SAIA | Putting lipstick on a pig

Brother Trucker

TB Regular
Credits
As the numbers for the 4th quarter were dismal, its been told this poster that we are really gonna tighten up and become more efficient.

In practical terms it means it gives management open season on the non managerial personnel with write ups for any and all infractions however minor or major they may be.

I guess we can plan on the claims ratio skyrocketing and accidents of all kinds to increase because of rush rush, hurry hurry.

Your comments?

As the numbers for the 4th quarter were dismal, its been told this poster that we are really gonna tighten up and become more efficient.

In practical terms it means it gives management open season on the non managerial personnel with write ups for any and all infractions however minor or major they may be.

I guess we can plan on the claims ratio skyrocketing and accidents of all kinds to increase because of rush rush, hurry hurry.

Your comments?

This is why sometimes I think I could be "management". Then I smack myself because I have been there before. Not in trucking but other biz. It seems to be the trend lately to put any kind of company loss onto the linehaul/road driver. I guess that is what they are dreaming of while they are sleeping at night at home with their family, snuggled up with the wife. Come into work, pissed off, no coffee yet, blame the piece of dirt road driver. After all, hes just sucking the company dry moving the freight 600 miles while I slept, He is to tired to notice i'm pissed at him, we'll just make the numbers make them look bad. Hey lets use there truck in the city too, burn the fuel, crash in the plastic/bumper and charge it all to linehaul. If he *****es we'll just call him a crybaby road driver and move on. Maybe we can even charge him with a preventable because his tractor is all wrecked up!!:nutkick:

This is why sometimes I think I could be "management". Then I smack myself because I have been there before. Not in trucking but other biz. It seems to be the trend lately to put any kind of company loss onto the linehaul/road driver. I guess that is what they are dreaming of while they are sleeping at night at home with their family, snuggled up with the wife. Come into work, pissed off, no coffee yet, blame the piece of dirt road driver. After all, hes just sucking the company dry moving the freight 600 miles while I slept, He is to tired to notice i'm pissed at him, we'll just make the numbers make them look bad. Hey lets use there truck in the city too, burn the fuel, crash in the plastic/bumper and charge it all to linehaul. If he *****es we'll just call him a crybaby road driver and move on. Maybe we can even charge him with a preventable because his tractor is all wrecked up!!:nutkick:

maybe city drivers would work faster if they had some incentive. when i first started i would work quickly and what was i greeted with upon returning? a new manifest to go pick up more freight or to go sit at a grocery warehouse till 9pm when i came in at 7. needless to say..i slowed down. now in linehaul i don't care about my #'s anymore. why should i hurry to CLT so the freight can be broke and make service if i will have to wait anyway? even when i was in the system it didn't bother me. i do not spend time in truckstops or on ramps taking naps, but if i need a nap or i'm hungry i'm damn sure gonna stop. this company is focusing too much on the numbers anyway....my TM gets his *** chewed every morning over some stupid crap he has nothing to do with. now rick o dell's new kick is reweigh the ::shit:: out of the frieght we are getting so we can make extra revenue. what happens then? the shipped gets tired of getting an extra bill for increased freight crarges b/c of reweighing and quits shipping with us.

maybe city drivers would work faster if they had some incentive. when i first started i would work quickly and what was i greeted with upon returning? a new manifest to go pick up more freight or to go sit at a grocery warehouse till 9pm when i came in at 7. needless to say..i slowed down. now in linehaul i don't care about my #'s anymore. why should i hurry to CLT so the freight can be broke and make service if i will have to wait anyway? even when i was in the system it didn't bother me. i do not spend time in truckstops or on ramps taking naps, but if i need a nap or i'm hungry i'm damn sure gonna stop. this company is focusing too much on the numbers anyway....my TM gets his *** chewed every morning over some stupid crap he has nothing to do with. now rick o dell's new kick is reweigh the ::shit:: out of the frieght we are getting so we can make extra revenue. what happens then? the shipped gets tired of getting an extra bill for increased freight crarges b/c of reweighing and quits shipping with us.

i see your point but my incentive in linehaul is to get where I am going and maybe extend my tour.(along with the piece of mind of on time service). Our dispatch is first in first out so maybe thats where I get that. I know that the final delivery comes down to local dispatch and delivery but it makes me feel better to do what i am suposed to do even though I know it wont be on time in all likelyhood. I agree with the naps and such 100%:Zzzz: Dont worry, I would never want to steal your city job from you. You are home every day and I dont think my wife would appreciate that.:argue:

Saia management needs a refresher course!! I think no matter where you go to college and take a business class basic fundamentals are taught! From what I remember when employees are happy and treated fairly they work harder!! When management and employees work together a loyalty develops and more gets accomplished!! I thinks at SAIA UNIVERSITY the basics are skipped!!

Saia management needs a refresher course!! I think no matter where you go to college and take a business class basic fundamentals are taught! From what I remember when employees are happy and treated fairly they work harder!! When management and employees work together a loyalty develops and more gets accomplished!! I thinks at SAIA UNIVERSITY the basics are skipped!!
Sounds like the same school that YRCW's Management go to. OOOOP"S Different company same owner! I see Orange trucks in your future!:chairshot:

i see your point but my incentive in linehaul is to get where I am going and maybe extend my tour.(along with the piece of mind of on time service). Our dispatch is first in first out so maybe thats where I get that. I know that the final delivery comes down to local dispatch and delivery but it makes me feel better to do what i am suposed to do even though I know it wont be on time in all likelyhood. I agree with the naps and such 100%:Zzzz: Dont worry, I would never want to steal your city job from you. You are home every day and I dont think my wife would appreciate that.:argue:

i'm a linehaul driver, but i'm still home everyday. to hit on Chicken's point...our outbound supervisor went up to CLV for supervisor training. a few weeks later, we layed off some people...the "Saia U." instructor was the one that got laid off. i guess the moral of the story is the better you are and the harder you work, the more likely you are to get fired.

What do you mean same owner? You are confused or in a time warp.:hide:

YRC upper managment still owns a :shit:load of Saia stock. correct me if i'm wrong please, but here is story. when YRC sold us and Jevic, the shareholders got some SCS transportation stock. i think each shareholder got 1/3 of a share or something like that. maybe someone else can explain the story in more depth.

All management sees are the numbers on the report. They have in mind where they want the numbers to be and will do what it takes to get those numbers to that point.

However, there is little consideration, as seen from this side of the fence, as to the human side of the story. The numbers assume a perfect world where everything is right the first time and no do overs are necessary. The world I work in is rarely so.

So doing what it takes to make the numbers look good is like putting lipstick on a pig. It may dress a pig up, but it is still a pig.

All management sees are the numbers on the report. They have in mind where they want the numbers to be and will do what it takes to get those numbers to that point.

However, there is little consideration, as seen from this side of the fence, as to the human side of the story. The numbers assume a perfect world where everything is right the first time and no do overs are necessary. The world I work in is rarely so.

So doing what it takes to make the numbers look good is like putting lipstick on a pig. It may dress a pig up, but it is still a pig.

It is amazing that with every downfall it is the drivers fault. I have even seen and heard TM's finger pointing and badmothing linehaul drivers for one thing and the next day do the same to city drivers. Both sets of drivers were doing EXACTLY as Corp said do but yet the fault is placed squarely on the drivers. But let load average go up, city deliveries go up WITHOUT exceptions, or let linehaul make a record setting run and who TAKES the credit?? Corporate. Or should I say CORPORAPE. Why don't these bunch of over educated phone abusing desk riding no decission making morons get out of their office and get in the trucks, ride with a different driver EVERY DAY for 30 days, moving freight on and off the truck, missing deliveries and pick ups, not having lunch breaks, then rolling back to the terminal to go switch out trailer or work the dock? Oh wait. I forgot. Then they would have a clue as to why things don't work and would see that if they are not there to create havock, hate and discontent, they would not be needed. Fire all the drivers and see how long you have a trucking company. None of us are doing good enough so fire us all at one time. If you want a good company make it easier for your employees actually doing the work to do the work. Stop tying our hands behind our back. You have to spend money to make money. You can not make a living saving money.:chairshot::chairshot::chairshot:

If were strugling right now,Why did CLT just hire an operations mngr??? He will be working the outbound at night.Now we have a TM,ATM,and an OPM.Little top heavy,Ya think.I believe the ops mngr is a wast of money for the company .Man who keeps messin with my reputaion?? I think i'm a pretty likable and courtious person.Oh ya, and pretty lovable too.

If were strugling right now,Why did CLT just hire an operations mngr??? He will be working the outbound at night.Now we have a TM,ATM,and an OPM.Little top heavy,Ya think.I believe the ops mngr is a wast of money for the company .Man who keeps messin with my reputaion?? I think i'm a pretty likable and courtious person.Oh ya, and pretty lovable too.

dunno bud..no one gives me rep either way. ontopic though...i don't think i've met him. the only new person i've met is Krispy. that new ATM seems like all he is good for is checking to see if you have a badge on. ***...

New guy usually knows the last thing he was told. I'm running into that w/ central dispatch now. The right hand and left hand are starting to give each other the "California howdy" now.

Anybody noticed that runs are starting to be eliminated? Is this a result of the college boys and their studies?

one of our runs was cut officially last week. they brought that run on so our next day BHM freight would make service....a year later they cut it b/c some times the BHM and MPS trailers would fill in GVL, and sometimes they wouldnt. but the frieght was making service and in the case of the MPS loads, it was ahead. I guess load factor and cubic ft. percentage is more important than making sure our customers' freight gets there on time eh?

BrotherTrucker, i think the new cubic foot goal thingy was brought on by the GA tech people. if you are un sure as to what i mean, talk to the dock supervisors and see how much grief they are getting if a trailer doesn't show enough cu. ft. on it.