ABF | Relo-Cubes

canaryinthemine

Retirement....The Job I Was Born To Have!
Credits
Anyone else had their Relo-Cube trailer taken away from them? Ours was yanked out a couple of weeks ago and put on a flatbed with another Cube trailer.

TM assures me that there won't be a Relo-Cube delivered in the four counties that we service in W. Pa. He obviously knows that'll be an automatic grievance.

He tells me that the justification for taking away our ability to deliver Cubes is that our terminal just didn't have the volume of Cube business that other terminals have. I don't quite believe that,......... I think it had more to do with several of our guys making it a systematic fiasco every time they were ....."forced".....to deliver Cubes.

Anybody else have this perception/problem?

Anyone else had their Relo-Cube trailer taken away from them? Ours was yanked out a couple of weeks ago and put on a flatbed with another Cube trailer.

TM assures me that there won't be a Relo-Cube delivered in the four counties that we service in W. Pa. He obviously knows that'll be an automatic grievance.

He tells me that the justification for taking away our ability to deliver Cubes is that our terminal just didn't have the volume of Cube business that other terminals have. I don't quite believe that,......... I think it had more to do with several of our guys making it a systematic fiasco every time they were ....."forced".....to deliver Cubes.

We have the old style & its still here, we get busy in the spring & fall with the cubes. With that being said if they were smart every terminal would have that new style with the forklift that attaches to the trailer & when its not being used for cubes make a run up with all the sky forts, 10" long crated play ground sets or the hardwood flooring from build direct or whatever long stuff that don't fit on our 3ft liftgates....This would save a lot of time & money....

I wouldn't cry over it myself. In fact I'd be more like :36:and :wee:

Well,.......as I tried to explain to some of our........."junior" ......employees........ Work is work. Yeah,......Relo-Cubes could be a pain........so can private homes and Turnkeys,.........but it's a day's work,......as opposed to sitting home on call.

I've repeatedly and profusely apologized for their not getting super-seniority when they got hired so they could work 9 to 5:30 (...heavy sarcasm....), but I'm afraid that some of our "junior" employees have a marked distaste for,......let's see if I got the full list:........Relo-Cubes, liftgates, private home deliveries, turnkey deliveries, food warehouses, long peddle runs, short volume runs, and any run involving hooking a set..........Oh,...and any sort of dock work.

So, .......we've been informed that if us "older" guys don't take the humper loads and liftgates,........they will quit and go to a "better" carrier,...........one who will appreciate their ........talents......more........

One more year Dear Lord.......

So, .......we've been informed that if us "older" guys don't take the humper loads and liftgates,........they will quit and go to a "better" carrier,...........one who will appreciate their ........talents......more........
Let 'em go, screw the company, they're getting what they're paying for. And we have them come through that won't pull a 53' trailer and they want to give that work to us just like they do with you.

Well...look at how well new hires will get treated over at New Penn.
New trucks, pick their work hours, pick their work, pick their vacations.

Now which reality is going to slap someone up side the head? The newbie gets all the easy runs with the newest equipment, while the senior men get the crap runs & old beat up tractors. Even in a non-union environment, I don't believe that recruiting video for a second. Maybe I am wrong, but we have been in the LTL business for to long to drink that bug juice. von.

I'm thinking of jumping ship then suing for falsely leading me over there.

There are a couple guys that have a knack for turning any peddle route into a complete catastrophe, of course management tries to hide them on easier routes. TM has to be reminded everyday seniority rules when picking routes, our senior guy has paid his dues and doesn't pay any sympathy to new guys who feel like they don't need to pay theirs. Being in the middle of the board, I still get my fair share of crap which is tolerable because I get to shove some down the line from time to time.

We rarely see relo cubes, if we happen to get some in the customer unloads them in the yard and hauls the contents themselves

Did I miss the part about the -15% and 25% pension contribution & what about being on call not to mention you need at least 3 days a week to enjoy the healthcare....

Did I miss the part about the -15% and 25% pension contribution & what about being on call not to mention you need at least 3 days a week to enjoy the healthcare....
It looks like they don't have any of that over there. It looks like I can tell the boss when I'll be in, what truck I will drive, what work I'll do and when I'll be on vacation.

Good God...I WISH they'd take our flatbed away!

Well,.......as I tried to explain to some of our........."junior" ......employees........ Work is work. Yeah,......Relo-Cubes could be a pain........so can private homes and Turnkeys,.........but it's a day's work,......as opposed to sitting home on call.

I've repeatedly and profusely apologized for their not getting super-seniority when they got hired so they could work 9 to 5:30 (...heavy sarcasm....), but I'm afraid that some of our "junior" employees have a marked distaste for,......let's see if I got the full list:........Relo-Cubes, liftgates, private home deliveries, turnkey deliveries, food warehouses, long peddle runs, short volume runs, and any run involving hooking a set..........Oh,...and any sort of dock work.

One more year Dear Lord.......
I hear ya, canary. A wise woman told me long ago: "Compitence earns responsibility." We've been married almost 30 years now.

There are a couple guys that have a knack for turning any peddle route into a complete catastrophe, of course management tries to hide them on easier routes. TM has to be reminded everyday seniority rules when picking routes, our senior guy has paid his dues and doesn't pay any sympathy to new guys who feel like they don't need to pay theirs. Being in the middle of the board, I still get my fair share of crap which is tolerable because I get to shove some down the line from time to time.
We don't have the 'luxury' of picking our routes by seniority. They're assigned to us...which sucks.

no, brother, not in atl. we have 2 flatbeds and 1 mini me trailer. they finally have bid that job(2 bids). we don't have a problem anymore since they are premium start times. in fact all of our driving bids are m-f except one across weekend to run rails. only drawback we're having is for about a year now we quit picking up on weekends. we're told the goal is for the system to go Monday -Friday for the dc's. I'll believe it when I see it. we currently have no empty cubes and about 60 inbound cubes waiting for delivery. I tried to reserve one for a move to Jacksonville and the first available reservation I could get was June 8. btw, just so you know they push cubes over trailers, way more revenue than a trailer. my quote with the good ole abf employee discount was 1320.00 to Jacksonville florida, a little over 4$ a mile. one more thing, we let old dominion handle some of our upacks and vice versa. reason being is neither of us are a registered household moving company and we can only haul so much before we'd have to change our icc registration. idk, just guessing