FedEx Freight | Purchase Transportation

Apples to apples....what do you expect the company to do....hire 30-40 more drivers per hub to cover road runs during April-Dec that the PT/city drivers cover?
Wouldn't that cause even more drivers to sit at home Jan-Mar?
Again, I'm not a fan of PT but they are a necessary evil.
This is what expect. I don't think it's to much to ask that our drivers get loaded first. After we get out then you use as many PT as necessary. Is that to much ask for. Work the people you hired first.

This is what expect. I don't think it's to much to ask that our drivers get loaded first. After we get out then you use as many PT as necessary. Is that to much ask for. Work the people you hired first.
PT have gate times just like we do.
They hired PT as well, they're working us both in unison...their trailers are loaded at the same time as ours. They generally haul proper frt whereas we haul group frt. If the proper frt comes down the dock first, they're closed first, it isn't rocket science. Group frt carriers more of a priority b/c it needs to get to the hub ASAP, proper frt has to be there before the inbound gets done so the city guys can deliver.

They hired PT as well, they're working us both in unison...their trailers are loaded at the same time as ours. They generally haul proper frt whereas we haul group frt. If the proper frt comes down the dock first, they're closed first, it isn't rocket science. Group frt carriers more of a priority b/c it needs to get to the hub ASAP, proper frt has to be there before the inbound gets done so the city guys can deliver.
You need to quit acting like you know what you are talking about. I am a road driver and go to a hub where we have to load the PTs first to at least 35000 and then we get what ever is left over. Our last day meet is canceled at least 3 or 4 times a week. The canceled driver can't run the extra board at nite because he has to protect his AM bid. And I pull empties back from the hub every nite. Now central has a new policy, left over freight does not go on a pup it goes on PT and that partial loaded PT goes to another terminal and finishes getting loaded and then continues on to Texas. It won't be long until meets and long hub turns are all on PTs.

If it is your freight you should be running first then anything left goes to PT. The main reason for PT was to supplement the linehaul and roadwork when needed. Now its in place and the company is running and abusing its usage like they bidded on runs some guys used to run. Company would rather sit guys home and run PT instead. Is it right? Hell no its not right but what recourse is there for you to do. Funny how you want to allow this to happen cause it doesn't affect you now but if you get cancelled out don't come crying cause PT is taking your work away now would you?. I'm just saying.......

I have never read that a driver has to protect their bid. I thought that was a phrase day drivers made up to keep from being forced onto nights.
The driver has begged to run off the extra board on the PM. He even called human resources. HR and someone in Harrison said if he was cancelled on Monday AM he could run Monday PM but had to be avilable for is Wednesday AM run. And the pattern continues for the rest of the week, but manager said if he did that for him he would have to do it for the cancelled PM drivers and it would cause a mess so he won't allow it.

The driver has begged to run off the extra board on the PM. He even called human resources. HR and someone in Harrison said if he was cancelled on Monday AM he could run Monday PM but had to be avilable for is Wednesday AM run. And the pattern continues for the rest of the week, but manager said if he did that for him he would have to do it for the cancelled PM drivers and it would cause a mess so he won't allow it.
Sound like the manager is to damn lazy to do his job and just says screw the drivers.

You need to quit acting like you know what you are talking about. I am a road driver and go to a hub where we have to load the PTs first to at least 35000 and then we get what ever is left over. Our last day meet is canceled at least 3 or 4 times a week. The canceled driver can't run the extra board at nite because he has to protect his AM bid. And I pull empties back from the hub every nite. Now central has a new policy, left over freight does not go on a pup it goes on PT and that partial loaded PT goes to another terminal and finishes getting loaded and then continues on to Texas. It won't be long until meets and long hub turns are all on PTs.
No acting, I know. I work at a hub, not a satellite such as yourself.
Central Dispatch makes the decision as to when to use PT, not some local at the hub.
Your last day meet is cancelled due to the lack of frt coming from the other end, thus the use of PT...the company is NOT going to run empties when they don't have to, it's not cost effective.
When a bid is cancelled, that driver dovetails onto the extra board wherever his seniority places him. You CAN run PM to AM and vice versa, it happens all the time. Management doesn't like it b/c it creates more work for them, but it does happen at our center.
Did you pull freight to the hub? I guessing yes, otherwise you would've been cancelled also.
Do you work the dock when you get there?
Never heard of this "new policy", doesn't happen at the hubs. Very rarely does a PT leave and not be fully loaded, but I can't speak for satellites.

If it is your freight you should be running first then anything left goes to PT. The main reason for PT was to supplement the linehaul and roadwork when needed. Now its in place and the company is running and abusing its usage like they bidded on runs some guys used to run. Company would rather sit guys home and run PT instead. Is it right? Hell no its not right but what recourse is there for you to do. Funny how you want to allow this to happen cause it doesn't affect you now but if you get cancelled out don't come crying cause PT is taking your work away now would you?. I'm just saying.......
I've said before, I used to sit at home when I was on the lower portion of the board...long before we used PT.
What was the excuse then?
Are you even employed here...your comments on how you think things are supposed to work suggest otherwise.

Sounds like the drivers are to lazy to look up company policies, they'd rather complain about management trying to screw somebody.
Did you not read the post he got HR and Harrison involved and nothing changed. He can't force them to dispatch him. But I'm sure you will continue to call the drivers lazy and side with Fedex.

Sounds like the drivers are to lazy to look up company policies, they'd rather complain about management trying to screw somebody.
Ok I will say this really slow so you u n d e r s t a n d the d r i v e r called HR but the lazy m a n a g e r still did not do it the way he is suppose to. READ THE DAMN POST THE DRIVER IS NOT THE LAZY ONE.

No acting, I know. I work at a hub, not a satellite such as yourself.
Central Dispatch makes the decision as to when to use PT, not some local at the hub.
Your last day meet is cancelled due to the lack of frt coming from the other end, thus the use of PT...the company is NOT going to run empties when they don't have to, it's not cost effective.
When a bid is cancelled, that driver dovetails onto the extra board wherever his seniority places him. You CAN run PM to AM and vice versa, it happens all the time. Management doesn't like it b/c it creates more work for them, but it does happen at our center.
Did you pull freight to the hub? I guessing yes, otherwise you would've been cancelled also.
Do you work the dock when you get there?
Never heard of this "new policy", doesn't happen at the hubs. Very rarely does a PT leave and not be fully loaded, but I can't speak for satellites.
The meet drivers tell us there are two trailers to run the last bid but after it is cancelled they swing the trailers to a PT. This new policy started after the first of the year. Yes I work the dock at the hub I go to. We are the ones who have to load the PTs. OM wants them 40000 but will allow 35000 if we don't meet goal we have to strip them while a supervisor stands there and tells you how to load to meet goal.

The meet drivers tell us there are two trailers to run the last bid but after it is cancelled they swing the trailers to a PT. This new policy started after the first of the year. Yes I work the dock at the hub I go to. We are the ones who have to load the PTs. OM wants them 40000 but will allow 35000 if we don't meet goal we have to strip them while a supervisor stands there and tells you how to load to meet goal.
Running a PT in the same lane going to the same destination as a company driver is ludicrous, are you sure they aren't pulling your leg?
Not saying your right or wrong but at our hub, the drivers work the hub (their freight), dockworkers work the mainline which includes PT, the outbound, and the inbound. The only time a driver would load a PT is if he was breaking a trl that had freight destined for the PT, then he would only load that piece of freight....but then our hub is almost 300 doors so things could be different elsewhere.
I can understand the importance of loading PT high and tight, or every trl for that matter.

Ok I will say this really slow so you u n d e r s t a n d the d r i v e r called HR but the lazy m a n a g e r still did not do it the way he is suppose to. READ THE DAMN POST THE DRIVER IS NOT THE LAZY ONE.
With the company policy in hand, the manager, HR, or HRO would have no choice but to honor the policy...it's that simple.
Maybe the driver is to lazy to obtain a copy of the policy, it's not that hard!

Running a PT in the same lane going to the same destination as a company driver is ludicrous, are you sure they aren't pulling your leg?
Not saying your right or wrong but at our hub, the drivers work the hub (their freight), dockworkers work the mainline which includes PT, the outbound, and the inbound. The only time a driver would load a PT is if he was breaking a trl that had freight destined for the PT, then he would only load that piece of freight....but then our hub is almost 300 doors so things could be different elsewhere.
I can understand the importance of loading PT high and tight, or every trl for that matter.
Well just like everything at FedEx it is different every where you go. Is pulling PT both ways really that crazy? Still saving money.

Last edited:
Well just like everything at FedEx it is different every where you go. Is pulling PT both ways really that crazy? Still saving money.
I'll not deny that running PT both ways doesn't happen but it's usually in the summer months when we're slammed, if it happens.
During the winter months, they run when we only have freight running one way in a lane, thus canceling the need to run empties on one side. It should be the same during the summer months but sometimes when we're short on drivers it does happen.

AGAIN, I DON'T LIKE PT ANYMORE THAN THE NEXT DRIVER, but they are a necessary evil...otherwise we'd have to hire 30-40 more drivers per hub, then there'd be that many more drivers sitting at home during the winter.

HMMMM I work at a major hub and a PT does run right along side of us. It runs to Birmingham and back to Columbus five days a week. Lots of times the second run was cancelled because of the PT. We have bid runs that meet the Birmingham meet so whats with the PT at this point. could easily create a 3rd meet and turn.