XPO | PTO annual selection

My barn tried the day/night split but we complained until the higher ups got involved and they said that the drivers were correct that it should be straight seniority. So if you guys are doing night/day and you don't like it, speak up
10% off on the day board and 10% off on the night board based on your seniority!!!

FedEx has a separate calendar for each job classification. There's one for linehaul, one for p/d and one for dock workers. We bid for vacations based on seniority in job classification and then we can request specific days off and they're granted or denied based on business needs. Those are first come first serve. Once the slot is filled, it's filled. In my building, the most is 6 per classification per day.

There is a way to make the vacation system more fair for everyone, but it would require senior drivers who "earned their seniority" simply because they didn't quit to open up their hearts and take one for the team. I've mentioned it before and got lamb basted for it, so unless someone is actually interested in me explaining it again, I'll end this thought right here.
everyone picks two weeks, then come back for the rest? I take one week in the summer and let drivers behind me have a chance for a week. My kids are grown and family vacations are over. I rarely got summer weeks when they were younger. Some take as many popular weeks as they can. Holiday weeks are only an option for the top drivers. Another popular thing now is booking all your time at the beginning of the year and canceling last minute. That burns me up.

everyone picks two weeks, then come back for the rest? I take one week in the summer and let drivers behind me have a chance for a week. My kids are grown and family vacations are over. I rarely got summer weeks when they were younger. Some take as many popular weeks as they can. Holiday weeks are only an option for the top drivers. Another popular thing now is booking all your time at the beginning of the year and canceling last minute. That burns me up.
I've actually brought something like this up with the hr folks before. It could even slightly favor people with more seniority.

If you have 2 or 3 weeks available then you get 2 weeks first round.

If you're at 4 or 5 week level maybe you get to pick 3 weeks first round.

6 week folks if there are any left maybe they can pick 4 weeks first round.

Second time through you can pick the rest.

Gives lower seniority a chance to get nice weather off up here in the north, still skews to favor those with seniority, doesn't over complicate things.

I've actually brought something like this up with the hr folks before. It could even slightly favor people with more seniority.

If you have 2 or 3 weeks available then you get 2 weeks first round.

If you're at 4 or 5 week level maybe you get to pick 3 weeks first round.

6 week folks if there are any left maybe they can pick 4 weeks first round.

Second time through you can pick the rest.

Gives lower seniority a chance to get nice weather off up here in the north, still skews to favor those with seniority, doesn't over complicate things.
So I have to choose between my two week summer vacation, and my time off at Christmas? Seems fair. Nope.

So I have to choose between my two week summer vacation, and my time off at Christmas? Seems fair. Nope.
There's always someone who hates the idea šŸ¤£.

I get it, though. I don't really have a huge issue with straight seniority but I'm open to new ideas. I'm number 8 at my barn. We Get 4 guys off per week and I didn't get a week in September I wanted. That's a bit of a fluke but still pretty wild. I also genuinely feel for the lower folks and while I think we should def favor seniority i don't believe that if I/we suffered then they should too. There might be a reasonable in-between. I just think the city/linehaul split method is pretty terrible.

You mean 5 senior employees had it off.

That's important because if they split it by shift and you want it off and some cat with 6 fewer years than you gets it off because of that system you'll be in here crying.

It certainly has its drawbacks but seniority is the simplest and best way we have, imo.
Then why do they have separate boards for CSR, management, DW? Why not just lump everyone together. They all have seniority too...

Just for thanksgiving off??? The 20yr guy earned his spot and PTO selection
Yes he earned his spot. So why did so many bitch at my place when they brought flex in early? They could have bid flex just like he could have bid nights. It is funny how at FedEX post #22 they have separate vacation boards and been like that since I worked there before it was FedEx

FedEx has a separate calendar for each job classification. There's one for linehaul, one for p/d and one for dock workers. We bid for vacations based on seniority in job classification and then we can request specific days off and they're granted or denied based on business needs. Those are first come first serve. Once the slot is filled, it's filled. In my building, the most is 6 per classification per day.
Damm looks pretty simple to me and would not be that hard to do at XPO since you bid before PTO selection. Oh wait at XPO you can flip flop between LH and city with no penalty. If I remember there was one at FedEx correct

I just think the city/linehaul split method is pretty terrible.
Why????? Do city guy cover LH runs when LH guy goes on vacation or vise versa.
The same can be said on separate boards for office staff and DW.
Here the thing were I work now there are 3 different shift so when it comes to days off I'm only going up against the guys that work on my shift which is 3rd. So each shift is allowed only so many off per day. It's really not that hard

There's always someone who hates the idea šŸ¤£.

I get it, though. I don't really have a huge issue with straight seniority but I'm open to new ideas. I'm number 8 at my barn. We Get 4 guys off per week and I didn't get a week in September I wanted. That's a bit of a fluke but still pretty wild. I also genuinely feel for the lower folks and while I think we should def favor seniority i don't believe that if I/we suffered then they should too. There might be a reasonable in-between. I just think the city/linehaul split method is pretty terrible.
We had a DW get the week X-mas off, during that year he became a driver. So what should be done with the PTO time he has the week of X-mas since now he's a driver?????

Why????? Do city guy cover LH runs when LH guy goes on vacation or vise versa.
We currently have enough flex guys to cover usually, but when we don't, they def take and move city and LH drivers to cover them if they need to.

The problem with the shift split boards is that you can have a LH guy with 15 years not get a week off and a city guy with 1 year get it off. This is what happened when my TM decided to split the board like this abd it's the reason HR got involved and made him switch it back.

You might think the board split is fine and awesome. Most other drivers think it's BS. I tend to side with the most other drivers here. It's not that the concept is "hard", we all understand how it would work. We just don't like it.

We had a DW get the week X-mas off, during that year he became a driver. So what should be done with the PTO time he has the week of X-mas since now he's a driver?????
I'd honor the time off. You know why? Because I'm a reasonable human being who can accept that sometimes a weird situation will occur and we can all deal with them as they come and do the decent thing.

I'd honor the time off. You know why? Because I'm a reasonable human being who can accept that sometimes a weird situation will occur and we can all deal with them as they come and do the decent thing.
but he got the time off that senior divers did not and he's a driver

but he got the time off that senior divers did not and he's a driver
He sure did. And like I said with the comment you replied to here: It's OK.

You brought up an incredibly uncommon situation and are holding it up like some sort of gotcha moment. It isn't. Something uncommon and weird happened, be adults, let them have the time off. It's gonna be alright. We can't let flukes and oddities destroy the prevailing method because there will always be flukes and oddities, even with a split shift board. It wouldn't make that system any less practicable than it made the current one.

What actually happened? Did they honor the time or screw him over?

He sure did. And like I said with the comment you replied to here: It's OK.

You brought up an incredibly uncommon situation and are holding it up like some sort of gotcha moment. It isn't. Something uncommon and weird happened, be adults, let them have the time off. It's gonna be alright. We can't let flukes and oddities destroy the prevailing method because there will always be flukes and oddities, even with a split shift board. It wouldn't make that system any less practicable than it made the current one.

What actually happened? Did they honor the time or screw him over?
no they honor it, but man the cleaning guy didn't need any water to mop the floor with all the crying the senior guy did about it... BTW I didn't have a problem with it just though I would bring it up since it all about seniority