FedEx Freight | Reckless driving ticket

Hey just got a reckless driving ticket is it the same as speeding 15 over thanks for the info
Not sure but I would think it would be considered to be a major offense by the safety folks. I would find a good lawyer to try to get the charge reduced to a lesser offense. Good luck driver.

Hey just got a reckless driving ticket is it the same as speeding 15 over thanks for the info
I've never gotten a reckless driving ticket but I have received an "excessive speeding" ticket, 15mph over the speed limit....twice...albeit years ago.
As for excessive speeding, the first one results in a 12 month probation, ANYTHING else in 12 months and your gone.
As for the reckless driving, I'm assuming the consequences are the same but I'd have to check on that.

In either case, if you can get any and all charges dismissed, as I did in both cases, the company doesn't hold anything against you...it's as if it never happened.

Reckless driving and driving 15mph over speed limit are two different animals. Most companies worth while can not have a driver with a reckless driving ticket on their record. Get an attorney and pay what you have to to get it changed. Like DUI's pay the 10K to save your career.

I got two excessive speed tickets while at FedEx thankfully I got the second one a few months after the first probation dropped off. From what safety told me was if I got another ticket for 15 over in a year I was gone. When I get tickets I make sure its worth while to get it. First one was 19 over second was 28 over.

Reckless or Inattentive driving ticket in KS(can't speak for your state)doesn't cost any points against your licence, not counted as a moving violation.We had a driver save his HM endorsement when he spaced out some RRtracks with placarded trailers,He plea bargained his ticket from a hazmat violation to a reckless driving charge it saved his job.

I'm not sure what the policy is now, but when I was driving for FXF you had to report any moving violation to safety and training or the TM. Even if you went to court and was found not guilty. I never did agree with this policy. I do agree with the general consensus, get an attorney.

Reckless according to FMCSA is on the same list as speeding 15 (or more) over posted.

"
Serious Violations While Operating a Motor Vehicle (not to be confused with
Major violations, which are worse)
  • Speeding excessively, involving any speed of 24.1 kmph (15 mph) or more above the posted speed limit.
  • Driving recklessly, as defined by State or local law or regulation, including but, not limited to, offenses of driving a motor vehicle in willful or wanton disregard for the safety of persons or property.
  • Making improper or erratic traffic lane changes.
  • Following the vehicle ahead too closely.
  • Violating State or local law relating to motor vehicle traffic control (other than a parking violation) arising in connection with a fatal accident.
  • Driving a CMV without obtaining a CDL.
  • Driving a CMV without a CDL in the driver's possession.
  • Driving a CMV without the proper class of CDL and/or endorsements for the specific vehicle group being operated or for the passengers or type of cargo being transported."
http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/registration/commercial-drivers-license/states

The penalties for theses are disqualification for 60 days if convicted of any 2 in 3 years. 120 days for 3 in 3 years.

Source: http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/regulations/title49/section/383.51

And YES, 2 in 3 years (or any disqualification for that matter) will result in termination from FedEx, as far as I know. They could keep you around in a non driving capacity, but no return to driving... again, as far as I know (they won't).

Bottom line a conviction put one on the shortest of leashes, for 3 years.

My deepest sympathies go out to anyone in that situation. Personally I'd have to sell my motorcycles rather than risk a (2nd)15 over ticket.

I thought any major offense puts you on probation for 3 years. The guys here that have been through that were suspended 3 days and then placed on probation for 36 months. Also keep in mind if you get the ticket reduced FedEx looks at the original charge unless you get it dismissed all together.

That is true. Call it probation, whatever, same result. The 1st one makes you nervous, but it's the second one that'll get you canned. That's FedEx, not FMCSA. The law says you could come back in 60 days. FedEx says no thank you. :idunno:

That is true. Call it probation, whatever, same result. The 1st one makes you nervous, but it's the second one that'll get you canned. That's FedEx, not FMCSA. The law says you could come back in 60 days. FedEx says no thank you. :idunno:

We had a dock worker go through the ddc program. In less then a year he got 2 tickets for going 15 over on his way to work. He was disqualified for 3 years. So for 3 years he was a part time dock worker again and then went through the ddc program again. He transferred to another center and since has been fired.