'll end this thought right here.
Imo, it is fair. You put your time in to gain seniority, you get better vacation.

I’ve started over many times because of companies closing their doors . I’ve never once bitched about how vacations are done or how bids are done . I understood from day one it’s by seniority . I worked my way up the board and eventually got the runs or days off I wanted . Doing it by seniority is the way it should be . These guys helped build the company and put up with all tge BS and they deserve it done by seniority .