FedEx Freight | Real Talk: How is the Union going to get you what you want?

SwampRatt,

I didn't miss your point. I understood it, agreed with it and therefore didn't debate it.

The point I chose to show is that you have to be careful what you wish for....kind of a live by the sword, die by the sword thing.

I also realize the good ol' company already went, but it is all relative. In my opinion you get the union in there and in the future you'll be longing for days like today.

The change "very, very recently" is what I alluded to in some other thread buried here as to the best case scenario. Scare the company into unionizing to the point that they change their treatment of employees without having to unionize. It's the only scenario that I see where BOTH SIDES WIN.

As many posts as I've made on this site that are anti-Teamster, I have never condoned the current treatment/atmosphere...rather offered my opinion that the Teamsters aren't the answer.

Actually we do agree, for the most part. I just don't feel comfortable letting the "brave " take the 1st steps, thereby getting us (some of) the benefits of representation, without backing them up when the time comes to vote. Since it HAS come to this point (no easy feat), I do think we should negotiate for better terms.

The only thing I can remember us getting "fixed" (on our own) in recent past, was the 1 minute Idle. Truck shut off after 1 minute of idle, causing nightmare scenarios on the street, traffic lights etc. They changed it to 3 minutes, but it took a while. Now, things are starting to change, fast. For the better? I think so...

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually we do agree, for the most part. I just don't feel comfortable letting the "brave " take the 1st steps, thereby getting us (some of) the benefits of representation, without backing them up when the time comes to vote. Since it HAS come to this point (no easy feat), I do think we should negotiate for better terms.

I get and respect that. It's not too different than when we were much younger and one of our buddies was going to do something stupid. You knew it might be painful, but you weren't going to let him do it alone. We made it, and you all will too, doesn't mean you might not look back and think "damn that was dumb"! But then ol' timers usually regret what they didn't do, more than the things they did.

Try it out, if it turns out to be a mistake you can always go elsewhere.

Yep, I just said that. Nobody hijacked my account.

So much ignorance/misinformation yet such little time...Let's break down these questions one by one. I know this person is trying to get a rise out of some folks and more than likely is one the 'brick wall' personalities I encounter on a day to day basis but I'm gonna give this a shot. I'll be using only facts and first hand information.

How will the Teamsters help? They will meet with FedEx and both parties are to bring forth "Good Faith", meaning FedEx can not put anything less than we currently have on the table as far as economical items (pay/insurances/pension/401k). The Teamsters also can not come to the table with outrageous demands. "Good Faith"

Attendance- I feel the current policy is fair aside from legitimate medical and/or family emergencies. In which case, you are subject to corrective action should you suffer a gross emergency. It's immoral and borderline illegal. When you work for FedEx, your life should revolve around FedEx and you are not entitled to have emergencies. I don't know about the rest of you guys but I work to live, not the other way around.

Safety- This new scorecard is designed to save face and purge senior drivers. They'd rather wash their hands of a good driver and throw him/her under the bus to seek public approval instead of backing up that driver should it be an honest to goodness accident or of no fault at all to the driver. I've personally seen this scenario played out at NHS. They threw a 20yr safe driver under the bus to wash their hands of liability, even in the face of multiple corroborating witnesses making the driver's 'not-at-fault' stance ironclad. Then in the same year a rookie driver fresh out of the apprentice program has a severe single vehicle (he was the only vehicle/person involved) accident but still has a job. That's fair to you, right? *hint of sarcasm*

Pay- This isn't even on my radar personally but I'm sure it is to those drivers in higher cost of living areas than I am in but I am at the second highest pay scale and they are at the lowest. The pay issue is not about the amount, it is about the uniformity.

Accountability- You as a driver have a pile of rules a mile high to live up to and the slightest slip up results in a coaching or corrective action. Management makes an oversight and all is well. Also fair, right? *another sprinkle of sarcasm*

Fine with you pension? Hah! I suggest you log into the PPA aka Porto-Potty-Account and find out what you're gonna be entitled to. You may be surprised, in the negative sense. FedEx corporate pension went down the drain with the introduction of the Portable Pension Account around 2006. They are putting in 1/6th of what they use to. Must be budget cuts to pay for upper management bonuses and salaries. After all, they deserve it. *should've ran out of sarcasm by now but haven't*

Healthcare- I elected the Premium plan this year as opposed to the consumer crap plan to keep the exact same deductables, %'s, and co-insurance. Even with the introduction of the health spending account that they put in place, my premiums went up 520% to cover a 3.7% tax paid to the affordable healthcare act. We pay 520% more because they had to shell out 3.7%...sure. See my thread from last year that breaks down all these numbers and triple check my figures. The quality of our healthcare is declining while the cost is rising. Educate yourself. I can't wait to see how much of this big raise is cancelled out by rising healthcare costs.

Discipline is handed out A La Carte at the major hubs. Management picks and chooses who is punished by what rule, and when, and to what degree. I wish I worked at one of the smaller centers where some drivers exclaim they're still treated like humans and things are handled fairly across the board.

Lay out some facts as to why the Teamsters wouldn't do us any good and I will be more than happy to correct your next batch of misinformation and naivety. If you work at a smaller terminal where everything is sunshine and rainbows, I salute you. But if that truly is the case, let us guys getting crapped on handle our business our way and you can handle your own, since you work at the Harrison Utopia.

The RCH driver was brought back at the onset of the union scare vis a vis revisions to the driver scorecard.

Go be an electrician, then you'll be a Professional in that area with better pay. UPSF starts lower than we do but takes four years to attain top rate. FedEx is kind of unique in the way that you make top rate after only one year.

I have seen equal amounts of drivers get canned in relation to members of 'leadership'. This is at the 2nd highest bill count facility in the FXFE system, YMMV.

Lunch violations are just severely petty things that industrial engineers making six figures decided looked really good on a computer screen and enable supervisors to get on a power trip about petty garbage.

Get fired for a DUI. We are, after all, professionals.
Remember my reference to being a professional electrician? Let's compare apples to apples. Let's say you are using your electrician skills on your off time and something semi catostrophic happens. Are you stripped of your job because you made a mistake in judgement when wiring your buddy's new washer and dryer lines causing a couple thousand in fire damage? You would be, after all, a professional and held to a higher standard in the electrician community. Correct?

This is all up to management/hub discretion, sorry to let you in on that one.

At our center, the only computer we had access to as drivers was conveniently down for six months. When asking a member of leadership for a copy of the employee/driver manual, you'd get some severely ridiculous excuse about 'they're low on paper' or 'ask later when they're not busy' or 'we'll look into that'.

What's so wrong with third party representation? FedEx doesn't move freight without a contract with the customer. Why is it too much for drivers to ask for a contract from FedEx? Speaking of third parties, we would have a say as to how much work is outsourced on PT's and the rail. You probably don't care about that since you seem to be a city driver. Selfish...most anti union people have selfish motives. Loss of favoritism, don't see how it may benefit them but watch as co workers get railroaded out of jobs and road drivers sitting at home while Norfolk Southern and an endless list of substandard third party carriers haul our freight. Maybe you might care if they started contracting out P&D work. smh

Fight to keep them out of your wallet? Were you this passionate when we got our wallets ***** for last years premium/benefits hike? I highly doubt it. Did you even attend the presentation they held? It was also given by a third party firm. They dodged all my questions, even when I spelled it out so a kindergartener could understand my math...all while the naive sheep ate it up and looked at me like I had three heads.

...to be contiued...cut off by character limit...

couldn;t have said it any better your the man. purchase drivers and the rail are under contract with fedex why can't we do the same. just saying

I am really done with this thread. You conveniently brushed off my 'common denominator' line. You have worked at several hubs? One of the magnitude of CGT or NHS? Didn't think so, stifle it fanboy.

renegade169 don't pay him no mind all he is doing is trying to get under your skin. I read his bs and its funny.if I was freds lap boy or what ever else he does for fred I would be doing the same thing lol.but thank god i'm not i'm a man with my on rights and I will not let some kiss a-- like gk win. he is nothing but trash and I know we are all bigger men and women on here doing what is right for us and are families. GO UNION. **** on the purple promise.

speaking of towmotors how about pallet jacks? does anybody else but me remember signing paper that we can't pull on a pallet jack but can only PUSH. how are city drivers suppose to get the freight off their trailers if they don't pull first? just asking.same old stupid safety rules they came up with but I love this rule you ask why cause when working the dock and there are no towmotors available I cant get a pallet jack and pull freight off I must holler 1 TIME LOL

speaking of towmotors how about pallet jacks? does anybody else but me remember signing paper that we can't pull on a pallet jack but can only PUSH. how are city drivers suppose to get the freight off their trailers if they don't pull first? just asking.same old stupid safety rules they came up with but I love this rule you ask why cause when working the dock and there are no towmotors available I cant get a pallet jack and pull freight off I must holler 1 TIME LOL

you are a joke, if you had listened it is not a rule . it is suggestion to do it that way because there is less chance of a back injury!

I worked for a union location for 20 years and all I ever saw the union do was use our dues to pay the union attorneys to protect guys who should have been fired in the first place.
Oh and mismanage the pension funds to the point where they are almost insolvent!

I worked for a union location for 20 years and all I ever saw the union do was use our dues to pay the union attorneys to protect guys who should have been fired in the first place.
Oh and mismanage the pension funds to the point where they are almost insolvent!

Which police union were you in? I have friends that have retired with 25 years in the police union. You must have a pretty nice 20 year union pension...........correct?

Good morning. At my center we have a monthly meeting with the tm. We sign a "sign in sheet". Does anyone know if it's for "attendance" or is it an automatic "coaching session" without us knowing it. If it is a "coaching session" then I believe it could be entrapment