FedEx Freight | Real Talk: How is the Union going to get you what you want?

You can't even get past the first question without disguising your opinion as fact. NLRB has not historically utilized your definition of "GOOD FAITH"...see current RETL/YRC Regional contract as an example of folks walking away with less than they had before they were union.

More opinion presented as fact. Union contracts don't give everybody with the same time in and job description the same wage. They can vary within the same general regional area.

Why should the guy who lives in the Bay area be forced to commute hours everyday and live a minimalist lifestyle on the same wage that his brother in Baton Rouge is living like a king? Wages should be based on cost of living in that area and what the regional employment market dictates. Why do you think McDonald's is paying more than $15/hr in North Dakota and $7/hr in Atlanta? Should they both me making $7? Why do both deserve $15?

That speaks volumes about your victim mentality / employer shall provide. You obviously have a computer and access to the internet. Look up whatever information you want.

You dumb ass you have to be a TM because are policies are not on a regular internet site... It's on fedex intranet... You obviously have access to it outside of work... We don't care about ABF, YRC, USPF, etc. We care about us and what's going on at are barns the brothers that we talk to and work with everyday right now!

I see a lot of talk about these topics so I am curious as to how the Union will help?

Attendance.
I am a fan of the 180 day rolling attendance. I don't see how it can get any better?

Safety.
I think the latest scorecard is fair, no? If you don't think so then How would YOU want it to be laid out?

Pay
When I applied at competitive companies, FedEx had better wages...

Accountable
If you misload a shipment / drop trailer / ect, a steward won't save us from getting written up. Everyone is held accountable.
Why are you guys responding to this. They are trolling for information. They are obviously Management.

Attendance- I feel the current policy is fair aside from legitimate medical and/or family emergencies. In which case, you are subject to corrective action should you suffer a gross emergency. It's immoral and borderline illegal. When you work for FedEx, your life should revolve around FedEx and you are not entitled to have emergencies. I don't know about the rest of you guys but I work to live, not the other way around.
Subjuect to corrective action for a gross emergency? How so...

Safety- This new scorecard is designed to save face and purge senior drivers.
Where do you get this stuff? lol

Accountability- You as a driver have a pile of rules a mile high to live up to and the slightest slip up results in a coaching or corrective action. Management makes an oversight and all is well. Also fair, right? *another sprinkle of sarcasm*
The rules are not bad at all. What rules do you want changed?

Fine with you pension? Hah! I suggest you log into the PPA aka Porto-Potty-Account and find out what you're gonna be entitled to. You may be surprised, in the negative sense. FedEx corporate pension went down the drain with the introduction of the Portable Pension Account around 2006. They are putting in 1/6th of what they use to. Must be budget cuts to pay for upper management bonuses and salaries. After all, they deserve it. *should've ran out of sarcasm by now but haven't*

How do you know if upper management got bonuses? Did they tell you specifically? We all know the road drivers make the most around here....

Healthcare- I elected the Premium plan this year as opposed to the consumer crap plan to keep the exact same deductables, %'s, and co-insurance. Even with the introduction of the health spending account that they put in place, my premiums went up 520% to cover a 3.7% tax paid to the affordable healthcare act. We pay 520% more because they had to shell out 3.7%...sure. See my thread from last year that breaks down all these numbers and triple check my figures. The quality of our healthcare is declining while the cost is rising. Educate yourself. I can't wait to see how much of this big raise is cancelled out by rising healthcare costs.

Healthcare is constantly on the rise. How is this new information??

Discipline is handed out A La Carte at the major hubs. Management picks and chooses who is punished by what rule, and when, and to what degree. I wish I worked at one of the smaller centers where some drivers exclaim they're still treated like humans and things are handled fairly across the board.

I've worked at several hub's and this isnt true. Once again, blowing smoke...

The RCH driver was brought back at the onset of the union scare vis a vis revisions to the driver scorecard.

But you can say, the policy did get reveresed because they heard everyones opinion..
I have seen equal amounts of drivers get canned in relation to members of 'leadership'. This is at the 2nd highest bill count facility in the FXFE system, YMMV.

Lunch violations are just severely petty things that industrial engineers making six figures decided looked really good on a computer screen and enable supervisors to get on a power trip about petty garbage.
LOL. This is great!!

Remember my reference to being a professional electrician? Let's compare apples to apples. Let's say you are using your electrician skills on your off time and something semi catostrophic happens. Are you stripped of your job because you made a mistake in judgement when wiring your buddy's new washer and dryer lines causing a couple thousand in fire damage? You would be, after all, a professional and held to a higher standard in the electrician community. Correct?
All I am saying is, if you are SO UNHAPPY...there is the door, no?

What's so wrong with third party representation? FedEx doesn't move freight without a contract with the customer. Why is it too much for drivers to ask for a contract from FedEx? Speaking of third parties, we would have a say as to how much work is outsourced on PT's and the rail.
You've got to admit...This is a business FedEx is running. We must be profitable. If we keep running all this linehaul our prices will go up...and then our customers will go to competitors!!

You probably don't care about that since you seem to be a city driver.

Oh I do care...that is why I am here. NO UNION

What if they started paying you "Stop Time". You only get paid X amount of minutes per stop? Maybe then you'd care. This is the problem with nay sayers. It boils down to selfishness. I'm getting so disgusted breaking down this information for you so it's in an easy to digest, spoon fed form. Were you an only child? WTF dude?

That would be AWESOME!!! This means the guys who drag their feet all day would not get the same pay as me. I LOVE THIS IDEA!!!! keep them coming

Many of our raises didn't even keep up with the rate of inflation...meaning we have essentially lost money due to the fact that the price of everything has gone upwards disproportionately to our so-called 'raises'. Do you not follow financial news? Apparently not if you are 'fine with our pension'.

Our latest raise was fine by me. I don't live outside my means. I am happy-go-lucky! Maybe you need to watch the financial news more so your dollar can go farther...

We want rules that are ironclad. Not rules that apply to one guy but not another and yet are treated in a completely different manner than even another co-worker. An end to hub/management discretion.

I've worked at several hubs and I dont see this. You must be the guy in the break room the red shirt is always having to look after...

You were referring to FMLA. I know for a fact that you didn't go through the process and if you did, you must've been having some steamy relations with an HR director in Harrison. As mentioned by another poster, the hoops you are made to jump through for FMLA are borderline illegal and downright unethical. Busted on that one, fanboy.

15 minutes tops! Took paper to doctor, we went over it together...done and done. Pretty easy.

When you sign a union card? All that means is that you feel that your facility should have a right to a vote as to whether you and your co-workers need representation. Guys who sign cards can ultimately vote no and guys who didn't sign a card can ultimately vote yes. Go peddle that company/anti-union filth somewhere else where there are folks that are more uneducated and gullible than you are.

When you sign the union card...THE UNION SPEAKS FOR YOU!!!

I've tried to keep my mouth shut but some people's ignorance infuriates me. It's almost laughable, yet sad, that some people actually believe the manure that steadily flows from their own oral cavity.
LOL

15% per month to what? This first post is a complete load of BS

Subjuect to corrective action for a gross emergency? How so...

Where do you get this stuff? lol

The rules are not bad at all. What rules do you want changed?

How do you know if upper management got bonuses? Did they tell you specifically? We all know the road drivers make the most around here....

Healthcare is constantly on the rise. How is this new information??

I've worked at several hub's and this isnt true. Once again, blowing smoke...

But you can say, the policy did get reveresed because they heard everyones opinion..
I have seen equal amounts of drivers get canned in relation to members of 'leadership'. This is at the 2nd highest bill count facility in the FXFE system, YMMV.

LOL. This is great!!

All I am saying is, if you are SO UNHAPPY...there is the door, no?

You've got to admit...This is a business FedEx is running. We must be profitable. If we keep running all this linehaul our prices will go up...and then our customers will go to competitors!!

Oh I do care...that is why I am here. NO UNION

Please stop responding to this thread. If this person is really a driver or dockworker they would know who to talk to in there yard and know where they can find us if they need questions answered. There responses are all management driven.

I really like how you cut the meat and potatoes out of my responses to make it seem as though you're winning this argument. As you seen, I posted all of your FXFE textbook anti-union regurgitations and gave you definitive answers. I gave you facts and first hand info which also conveniently got cut out.

I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed individual.

Best of luck.

I've worked at several hubs and I dont see this. You must be the guy in the break room the red shirt is always having to

You worked in a lot of hubs ! That says it all thank you and good night. Why are you debating with this guy ? Move on !

LOL[/QUOTE]

I see a lot of talk about these topics so I am curious as to how the Union will help?

Attendance.
I am a fan of the 180 day rolling attendance. I don't see how it can get any better?

Safety.
I think the latest scorecard is fair, no? If you don't think so then How would YOU want it to be laid out?

Pay
When I applied at competitive companies, FedEx had better wages...

Accountable
If you misload a shipment / drop trailer / ect, a steward won't save us from getting written up. Everyone is held accountable.
Hey George of the jungle go eat Fred Smith banana!!!

George, honestly your not a natural born blogger! If you manage the way you blog it's no wonder why these employee's at Fed Ex Freight need union representation.
Your a complete failure, now go back and explain to your puppet-master that you've been had !!

LOL....because I know policies at my work. I love you guys!

Every knows there is policy. And that policy is enforced in an subjective manner.

Example, smart guy: Next time you watch the forklift safety video, walk out onto the dock and see the obvious violations everywhere. Speeding forklifts (rule says "brisk walking pace"), as well as forklifts pushing a "train" of pallets. Both known violations that are both tolerated and encouraged, because they have become built into the target production numbers. No one gets written up for those. Same rule book says tractor must be shut off when your not in the seat, must use 3 point contact when entering/exiting cab, etc. etc.

Do you not see the blatant disregard for some rules while while enforcing others. Not to mention the weight (severity of offence) given to one over the other.

Please defend your precious rule book, and enforcement thereof...

Every knows there is policy. And that policy is enforced in an subjective manner.

Example, smart guy: Next time you watch the forklift safety video, walk out onto the dock and see the obvious violations everywhere. Speeding forklifts (rule says "brisk walking pace"), as well as forklifts pushing a "train" of pallets. Both known violations that are both tolerated and encouraged, because they have become built into the target production numbers. No one gets written up for those. Same rule book says tractor must be shut off when your not in the seat, must use 3 point contact when entering/exiting cab, etc. etc.

Do you not see the blatant disregard for some rules while while enforcing others. Not to mention the weight (severity of offence) given to one over the other.

Please defend your precious rule book, and enforcement thereof...

I'll grab this one....

Based on my experience what happens is in an union environment the rules just get a little more black and white. Many may find that a good thing. What happens in real life is supervisors don't want to spend time writing everybody up for every little petty violation so they don't. Then they use their discretion/subjectivity and end up writing somebody up and it doesn't stick because he/she let other people slide for doing the same thing. Eventually the environment is a real fun one where everybody is constantly getting written up for wiping their ass incorrectly, grievances are being filed on every little petty thing too. Next thing you know, it's a hoot just to go to work and see what kind of BS you are going to have to deal with today. The US vs. THEM divide will never be wider. You'll have your tiny COLA every year, you'll likely get very good health plan, you'll kick in just a few bucks (relatively speaking) for your union dues and you'll feel like you are working with a bunch of whiney little spoiled brats in such a ****-hole, you'll wonder where the good ol' company went.

I'll grab this one....

Based on my experience what happens is in an union environment the rules just get a little more black and white. Many may find that a good thing. What happens in real life is supervisors don't want to spend time writing everybody up for every little petty violation so they don't. Then they use their discretion/subjectivity and end up writing somebody up and it doesn't stick because he/she let other people slide for doing the same thing. Eventually the environment is a real fun one where everybody is constantly getting written up for wiping their ass incorrectly, grievances are being filed on every little petty thing too. Next thing you know, it's a hoot just to go to work and see what kind of BS you are going to have to deal with today. The US vs. THEM divide will never be wider. You'll have your tiny COLA every year, you'll likely get very good health plan, you'll kick in just a few bucks (relatively speaking) for your union dues and you'll feel like you are working with a bunch of whiney little spoiled brats in such a ****-hole, you'll wonder where the good ol' company went.

While "grabbing this one", you missed the entire point EX396, and you know you did. The point was the value of our current rules. They're not worth the the paper (actually cyber space) they are written on. I used the forklifts on the dock as an example. They (rules) are not enforced there because they are counted on to meet production goals. At speed. At every center. If the rules were enforced (union or not) there would not be write ups flying off the wall. In fact the workforce would SLOW the pace to a reasonable level. A level that can safely be sustained. The person I replied to seemed to cherish his studying of the rules. I too study the rules, but enforcement (from a driver's standpoint) has become challenging, at best. It was wrong expect perfection from drivers, to the point of critical write up for 1st offence, while they condonethe obvious violation of more severe safety policy on the dock.

Oh, and the "good ol' company already "went". We already get petty attempts at write ups, every chance they get, until very very recently...

Last edited by a moderator:
While "grabbing this one", you missed the entire point EX396, and you know you did. The point was the value of our current rules. They're not worth the the paper (actually cyber space) they are written on. I used the forklifts on the dock as an example. They (rules) are not enforced there because they are counted on to meet production goals. At speed. At every center. If the rules were enforced (union or not) there would not be write ups flying off the wall. In fact the workforce would SLOW the pace to a reasonable level. A level that can safely be sustained. The person I replied to seemed to cherish his studying of the rules. I too study the rules, but enforcement (from a driver's standpoint) has become challenging, at best. It was wrong expect perfection from drivers, to the point of critical write up for 1st offence, while they condonethe obvious violation of more severe safety policy on the dock.

Oh, and the "good ol' company already "went". We already get petty attempts at write ups, every chance they get, until very very recently...

SwampRatt,

I didn't miss your point. I understood it, agreed with it and therefore didn't debate it.

The point I chose to show is that you have to be careful what you wish for....kind of a live by the sword, die by the sword thing.

I also realize the good ol' company already went, but it is all relative. In my opinion you get the union in there and in the future you'll be longing for days like today.

The change "very, very recently" is what I alluded to in some other thread buried here as to the best case scenario. Scare the company into unionizing to the point that they change their treatment of employees without having to unionize. It's the only scenario that I see where BOTH SIDES WIN.

As many posts as I've made on this site that are anti-Teamster, I have never condoned the current treatment/atmosphere...rather offered my opinion that the Teamsters aren't the answer.