R&L | R+L just bought the company we work for

mr+mrstrucker

TB Lurker
Credits
My husband and I have worked almost 20 years for IWX out of Springfield, MO and we just heard today that R+L bought the company. Does anyone here know what routes they will be running from here? I'm assuming they also got our terminals in Kingman, AZ, Columbus, IN, and Ft. Worth, TX. We have been running relays from Springfield to Kingman for almost 15 years because we could work three weeks and then take a week off. I'm guessing that will go by the wayside now. What are R+L's policies regarding home time?

How much do they pay their drivers, and is it per mile or per trip? I see on their website they have paid holidays and sick days--does this apply to drivers also? What about insurance--do they pay most of it? Right now, we pay $15 a week, but the first $3000 (per person) comes out of our pockets outright, and then they pay 80%-we pay 20% until another $2000 is paid by us. After we have spent $5000 each out-of-pocket, they pay 100%. In other words, it's only really good if you have some kind of major medical event.

We've been here long enough that we get four weeks paid vacation. Is there any chance that our seniority will roll over to R+L or will we be starting at the bottom?

Sorry for all the questions, but it's worrisome when stuff like this happens. We've been through it twice before and both times the situation changed for the worst. We're hoping it will be better this time.

Thanks!

A friend of mine here at BigR worked at IWX told me of the buy-out rumor his wife works in the office they are a little concerned on her future.. Personally I can't figure out why they want a reefer carrier.Unless things in California are slow for them and maybe this is a win win right now.You guy's can haul thier freight out and produce back at least they have an option instead of more going out than coming back..I think for you folks at IWX it will be a good deal probably cheaper health insurance and maybe a few other perks you do not have yet..Enjoy the ride R+L is a first rate company..At least that is my opinion of them.

Thanks for the response tramp1155. I guess it's not a rumor anymore as we heard it from our fleet manager this morning. He, like your friend's wife, is worried about his job too.

The "takeover" I guess is supposed to happen in 60 days, so that would be around Christmas. I'm pretty sure they (R+L) will keep us on. We have over 17 years with IWX and only one minor accident during that time. (My husband was backing our tractor out of a parking space at the terminal and caught the mirror of the truck parked next to us.) I've got over 19 years experience and he has about 24. I'm pretty sure if they don't want us, we wouldn't have any trouble finding a job somewhere else.

Hmmm, kinda interesting!
Not sure what it means, but IWX trucks are on our yard daily anymore bringing in freight.
I do know that the California terminals are rapidly becoming too small for all the freight we're bringing in.
Not sure how you'll be brought into the operation though.

To answer a couple of questions...

Time off for most of the teams is weekly, it's pretty rare a team gets stuck out over the weekend,
but I suspect it does happen.

Sick/personal days, holiday and vacation pay does apply to everyone, including drivers.

Insurance runs us $20 a week for health, vision and dental.
Co-pay when you go to the doctor is $15.
Deductible is I think, $100 for individual and $300 for families.
Max out of pocket expenses are $400 per person in network, $800 max out of network.
Lots of doctors in the network, never had a problem there.
Got a prescription card too, covers like 80% of cost on meds.
It sounds like it will be a much better plan for ya...

I dunno how the vacation seniority would be handled for ya'll.
For us it's year 1-2 get 1 week, 3-10 get 2 weeks 10-15 get 3 weeks and 15+ get 4 weeks.

Hope I helped and welcome to the family!

Thanks TruckDriver, for the welcome and for answering some of my questions!

I know IWX has been running some loads from Albuquerque to Montebello, CA but we haven't personally pulled any yet. They had a big sign up about Oct. 1 that said there would be extra pay for pulling doubles. We both have the doubles/triples endorsement on our licenses, but it's been 20 years since we've pulled any! That should be fun! :whistling:

Oh well, I guess we'll be finding out more in the next couple months. I'm hoping it will be a change for the better and not the worse!

Where are the IWX trucks bringing the freight from to you? I hope they are handling overflow or maybe an imbalanced lane.
That is what I am thinking myself....Say you got a satellite in Garden City Kansas or close Send IWX with that freight and they can backhaul meat for Tyson which pays decent for trucklaod freight..Figured you guy's would have bought a dry-van outfit but realistically a reefer one is a smarter move..

Where are the IWX trucks bringing the freight from to you? I hope they are handling overflow or maybe an imbalanced lane.

Night dock guys say most is coming in from WIL.
We get alot of outside carriers bringing in freight.
IWX, Landstar and some small company called Bullet Express. I've even seen LandSpan and Werner.

Do ya'll have that much more inbound than outbound or do they pull your freight out also? Hopefully this won't become an issue where we sit at home and the IWX trucks are running instead, like the mess over at Conway with CFI. We've had a couple of exConway drivers start over here lately because they were not getting to run, but only working the dock 4 or 5 hours loading freight on CFI trailers that they used to run themselves.

My husband and I have worked almost 20 years for IWX out of Springfield, MO and we just heard today that R+L bought the company. Does anyone here know what routes they will be running from here? I'm assuming they also got our terminals in Kingman, AZ, Columbus, IN, and Ft. Worth, TX. We have been running relays from Springfield to Kingman for almost 15 years because we could work three weeks and then take a week off. I'm guessing that will go by the wayside now. What are R+L's policies regarding home time?

How much do they pay their drivers, and is it per mile or per trip? I see on their website they have paid holidays and sick days--does this apply to drivers also? What about insurance--do they pay most of it? Right now, we pay $15 a week, but the first $3000 (per person) comes out of our pockets outright, and then they pay 80%-we pay 20% until another $2000 is paid by us. After we have spent $5000 each out-of-pocket, they pay 100%. In other words, it's only really good if you have some kind of major medical event.

We've been here long enough that we get four weeks paid vacation. Is there any chance that our seniority will roll over to R+L or will we be starting at the bottom?

Sorry for all the questions, but it's worrisome when stuff like this happens. We've been through it twice before and both times the situation changed for the worst. We're hoping it will be better this time.

Thanks!
You guys should be just fine if this is all true.. I don't think R&L would merge a TL carrier in with a LTL... Your pay shouldn't change but your ins. may change for the better... If your happy with IWX stay... The only real thing that may change is who signs your paycheck!!!!

Night dock guys say most is coming in from WIL.
We get alot of outside carriers bringing in freight.
IWX, Landstar and some small company called Bullet Express. I've even seen LandSpan and Werner.
Yea it sucks to see them run out the gate..... If they have that much freight there is no reason to let drivers sit at home.... Guess i'm not seeing the BIG picture.....
TD weren't the Werner trucks pulling a major account out of DAL... We used to get two a week haven't seen one in a while......

Do ya'll have that much more inbound than outbound or do they pull your freight out also?

They're coming in loaded, dropping at the dock and then picking up an empty out back and rolling back out the gate. Guess we've just got more freight coming in than going out.

Dunno about your terminal, but we're still busy as ever. P&D guys are getting plenty of hours
and our extra board L/H drivers are working nightly.

Me likes it when it's like this....:1036316054:

We have been Real busy in the East trying to keep the freight moving to the West coast . P+D drivers are getting all kinds of hours and the Line haul drivers are maxing out every week . :1036316054: I'm getting between 2700 and 2800 miles a week :funky: