R&L | R&L Carriers good Company to work for?

brickhead

TB Lurker
Credits
Evening all

R&L carriers is looking for linehaul drivers at their Elgin,Il. terminal. Just sent off my resume to them.i currently have 3yrs. local driving in P&D. pretty fed up the P&D and would rather do linehaul. I know it will more than likely be evening/night driving which im ok with. my other half seems to be ok but you know how they can be.she really prefers me to be home in the night.

starting pay would be somewhere around 21.00 per hour straight time. NO OT.

anybody got the good/bad on R&L Carriers?

Thx.

Good and bad? Okay.

For the most part, they try to maintain their equipment. I believe ELG uses Macks, which are all air-ride now. They are a little short in the horsepower department, but the co. sets them at 72.

They pay well, except the city drivers do make more than the road drivers. From what I've heard and read this is unusual, but I guess they should be paid better for what they have to put up with.

If you're going there to do linehaul, be prepared to share a truck.

Linehaulers are not subject to dockwork, but they are subject to city runs when they get back in the morning. You'll call on the radio for your doors, and someone will reply with this or that and "you have work". Of course, don't forget to swap your tractor for one that isn't assigned to a city driver before you leave on that city run.

Benefits are pretty good. They have three employee resorts. One in Pigeon Forge TN, one in Ft. Myers FL, and one in Daytona Beach FL. Lodging there is free, you just have to get there.

If you can tolerate the aforementioned crap, you may do well. Any questions?

They pay well, except the city drivers do make more than the road drivers. From what I've heard and read this is unusual, but I guess they should be paid better for what they have to put up with.

The city drivers should be paid better for all that we do on a daily basis.

Huh? City drivers make more than line haul up there in the great white north? That is unusual.
Not down here they don't, if ya break down my pay to an hourly basis, I make about $26.18 an hour. Not too shabby.

Brickhead, like anyplace you're ever gonna work, R&L has it's good and bad points. Research this forum and you'll find most of them, I'm not going to rehash them here and now.
But, if it means anything to ya, I've personally been with the company for 10 years now and am not going anyplace if I can help it.
Take it for what it's worth.......:smilie_132:

Well looks like i may be working with R&L.

just waiting on the drug test results to come back.

I'll be doing linehaul out of Chicago. Bottom of the list but thats ok. i'm sure there will be others coming in after me.

looking forward to working for R&L.

Welcome aboard brickhead. Hope you enjoy your stay...just make the best of it and you will be fine. It didnt take me long at all to go from the bottom to being within the top 10 in seniority. Some people can handle the pressure and some just cant. Wish you the best of luck.

4 Months Later

I hear R+L don't do background checks till you been employed over 4 months. Is this something that is the norm or is it the way a TM weeds out the people they don't like?

deliverfast said:
I hear R+L don't do background checks till you been employed over 4 months. Is this something that is the norm or is it the way a TM weeds out the people they don't like?
Where in the world did you hear that??? I have never heard of such a thing!!!!

Nah, I'm pretty sure the background check is done pre-employment. A new hire doesn't come off probation for 90 working days, which works out to be about 4 months. That's the only thing I can think of that has a 4 month window.

well just dont switch from one driving operation to another because you open your self up to be terminated if they missed something when they originally hired you. Better hope you didnt have any skeletons in the closet

deliverfast said:
I belive it's true... Never have said anything about it... Just one of those things that doesn't need to be out in the open... But since it's out here i'll add my two cents... Few years back we had a new guy start. Sometime during his second week he was out on a peddle run when the driver got stopped:busted_blue: (random DOT inspection)... The guy gets cuffed and stuffed hauled off to jail... Turns out he had a warrant out for his arrest in FL. We figured he slipped under the radar... When a few drivers asked the TM what was up he said the company hadn't finished the background check:eek: You want more, keep posting more crap on here and i'm sure i'll have a story...:roll1:

rubber duck said:
I belive it's true... Never have said anything about it... Just one of those things that doesn't need to be out in the open... But since it's out here i'll add my two cents... Few years back we had a new guy start. Sometime during his second week he was out on a peddle run when the driver got stopped:busted_blue: (random DOT inspection)... The guy gets cuffed and stuffed hauled off to jail... Turns out he had a warrant out for his arrest in FL. We figured he slipped under the radar... When a few drivers asked the TM what was up he said the company hadn't finished the background check:eek: You want more, keep posting more crap on here and i'm sure i'll have a story...:roll1:
You always have a story!!!Come on, give us more!!!!!

Well I think its to their advantage. Gives the TM the power to fire someone based on a ticket 3yrs old. Then say its a safety thing so you don't get a peer review. Must be the R+L way.

deliverfast said:
Well I think its to their advantage. Gives the TM the power to fire someone based on a ticket 3yrs old. Then say its a safety thing so you don't get a peer review. Must be the R+L way.
Was the ticket put on the application??? Maybe the individual was trying to hide something if it wasn't... Thats grounds for termination...

bracface said:
You always have a story!!!Come on, give us more!!!!!
Thats all i have to say about that...:)

DrinksOldNo7 said:
The city drivers should be paid better for all that we do on a daily basis.

oh please lol, get better pay while they get thier hair cut or bang the young girl at one of their customers??

or get paid better because of thier mon-fri day shift?

They might get away with that where you work...but not at our terminal. We are shorthanded...averaging about 55-56 hours a week right now. No time for nothing!!!