ABF | Right to work YAY!

NO, canaryinthemine what we are talking about is a little different from the beck rulings. In the US we all have the right to work any job and not join the union. Fair share is a term that seems to be given to workers in the public sector. Workers in the private sector have that same right but they have to pay a "service fee" or an "objector's fee". However, in "right to work" states they can work at a union job and pay NOTHING, ZILCH, NADA in dues and get the "same" deal as a dues paying member. In such cases the savings is 100% of the union dues, not just a small portion as is the case with fair share.

I know if I was a steward in one of those states, any grievance filed by the non payers would somehow always find itself untimely.

Very simple.....you get to be a freeloading" Paycheck Teamster"......Right To Work (for less) states have the lowest medium wage and benefits based on the Union density of that state. Less Union members, means less wages and benefits. The lower the Union density, the harder it is to bargain a strong contract. That is why these anti-labor politicians are pushing RTW votes in their states.....it is nothing more but a ruse to destroy Unions and the middle-class along with it.....KK

Very simple.....you get to be a freeloading" Paycheck Teamster"......Right To Work (for less) states have the lowest medium wage and benefits based on the Union density of that state. Less Union members, means less wages and benefits. The lower the Union density, the harder it is to bargain a strong contract. That is why these anti-labor politicians are pushing RTW votes in their states.....it is nothing more but a ruse to destroy Unions and the middle-class along with it.....KK

So,in right to work states,if the majority of union members choose to pay their dues does that make any difference?

So,in right to work states,if the majority of union members choose to pay their dues does that make any difference?

In a RTW state....if, for example you have 500 workers in a locations that is under Union contract and the majority are Union, it does NOT mandate the others to join the Union. If you had 500 people in a location and contract time came up and you had less than 65% members at that location, it would be a long drwan out process to get a good contract, as the Company would see the weekness and would hope the workers would vote to get the Union out....OR worse yet, vote for an inferior contract....very dangerous....KK

In a RTW state....if, for example you have 500 workers in a locations that is under Union contract and the majority are Union, it does NOT mandate the others to join the Union. If you had 500 people in a location and contract time came up and you had less than 65% members at that location, it would be a long drwan out process to get a good contract, as the Company would see the weekness and would hope the workers would vote to get the Union out....OR worse yet, vote for an inferior contract....very dangerous....KK

Ok KK let me ask a question, I work for Fedex, under the RLA, which I don't think we should be under, but if we got organized under RLA rules, even in a right to work state wouldn't that mean that the dues would be taken out of our checks. I'm not sure about this as I do live in a RTW state, but I do know that there are some union companies in Texas.

Union dues would not be deducted from your paycheck if you chose not to join the union. By law the local that represents the company is required to represent all employees. We call those who do not join the union & pay dues but collect the wages & benefits that union members have fought for "FREELOADERS".
The local I am in was taken to court years ago by a fired management employee who filed a discrimination lawsuit against a company. The local was forced to hire an attorney to convince the judge that the "Right To Work Law " excluded mangement employees from union representation.
I knew a woman who was a steward at a manufacturing plant & she managed to get two FREELOADERS reinstated two times. When the steward asked them to join the union again they said "we don't have to join because we know you have to represent us. Finally fed up with the two FREELOADERS she said I am required to represent you but I am not required to win the next discharge appeal.

Ok KK let me ask a question, I work for Fedex, under the RLA, which I don't think we should be under, but if we got organized under RLA rules, even in a right to work state wouldn't that mean that the dues would be taken out of our checks. I'm not sure about this as I do live in a RTW state, but I do know that there are some union companies in Texas.

Under RLA.....you would not have to be a member per se of the Union, but you would have to pay that Local Union a Agency fee....KK

I may be mistaken but I think in this state a FREERIDER isn't required to pay union dues for representation from the local. We have had a few over the years that didn't want to join or pay dues during their probation period or working casual. They were usually persuaded it was in their best interest to join. It is difficult for a FREERIDER to make friends in a union shop.

In Ohio it is up to the member on whether to have their dues taken out of their pay checks or they can pay them at the hall on their own.

Dues check off from your paycheck is an option everywhere as far as I know. When on self pay you do run the risk of forgetting, falling behind and paying a penalty.

I may be mistaken but I think in this state a FREERIDER isn't required to pay union dues for representation from the local. We have had a few over the years that didn't want to join or pay dues during their probation period or working casual. They were usually persuaded it was in their best interest to join. It is difficult for a FREERIDER to make friends in a union shop.
I gotta say, paying 2 1/2 hrs pay when sometimes you are only working 5 to 10 hrs a month can be excessive. The union came to us two contracts ago and said they needed that extra 1/2 hr a month to fortify the strike fund, and we haven't had a strike vote since, but they never came back and said we need to go back to 2 hrs.... I think they can use some of that money to help with guys that aren't getting full time hours. That being said, I hate a freeloader... When you start working full time hours, pay your fair share..

I gotta say, paying 2 1/2 hrs pay when sometimes you are only working 5 to 10 hrs a month can be excessive. The union came to us two contracts ago and said they needed that extra 1/2 hr a month to fortify the strike fund, and we haven't had a strike vote since, but they never came back and said we need to go back to 2 hrs.... I think they can use some of that money to help with guys that aren't getting full time hours. That being said, I hate a freeloader... When you start working full time hours, pay your fair share..

I don't know, I remember things a little differently. Hoffa set up a "blue ribbon commission" to figure out what to do about the IBT's fiscal losses. They determined (go figure) that the only solution to the dilemma was to raise our dues to alleviate the losses. If you were around long enough and your memory is good enough you will remember that Ron Carey had us vote on a dues increase (can you believe we voted against it?) to do what Hoffa did without our vote. Our strike situation is a different story. The IBT sucked up to the AFL-CIO in or around 1994 because they offered to back our depleted strike fund at the time. Since then Hoffa shoved it up their a** and pulled out of the AFL-CIO over a difference in organizing strategies.

Alabama is a right to work state but I always paid my dues, even way back when I was a casual. I hope that a dues skipper wouldn't be so naive to think he is going to be represented vigorously if he/she has a grievance, or would think he had a right to something he did not support. Union might lose your pension file or something, make you sue them for your benefits. Now that's funny right there, I don't care who you are...Sue the Union! Cause you didn't pay dues, but you want equal treatment! :-) Good luck! Me, I'd just rather join them! Trust me, it's nice to hear that old business agent say, "Send me that grievance, I think I can win that one for you." If you don't like Union labor, move to China!

OK in a right to work state, you don't have to pay dues or join the union, but still get the "support" if you have some kind of grievance. I understand why that would tork some people off, it would tork me also, even tho I'm non at this time. But if a "freeloader" was fired for a wrong reason and wasn't defended with the same passion as a member, when and if a member was fired for the same reason, wouldn't that set a precedent for the grievance committee (if this is right) to find in favor of the company? I'm asking this because I just don't know, but if it is right then it would explain why your stewarts and BAs would fight for these people the same as a member. Also if your a nonpaying worker, does the company still have to put money in the pension for you? I thought you had to be a member in good standing to be able to collect a pension.

OK in a right to work state, you don't have to pay dues or join the union, but still get the "support" if you have some kind of grievance. I understand why that would tork some people off, it would tork me also, even tho I'm non at this time. But if a "freeloader" was fired for a wrong reason and wasn't defended with the same passion as a member, when and if a member was fired for the same reason, wouldn't that set a precedent for the grievance committee (if this is right) to find in favor of the company? I'm asking this because I just don't know, but if it is right then it would explain why your stewarts and BAs would fight for these people the same as a member. Also if your a nonpaying worker, does the company still have to put money in the pension for you? I thought you had to be a member in good standing to be able to collect a pension.

That would seem logical, but in the world I live in you usually get what you pay for, I've been paying Dues for nearly 26 years, and at the worst they were a bargain. I've never heard of a freeloader in a Teamster shop. Maybe part-timers, and that's understandable. I paid dues even as a casual, since I was getting a pension contribution paid on me every tour of duty I worked. When I went full-time I was not charged an initiation fee, since I had sent in part-time dues, which by the way were about half what a full-timer pays. Unions have taken such a bad rap, but what makes a Union strong is a hard working, enthusiastic membership. Make your company as much money as you can, and hopefully they will bring some of it to the negotiating table. It is a myth that you don't have to work hard in a Union shop, or that you can't be fired. But if, and when you are fired, you have representation! If it is proven unjust you will be re-instated! If your boss asks you to violate a DOT rule or such, you can refuse and file a grievance if necessary. Start times each day have to be offered in seniority order, etc. I would encourage anyone that has an opportunity to join the Union to do it!

Should you end up in a situation like other people who are union members had you would probably luck out. If you get into a different situation you might not be so lucky. The pension contributions go with the employer regardless of whether or not you pay union does.

Are there numbers on how many people freeload? I cant imagine why anybody would want to.

Those numbers are small in the freight industry. When you get into warehouses and smaller non-freight shops the number of non-members increases. I do not know what the numbers are.

However, in order to avail yourself of all of this non-members must pay their "fair share" of the cost of representation. The cost is paid monthly, like dues. Depending upon the local union involved, could give you a discount of 5 to 25 dollars per month. I am not sure "fair share" payments are tax deductible.