ABF | Right to work YAY!

Boilerpeddle

Drawing found in trailer
Credits
Ok so I guess we have right to work in Indiana whether for bad or worse.
Anyone in right to work states chime in a tell me what to expect in the way of changes, if any.
Does this mean a casual can work without paying dues?
Regular full time?

Yes they will be able to work without paying dues full and part time, I'm from NC a right to work state. We have a few drivers and dock workers not paying,

More union busting, are in China or the USA. Thats all this is about hoping the unions go broke from workers not paying dues. When we are all working for $8.00 per hour maybe then the states will be happy.

Union dues help pay for representation !
CBS_PERRY_MASON_015_IMAGE_CIAN.jpg

I'm from SC and our Governeror is trying to get legislation through that will lessen the power of unions when it comes to employees getting fired and then the union getting their jobs back. I'm a non union driver, but by no means anti union. I think it's crap and I also do not think it will pass.

Yes they will be able to work without paying dues full and part time, I'm from NC a right to work state. We have a few drivers and dock workers not paying,

So do they still qualify for a pension and have Union healthcare ? This is all new stuff to me and I wonder how it works. I thought if you are not paying dues, your not a dues paying member in good standing so no Union benefits. Are they on the seniority list ? I guess if their rights are violated they are on their own ?

So do they still qualify for a pension and have Union healthcare ? This is all new stuff to me and I wonder how it works. I thought if you are not paying dues, your not a dues paying member in good standing so no Union benefits. Are they on the seniority list ? I guess if their rights are violated they are on their own ?
I am pretty sure the union still has to represent non paying persons who are I guess considered non memebers.
This link here seems to support that.
Labor Unions: Duty of Fair Representation | Employee Rights Fact Sheet
Legally, the union has the same obligation to represent you fairly as it does to represent union members. You can ask the union to file a grievance if you are fired or disciplined, even if you are not a member.

In NH it seems to be the same.
Workers Are Never Required to Join Unions | Beat the Press
This means that non-members not only get the same wages and benefits as union members, but the union is also required to represent non-members in any conflict with the employer covered by the contract. For example, if a non-member is faced with an improper dismissal the union is obligated to provide them with the same representation as a union member.

i myself would not help you outif i new you didnot belong to our great union. just my way of thinking. if you need apart time job how much does your full time job pay 10..00hr. that what happenens in these hard times. just my opion.

I am pretty sure the union still has to represent non paying persons who are I guess considered non memebers.
This link here seems to support that.
Labor Unions: Duty of Fair Representation | Employee Rights Fact Sheet
Legally, the union has the same obligation to represent you fairly as it does to represent union members. You can ask the union to file a grievance if you are fired or disciplined, even if you are not a member.

In NH it seems to be the same.
Workers Are Never Required to Join Unions | Beat the Press
This means that non-members not only get the same wages and benefits as union members, but the union is also required to represent non-members in any conflict with the employer covered by the contract. For example, if a non-member is faced with an improper dismissal the union is obligated to provide them with the same representation as a union member.

What you have dug up here is true except.....the union is required to represent you...but there is no penalty for them representing you incompetently. If anyone thinks that they are going to get the same product for free that everyone else pays $720/year for they are mistaken. In the freight industry an overwhelming majority of the workers are paid members of the Teamsters Union in the right to work states. In other sectors (warehouse, buses etc) the percentages are lower. Sure thing non union brother/sister, I will represent you at your discharge hearing (wink, wink, adios).

ABFer said:
What you have dug up here is true except.....the union is required to represent you...but there is no penalty for them representing you incompetently. If anyone thinks that they are going to get the same product for free that everyone else pays $720/year for they are mistaken. In the freight industry an overwhelming majority of the workers are paid members of the Teamsters Union in the right to work states. In other sectors (warehouse, buses etc) the percentages are lower. Sure thing non union brother/sister, I will represent you at your discharge hearing (wink, wink, adios).
Yeah Icant see a BA going all out for a guy who doesnt pay dues.

We in ca. had a road driver from 130 phoenix az. AZ is a right to work state. This driver refused to be a teamster member
And was coming in to term 150 pico. We filed a grievance and stopped him from coming in to ca. I also heard he had trouble with his tires on his car. Then I heard he became a union member. Stopping him from coming in to ca. cost him money and not getting any runs. So there are ways to get these people to see the light. If they don't want to pay union dues. Go work for Estes, FedEx, and siai. Go and enjoy not having representation from abuse and being fired for no reason. Be a proud teamster :kicking:

We in ca. had a road driver from 130 phoenix az. AZ is a right to work state. This driver refused to be a teamster member
And was coming in to term 150 pico. We filed a grievance and stopped him from coming in to ca. I also heard he had trouble with his tires on his car. Then I heard he became a union member. Stopping him from coming in to ca. cost him money and not getting any runs. So there are ways to get these people to see the light. If they don't want to pay union dues. Go work for Estes, FedEx, and siai. Go and enjoy not having representation from abuse and being fired for no reason. Be a proud teamster :kicking:

Filing a grievance was the thing to do.But damaging his personal property is why a lot of people down the union.Why didn't they damage the tires on the company truck?

I think what all you gentlemen are referring to is what's known as the Beck Laws (Beck Vs. Communication Workers), and it's various permutations. You can be what's known as a "Fair Share" payer in a state that hasn't passed Right-to-Work laws. You have to pay your "Fair Share" for Union representation minus any determined portion of dues that go to Political Action. Technically, you are not a Union member, but they have to , ahem, "represent" you because your work is covered under a negotiated collective bargaining agreement. As I've said before, Unions are the only organization that can't pick it's own members. The employers do that for us. And sometimes they pick us some real doozies. If you don't understand the battle going on now for the hearts, minds, and souls of working people, present and future; I would suggest going to the library and checking out some books, starting with Upton Sinclair's "The Jungle". Once you're through that one, I'll give you the rest of the list.....in the hope that you are able to self-educate. At the turn of the century, we were in what was known as the "Robber Baron" era, where the millionaires used, abused and discarded working people like used tissue. For all their money and power, though, they could'nt make it illegal to be in a Union. Something bothersome like the First Amendment prevented it. Now we are in what I call the "Weasel Baron" era. Same tactics, except you have to go through a layer of lawyers to get to the billionaires. The lawyers are there to chisel away at the First Amendment and things like the Fair Labor Standards Act, and the National Labor Relations Act. Right-to-Work laws, Beck rulings, employment-at-will-laws are the chisels...and ,God Forbid! the working man is holding the chisel while Big Business swings the hammer! Good Grief! As my hero Pogo said, "We Have Met The Enemy, And He Is Us!"

NO, canaryinthemine what we are talking about is a little different from the beck rulings. In the US we all have the right to work any job and not join the union. Fair share is a term that seems to be given to workers in the public sector. Workers in the private sector have that same right but they have to pay a "service fee" or an "objector's fee". However, in "right to work" states they can work at a union job and pay NOTHING, ZILCH, NADA in dues and get the "same" deal as a dues paying member. In such cases the savings is 100% of the union dues, not just a small portion as is the case with fair share.

I can't understand 30-40 cents per hour (based on 40 hour work week) being too much to pay for a job insurance policy. I also don't understand the outright paranoia of belonging to a union. And I really don't understand why such a total anti union person would take a union job. I don't understand why non union people take the wages and bennies having a union in the industry gets for them. They should want to get paid according to their own ability. I guess I just don't understand.

My apologies Brother. I'm in Pennsylvania and we don't have Right-to-Work yet. We've had quite a few discussions about Beck laws and Fair Share at the Union meetings though. It appears that there are 2 full-time UPS feeder drivers in our Local that have invoked their Fair Share provisions under current Labor law and are only paying 92% of the dues their brothers and sisters are paying in the rest of the barn. Apparently money is the only consideration, not political views or dissent with the leadership of our Local. Imagine that! I find that disturbing that a highly paid feeder driver for UPS needs to save 8% of his Union dues to the detriment of our International Union in general and our Local in particular. It's not so much as the 8% as it is the accounting to keep things straight for these two clowns. I say "clowns" as I could respect their views if they were based on anything other than a "savings" of 8% of their dues. That's probably at least 3 extra bottles of beer a month! Now what you're telling me about Right-to-Work states allowing a Union member not to pay anything?.....Brother, I hope we never get Right-to-Work laws, and I know I'll pester the hell out of my Representatives on a daily basis if such a law is proposed in Pennsylvania. I know there's a few that haven't made it out of committee yet. Probably just a matter of time.

My apologies Brother. I'm in Pennsylvania and we don't have Right-to-Work yet. We've had quite a few discussions about Beck laws and Fair Share at the Union meetings though. It appears that there are 2 full-time UPS feeder drivers in our Local that have invoked their Fair Share provisions under current Labor law and are only paying 92% of the dues their brothers and sisters are paying in the rest of the barn. Apparently money is the only consideration, not political views or dissent with the leadership of our Local. Imagine that! I find that disturbing that a highly paid feeder driver for UPS needs to save 8% of his Union dues to the detriment of our International Union in general and our Local in particular. It's not so much as the 8% as it is the accounting to keep things straight for these two clowns. I say "clowns" as I could respect their views if they were based on anything other than a "savings" of 8% of their dues. That's probably at least 3 extra bottles of beer a month! Now what you're telling me about Right-to-Work states allowing a Union member not to pay anything?.....Brother, I hope we never get Right-to-Work laws, and I know I'll pester the hell out of my Representatives on a daily basis if such a law is proposed in Pennsylvania. I know there's a few that haven't made it out of committee yet. Probably just a matter of time.
Seemed like the whole working population made themselves known to our representatives along with the democrats walking out until they started accruing fines and we still got right to work. I am hoping that all those peoples memories last at least until the next election, I know mine will.

I can't understand 30-40 cents per hour (based on 40 hour work week) being too much to pay for a job insurance policy. I also don't understand the outright paranoia of belonging to a union. And I really don't understand why such a total anti union person would take a union job. I don't understand why non union people take the wages and bennies having a union in the industry gets for them. They should want to get paid according to their own ability. I guess I just don't understand.
I hear ya, Brother.

No need to apologize, there are a lot of people who don't know about that free ride in right to work states. In the freight industry there are not very many who do not pay dues in those states, we know what it's all about.

If an employee doesn't want to pay dues there are almost always other options to work for less somewhere else. And I am sure an employer somewhere would just love to have them.