FedEx Freight | Purchase Transportation

Did you not read the part where I mentioned that they use PT here, too? And FXFC was contractor only from even before Watkins bought us. It had nothing to do with FedEx. FedEx could've used Watkins as a way to weasel out of company drivers, but instead they went the other way. Try finding something useful to contribute to the conversation if you're going to post.
I have failed to see where it says mod next to your name. Dont tell me what or how to post. You dont like it tough ::shit::.

Interesting example. I considered hauling gas, at one time, 20ish years ago. The drawback: was pay was based on commission and I didn't like the idea of the same work paying varying amounts week to week.

I've often wondered, if over the years, with skyrocketing fuel cost, did their pay go through the roof? Are they suffering now that fuel cost are reduced currently? I wouldn't be surprised if their pay model was changed when it began to benefit those drivers. Are they now payed per load, rather than by value of the load. Just curious, since I could easily have gone down that road.
Fuel is lumped in with other bulk commodities these days, to my knowledge. Paid by weight, more often than not. It's also mostly owner/operators. The few I've spoken to seem happy with the pay, though I'd imagine it'd chew up drive tires.

They haul them super heavy up here. 119,000lbs GCW on B train tankers with a bunch of axles.

I took the time to read some of the reply posts. It's not about whether or not the company has to use PT. I know the company has to use PT in unbalanced lanes. It's about taking care of your people. Its funny, the purple kool aid drinkers think it's fine for a driver to sit at home unless it's them of course. If it were them they would be on this blog complaining everyday. These are the same guys who are against a union at FxF but don't have a problem using their spouses Union benefits or pay. The freight is there no one should have to stay at home so a driver can work. I know a few drivers that had to draw unemployment benefits because they sit at home for so long they had to do something to bring in income. How many driver have been layed off or had to transfer because there was no longer a position for them? It wasn't because the freight wasn't there it was because the company close to use PT. I know you kool aid drinkers don't want to hear this but the company needs to take care of its drivers. That's means getting them out first, and making sure every company driver works before any PT does. Quit being hypocrites you know if your ass was sitting at home you wouldn't like it and you know it.

I took the time to read some of the reply posts. It's not about whether or not the company has to use PT. I know the company has to use PT in unbalanced lanes. It's about taking care of your people. Its funny, the purple kool aid drinkers think it's fine for a driver to sit at home unless it's them of course. If it were them they would be on this blog complaining everyday. These are the same guys who are against a union at FxF but don't have a problem using their spouses Union benefits or pay. The freight is there no one should have to stay at home so a driver can work. I know a few drivers that had to draw unemployment benefits because they sit at home for so long they had to do something to bring in income. How many driver have been layed off or had to transfer because there was no longer a position for them? It wasn't because the freight wasn't there it was because the company close to use PT. I know you kool aid drinkers don't want to hear this but the company needs to take care of its drivers. That's means getting them out first, and making sure every company driver works before any PT does. Quit being hypocrites you know if your ass was sitting at home you wouldn't like it and you know it.
Freight levels drop for EVERY LTL company during the winter months, it's just part of the industry. What you fail to realize is that most of us sat at home at one point or another, it's one of the cons of being on the lower side of the road board. I, myself, sat at home during my first winter on the road board and that was before we used PT.
True, no one wants anybody to sit at home, but when the runs aren't there, the dock is always an option. They will let a full time driver pound the patio and ask a part timer to sit at home. Does any driver want to work the dock? No, but it's better than sitting at home.
If you're using sitting at home during the winter months as your argument for supporting the union, then that would've happened many moons ago. You also fail to realize that those same union companies that you endorse also use PT and they also have drivers who work the dock or sit at home during the winter months.
I don't like the use of PT any more than the next guy but the fact remains they're a necessary evil.

I wonder if the cost to replace those who quit, is factored into the cost effectiveness of using P/T. I just do't know. I do know we've lost both city and road guys most every year due to lack of work. Everyone doesn't know they can "bump" part time dock. Not sure if that cost is significant enough to matter, or even what those numbers are. I would think FedEx has at least considered that part of the equation. Again, I just don't know.

I know our center has operated at 115-125% for the last 2 winters. That is 15% to 25% above capacity when the slow season hits.

I wonder if the customer knows they're paying for Fedex when they're getting swift!
A customer at my center found out their freight was moving with US Express and they pulled all of their freight. The usually sent out two or three vans a day. Manager said he was glad to see them go cuz we didnt make any money on the freight anyway.

A customer at my center found out their freight was moving with US Express and they pulled all of their freight. The usually sent out two or three vans a day. Manager said he was glad to see them go cuz we didnt make any money on the freight anyway.
Sounds kinda like positive spin

Sounds kinda like positive spin
I've heard there are customers in the system we could stand to lose. We've got one at our place that'll make a city man wait for 3 hours to unload a skid. Our city men aren't hourly, and FedEx claims they make no money on the freight most days. The contractor loses money on the day due to no picks and drops, FedEx shrugs.

Then they wonder why they don't have enough trucks during peak season. Guys are giving up in droves around here. If Contractor Relations cared about the growing stack of plates on the desk, something might be done.

Freight levels drop for EVERY LTL company during the winter months, it's just part of the industry. What you fail to realize is that most of us sat at home at one point or another, it's one of the cons of being on the lower side of the road board. I, myself, sat at home during my first winter on the road board and that was before we used PT.
True, no one wants anybody to sit at home, but when the runs aren't there, the dock is always an option. They will let a full time driver pound the patio and ask a part timer to sit at home. Does any driver want to work the dock? No, but it's better than sitting at home.
If you're using sitting at home during the winter months as your argument for supporting the union, then that would've happened many moons ago. You also fail to realize that those same union companies that you endorse also use PT and they also have drivers who work the dock or sit at home during the winter months.
I don't like the use of PT any more than the next guy but the fact remains they're a necessary evil.
Yeah right, if Freddy didn't make money somewhere in the transaction either the rate would go up or they would dump it.

Maybe, the PT are always running while our drivers sit, even when it's slow, because PT has a contract and our driver doesn't.

Maybe, the PT are always running while our drivers sit, even when it's slow, because PT has a contract and our driver doesn't.
The company has many contracts with many companies....would you like to come in and assume the job of the cleaning service and clean the toilets instead of sitting at home since they have a contract as well?

The company has many contracts with many companies....would you like to come in and assume the job of the cleaning service and clean the toilets instead of sitting at home since they have a contract as well?
Freddie could do with one more less contract and contract your cleaning service to drivers waiting on loads !

Freddie could do with one more less contract and contract your cleaning service to drivers waiting on loads !
If those with the cleaning service have the proper credentials, then they could possible drive for one of the PT's or even Freddie...on the other hand, Freddie and the PT probably have some drivers that wouldn't qualify for cleaning those said toilets.

Last edited:
Brown noser , sorry Redracer, that is the stupidest thing I have ever seen posted. How the hell does that even compare? If I worked as a janitor for FedEx Freight and a contract cleaning company was doing my job then yes. These PT companies have a contract and they will run. They are also the first to go while our drivers are being delayed for 2 or more hours. Step your game up and start comparing apples to apples.

The company has a lot of third party contracts. Maybe it's time for its own drivers to have a contract.

Brown noser , sorry Redracer, that is the stupidest thing I have ever seen posted. How the hell does that even compare? If I worked as a janitor for FedEx Freight and a contract cleaning company was doing my job then yes. These PT companies have a contract and they will run. They are also the first to go while our drivers are being delayed for 2 or more hours. Step your game up and start comparing apples to apples.
Apples to apples....what do you expect the company to do....hire 30-40 more drivers per hub to cover road runs during April-Dec that the PT/city drivers cover?
Wouldn't that cause even more drivers to sit at home Jan-Mar?
Again, I'm not a fan of PT but they are a necessary evil.